"Ideal" Minimum Number of Pipes

Pie Eyed Piper

If you smoke only 1 to 2 blends and don't dedicate I'd say 3.
If you like a really fresh pipe like I do then at least 7, one for each day of the week. It all depends how often you smoke too. If you're an all dayer 2 pipes won't really cut it. They won't get a chance to rest and you won't be cleaning it as much as you should and you'll lose flavor and aroma .

AndyNJ

If you smoke only 1 to 2 blends and don't dedicate I'd say 3.
If you like a really fresh pipe like I do then at least 7, one for each day of the week. It all depends how often you smoke too. If you're an all dayer 2 pipes won't really cut it. They won't get a chance to rest and you won't be cleaning it as much as you should and you'll lose flavor and aroma .

Piper, that's how I see it too and glad you put my PAD in perspective. I like 5-6 blends and like to try now ones. These blends are mostly all VA flakes and some burley flakes, some loose cut's mostly all VAs. Meaning going on 40 pipes I am on the right track. 7 days times 8 blends. Had 15 pipes when I joined. You offer phone consultation too?

AceFour

Poker is a hard way to make an easy living. -Doyle
Patron
I am trying to keep slightly higher at 40, which is my wall mounted pipe rack + one churchwarden. Been tough, sold my first non-cheap pipe on eBay recently that I hadn't touched in years. When I eyeball the pipes there a few I could easily replace. Many of those pipes will likely be donated to new pipers.

nhamms

I think with all honesty that three pipes is enough if you had to go with just a few pipes that give them time to rest between smokes. If you are on a budget is think you could get buy with one cheap cob that you just smoked every time because they are cheap enough to replace if you had to. Brands really in my opinion don't matter as long as the pipe smokes well an you enjoy it.

I have any affinity for vintage antique estate pipes and while I own new pipes is always lean to my pipes that I feel have history and a story. I have around 40 pipe right now and do not keep a specific rotation when I want a pipe is just grab the one that I am feeling at the time off the rack. I tend to do the same with tobacco is just go to the rack and grab the one that sounds good in that moment. I lean toward bent pipes being my favorite but smoke the straight ones too. But if I had to pick my favs I could probably pick a rotation of 6 or 7 pipes.

Mike N

I am a true believer that the longer a pipe “rests” and dries out after 2-3 bowls, the better it smokes the next time. Even if I clean it thoroughly, a pipe tastes differently to me (worse) than it did on the first go-around If I don’t let it rest. So, the more pipes, the longer the drying time before it’s pressed back to action. I think a minimum of 6-8 pipes in rotation is needed to guarantee a fresh smoke. It’s not like wearing the same broken in pair of boots everyday.

i own over 100 pipes, and except for a few, try to smoke them all. If I keep consciously skipping one or more, off they go to Smoking Pipes estates for an estimate, store credit and an upgrade.

Last edited:

Mike N

I think with all honesty that three pipes is enough if you had to go with just a few pipes that give them time to rest between smokes. If you are on a budget is think you could get buy with one cheap cob that you just smoked every time because they are cheap enough to replace if you had to. Brands really in my opinion don't matter as long as the pipe smokes well an you enjoy it.

I have any affinity for vintage antique estate pipes and while I own new pipes is always lean to my pipes that I feel have history and a story. I have around 40 pipe right now and do not keep a specific rotation when I want a pipe is just grab the one that I am feeling at the time off the rack. I tend to do the same with tobacco is just go to the rack and grab the one that sounds good in that moment. I lean toward bent pipes being my favorite but smoke the straight ones too. But if I had to pick my favs I could probably pick a rotation of 6 or 7 pipes.
Yep, it s fun to “shop” your own collection for under-appreciated pipes. Like a rescue dog, they can give you a lot of love. The correct answer to “How many more pipes do you need?” is, ‘just one more.’”

Spearheadbill

“so it goes…”
I have a pipe, savinelli 622 ks that i've been smoking once per day for a couple months. every morning i fill it with Wilke dark oriental and sip my coffee and smoke my morning pipe. never was I consciously "dedicating" this pipe to that blend but the other day I loaded some Mac Baren royal twist and fired it up.... disgusting! sour rancid taste that overwhelmed the mild twist. I dumped it after awhile and grumpled off to work! probably, maybe I can either smoke a stronger blend or salt clean it but since I do love the dark oriental I just have a pipe dedicated to it! completely organic turn of events but I was surprised and learned a valuable pipe lesson.

Cap

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking but I can tell you that it's ADDICTIVE!!!
Yeppers its known as
PAD
TAD

Pipe Addiction Disorder
Tobacco Adiction Disorder

But be of good cheer you are amongst a family full of PAD & TAD
We can help you through this.
We can help you create bigger cellars and custom pipe organizers.
Shoot we all can help you not feel like you are hording your $$$

Yeah we is good people this here family we call PSD
:wizard: :doh::doh::wizard: As long as you are not seeing double - its all good!

Second Breakfast

I'm guessing most of us have way more pipes than we really need. This is for newer members who have heard many conflicting opinions as to how much use pipes can take. It is possible to have only 1 pipe that is in constant use. Frequent use of pipe cleaners is just about mandatory. Although I own North of forty pipes, I am sure I could survive with 3. This from a guy who goes through a 14 oz. tub of Carter Hall per month. I settled on 3 as I would want briar, cob and Meer. Those 3 would be a higher end briar billiard such as many of our resident artisans make. The cob would be a good size bowl such as a Country Gentleman. But I would most likely have one of our cob cobblers drill it to 7/8", replace the shank with some thing like maple, drilled 5/32" and vulcanite or acrylic stem. Last, but not the least, would be a good Meer billiard. In my experience, Altinok would be considered a starting point. Baki is a good choice also, but spendier. I would most likely smoke one for the whole day. Using pipe cleaners as needed. Then put it up and let it rest for 2 days and repeat with the next 2 pipes. Keep them swabbed out with pipe cleaners and clear bowl with wadded up paper towel. If possible let pipe return to ambient temperature before smoking it again. Make sure your puffing and loading techniques are solid so as to avoid smoking too hot and/or wet.. YMMV.
I started months ago and I already have 3. I think 3 is good so you have one for all major blends.

Top Bottom