What's new

Initiating "Dunhill Nightcap Apocalypse Protocol"

Zembla

Now that I have finished the last of my jarred Nightcap, I am down to 11 tins of my first love, the first tobacco I smoked when I picked up the pipe in 1975.

My plan is to pop a tin on each of my next 10 birthdays, beginning this July. If my willpower holds, this means I'll be able to give myself a special treat every year up through my 71st summer.

The last one, the 11th one, I'll probably keep almost forever.

What is your strategy for rationing your favorite Dunhill or McClelland blends?

Last edited:

Zembla

Thanks to Watch City, by the time my last McClelland tin is smoked, it'll be by someone else, because I'll be pushing up daisies.

If there were no Watch City, I'd probably limit myself to one tin per month until I ran out.

Cool strategy!
Yeah, part of me wishes I had stocked up more. I was about to pop a new tin when it suddenly struck me that I’d better start thinking about a Nightcap endgame since I have so little left.

The good news is that the death of Nightcap forced me to seek alternatives, which led to my discovery of such wonderful blends as Byzantium, Ten Russians, and Star of the East.

Last edited:

Oouder

I’ve got a thing for EMP. I keep it to one tin a month. I have a bunch of bulk EMP I jarred up right at the end from those 5LB bags. I stuffed the jars so full I’m hoping they just don’t age for lack of air. Hopefully that will stay for 10-15yrs jarred.

I’ve got maybe 15-20 tins of the other dunhill blends each but none of them are a daily smoke I will lament.

I think 3 oaks Syrian is the only McClellands blend I really liked. I’ve git a few tins but no plan behind them since I’d probably be best served to smoke them now at the 8-10 year mark then try to keep them. The decline will happen soon with that Latakia I bet.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Even after a year I still haven’t totally worked out my strategy for McC. Prior to their closing, McC was probably half of what I smoked. For the first 6-8 months after, I hardly smoked any at all as I was trying all the other VAs and VaPers I had overlooked for so long. Now I have several new favorites and have cellared accordingly. Going forward I can see every fourth bowl being McC vs every other bowl before- at that pace my McC cellar will still last me 30 years at an overall pace of 1-2 bowls per day. That will likely be my game plan but I’ve had a lot of fun trying so many new blends and I’ll probably keep looking until there isn’t anything left to try. I’m a good ways there but not yet.

cigrmaster

The only Dunhill blends I cellared deep were Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls. I loaded up years ago and have no need to ration.

The only MC blend in my cellar is Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved. I could smoke a tin a month for the foreseeable future and not run out. When I was told by a source I trusted that MC was closing, I loaded up on the Butera very quickly. There were people back then who were in denial and refused to believe they were closing.

Noquarter

Ive got lbs of MC 5100 cellared a few years back when I figured out that they make the perfect change of pace smoke for me. I may open a jar soon if ever I need to reset my tastebuds.
As for my my favourite blend(pre-merger C&D OJK), I actually haven’t rationed it. I’m left with an 8oz mason jar that I’ll probably crack open when I believe I’ve found a good replacement for it.

MURPH

Now that I have finished the last of my jarred Nightcap, I am down to 11 tins of my first love, the first tobacco I smoked when I picked up the pipe in 1975.

My plan is to pop a tin on each of my next 10 birthdays, beginning this July. If my willpower holds, this means I'll be able to give myself a special treat every year up through my 71st summer.

The last one, the 11th one, I'll probably keep almost forever.

What is your strategy for rationing your favorite Dunhill or McClelland blends?
Hit me up in ten years. I have 20 tins. By then they will have 17-25 -years on them.

No strategy, if the whim arose I could polish off all the Mc and Dunhill here within a month. Couple tins of Beacon, couple Best Bayou and a couple jars of 2015. Still bummed and likely will remain so but I'm not saving them, when they're gone they're gone, no idea how long it'll take to bring myself to crack open that final one though.

Try Ashton Artisan's Blend. Taste is personal but I believe these are similar and to me, Ashton's is a superior blend. Very reasonably priced as well. I understand, to some extent, your sentimental reasons. So find a replacement ASAP and then crack a tin of Nightcap for special occasions only. Jar up the tin and only open the jar occasionally to smoke. There are so many superb blends available, you don't need to get hung up on one.

blackmouth210

This. My philosophy has become "smoke 'em while ya got 'em". Which, in the case of my rapidly dwindling Deluxe Navy Rolls, will not be that long...
That's a sound philosophy.
Not unlike the experience some have when saving that special wine, nice dinnerware, or expensive suit for special occasions that never come.
No man is promised tomorrow.