What's new

Is it mold? (Smoker's Haven OBB)

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Sorry for the noob post, but I have not grown accustomed to spotting the mold vs. natural crystals on pipe tobacco as yet. Other than some nicely plumed flakes I've received in trade, I haven't experienced either in tins that I have opened.

This morning I popped a tin of Smoker's Haven Our Best Blend, my first. Below are the sights that greeted me (one shot unadulterated from top of tin, the other picking a few bits out for a closer look). In a fit of concern, I also popped a second tin, with similar results.

On cigars, I've had an easy time distinguishing mold from plume, but the ribbon cut tobacco here is confusing me. On the one hand, this is a very well-reputed blend (though I don't know precisely how much aging is on this tobacco), and since both tins were the same, it makes me think nothing's amiss. On the other, I only notice it at the top of the tins, and there is no sparkle or shine. It really seems more powdery. The white is fairly thick and consistent across the broken flakes where it appears, and it definitely seems to favor the pieces of latakia.

Tins smell fine. Check that, they smell DELICIOUS. Should I be worried, or am I just the happy owner of some fantastic tobacco? If yes, is this standard for the Smoker's Haven blends?

20190304_110559.jpg 20190304_111158.jpg

Chico

I think it's the signature Germain's white goop that's most prominent on Blackpool. I'm convinced it's the licorice topping they use. Even though it's not really strong, it seems to crystalize easily. Once upon a time, on a forum far far away, I sent a sample to @dwaugh to examine under one of his scanning electron microscope doohickeys. The world waits with bated breath.....:poke:

DrumsAndBeer

If the smell was bad I would be concerned.

I have several ounces of Ramsgate, Tilbury and a bit of Blackpool that looks exactly like that and they are all fine.

The craziest case of plume that I have seen is on a chunk of Revor plug that I am still whittling my way through. It looks like a dark chocolate brownie dusted with powdered sugar. Smells great and it's definitely not molded.

Talking about mold: I have a hydrostone, but when I want to moisten the tobacco, instead of putting the hydrostone directly in between the tobacco, I put the tobacco in a closed pouch, in a zip-bag with the hydrostone separately in the same zip-bag. One time though, while travelling, I did put the hydrostone directly in between the tobacco, and subsequently left it probably too long or while the hydrostone was still too moist. The hydrostone came out genuinely moldy, up to the point that I've never been able to clean it up properly afterwards (yeah, I just need to buy a new one), and the stone, the tobacco, and some tobacco in a separate pouch that had been in the same zip-bag, all smelled genuinely moldy.

The smell was akin to that of my late grandfather's souvernir drawer, old military trenchcoat, and such. The tobacco looked fine though, so I lit it, and it was,.. fine! So in summary, unless you suspect it to be some killer fungus, even if it is mold, it's probably okay. You're setting it on fire after all, and going through grandpa's souvenirs as a kid was fun too right? :LOL:

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I had left a message at Smoker's Haven, just to be sure. Got a call back from one of the guys who oversees the purchasing and tinning from Germain - whose name I forget, but some of you here doubtlessly will know it - and sent him my pictures. He said it was incredible - had never seen plume so concentrated on this blend.

Maybe this is THE Best Blend.

John Lawitzke

I had left a message at Smoker's Haven, just to be sure. Got a call back from one of the guys who oversees the purchasing and tinning from Germain - whose name I forget, but some of you here doubtlessly will know it - and sent him my pictures. He said it was incredible - had never seen plume so concentrated on this blend.

Maybe this is THE Best Blend.
That would be Premal Chedda since he is the owner and sole employee of Smoker's Haven.