How often do you give your cobs a sun bath?

SmokeRings

Patron
Deliberately, not incidentally in the course of being outdoors while smoking, just reamed and gave my MT a sun bath, it's been getting battered to the tune of 5-10 bowls a day for a few weeks now, think it's going on the shelf for the CG for a week or so, how often do you guys do anything of the sort to your cobs?

SmokeRings

Patron
I definitely believe in the well documented ability of sunlight to kill bacteria/viruses, and I have found that it definitely sweetens up a cob in the way a grain alcohol bath might sweeten a briar, probably would work the same either way honestly, but grain alcohol is a federal penitentiary crime on a commercial vehicle, so sunbathing and pipe master clean & cure will just have to take the place of it

Ethor

I have 13 cobs, eleven of them are in pretty heavy rotation (once or twice a week). Try to give them a 6hr sunbath once every other month, if the humidity is low. Trouble is, in South Florida, end of May is the last of the low humidity til October.

BradNTx

I don’t rotate my cobs usage equally, so sunbathing is a bit opportunistic. I‘m pretty good about cleaning them with pipe cleaners after a smoke. If one gets a little funky or sour, even after a week of rest, I’ll sun bathe it. Direct sunlight down the bowl for an hour or two definitely works.

Chico

Maybe once a year, but I think forgot last year. Thanks for the reminder! I only have 3 or 4.

Public service announcement to noobs: Don't try this with briars! I did it my first year smoking, with about 10 pipes that belonged to my dad. I'd cleaned them up, reamed, sterilized, alcohol treatment, etc. then though I'd let them rest in the sun to freshen up. Back to the stem polishing....:lol2:

SmokeRings

Patron
Maybe once a year, but I think forgot last year. Thanks for the reminder! I only have 3 or 4.

Public service announcement to noobs: Don't try this with briars! I did it my first year smoking, with about 10 pipes that belonged to my dad. I'd cleaned them up, reamed, sterilized, alcohol treatment, etc. then though I'd let them rest in the sun to freshen up. Back to the stem polishing....:lol2:
Lol, caveat to this being that pipes with a Vulcanite/rubberized stem material will oxidize much faster than something like acrylic