Interesting News About Gawaith Hoggarth

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
Ha ha Kretek international, do they import the djarum clove flavored cigars /cigarettes as well? Those are called kretek in Indonesia after the crackling noise they make while burning.
To my knowledge, yeah, I believe so. But it also says:

Erik Stokkebye, Brand Manager at Kretek of pipes and pipe tobacco noted:

“As a fourth-generation master crafter at 4th
Generation, I know a thing or two about pipe tobacco. Gawith Hoggarth is a brand my family has long-admired for its traditions and its quality. It has the values of a Kretek product, and using its distribution arm will only strengthen the brand even further. I’m very pleased to welcome them to the Kretek family.

So... it's Stokkebye? Kretek is a sub-brand of Stokkebye?

RazorbackFan

The article states that the new distributor will distribute “about 30 blends”, but there are almost twice that many GH&C blends currently in the U.S. lineup (when available, of course). Check out SP’s site and you’ll see what I mean.

I hope this doesn’t mean that the new distributor is reducing the amount of blends available.

Kayro

One can only hope. They make some outstanding blends. Its a mystery to me why some tobacco that is still in production falls into the rarely seen catagory. Where there is a demand any sane business model would indicate increased production and distribution to fill that void. If it becomes readily available I will buy it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Kayro

I have commented before on the business model. You would increase production as best you can especially in the current regulatory model. Strike while the iron is hot. Look to short term planning on production capabilities. Whatever!
Absolutely correct. There is money to be made there. Maybe its a staid and stodgy attitude among upper management. If so, the stockholders at G&H need to send them home to drink tea and watch reruns of Eastenders. Lots of Euros floating by them and nobody cares to reach out and grab some? There is something truly strange and alien about that.

Condor

Absolutely correct. There is money to be made there. Maybe its a staid and stodgy attitude among upper management. If so, the stockholders at G&H need to send them home to drink tea and watch reruns of Eastenders. Lots of Euros floating by them and nobody cares to reach out and grab some? There is something truly strange and alien about that.
Right... I have no idea about these companies, but most maybe privately held and not concerned about public shareholders. Or might be subs of public corporations , which would demand they become productive as that would run to the public shareholders. Unfortunately, my view is that there is no long range concern about building the business model. Not a growth industry , but stagnant and moving in the other direction. No source of investment .

Last edited:

Grimpeur

Boy, every so often, the UK companies sure get a drubbing.

Two things said so far stand out: they take care of the home market that has kept them alive for around two centuries; I like that loyalty. They don't exist to serve the mercurial whims of hoarders and speculators. And, I don't really know much (any) more about the three remaining UK producers than you. Bob Gregory of SG has been interviewed here and there; he's often good for a colourful, pithy comment or two. I recall an article in P&T about Germain's. GH is so tight-lipped, their stuff might be blended by Oompaloompas for all I know...

What (very!) little I have gleaned is that any company making quality tobacco is getting it in the neck, coming and going. Increase production? It's not like they can ring down to the engine room and get full-speed ahead; it's agriculture, man! Which needs planning ahead and aged product. Not to mention these wee companies are up against contract buying by the giant multinationals. In my twenties I was involved with buying and selling produce, and I'm at it again in my "retirement". Despite all the government and societal support and encouragement, the fluctuations in price, quality and availability is remarkable.

All those hurdles have been cleared, the blend is ready...oh, no! Guess what, the x thousands of gold tinted tins have just been declared against the law by new Euro regulations. That just happened; the tint is too evocative of luxury. The little patches of blue on the SG Skiff label? Now also no longer allowed; makes the product seem too healthy. One could go on, but it must be discouraging for the the small companies trying to figure a way forward in a remarkably and increasingly hostile environment.

This seems to be a difficult thing to grasp: some companies are every bit as concerned about quality as quantity; that sets limits, like it or not.

I won't complain about my having to go without, for a short period, once in awhile. Instead, I'm impressed and grateful that they carry on at all.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the new distributor helps. Interestingly enough, after the run on GH a few weeks ago, Smokingpipes was able to restock quite a number of their blends...as of yesterday anyhow.