I've been on an Aromatic Bender...

Big G

Beginning the 1st part of this past November, I started almost exclusively smoking aromatic pipe tobaccos.

It all started in November with Peretti's Thanksgiving Day & Straus Tobacconists Sleepy Hollow

In early December I decided to go with a number of Holiday blends I've accumulated over the last few years:
Cornell & Diehl Jolly Old St. Nicholas
Gawith, Hoggarth, & Co. Bosun Cut Plug (maybe it's the clove that says Holiday to me)
Peretti Holiday 1951, Yuletide 2015, Yuletide 2016 & Yuletide 2018
Milan Tobacconists Christmas Blend
Straus Tobacconist Wenceslas
Sutliff Christmas Spice
Uhle's To All a Good Night - 2016 Christmas Blend

While usually I enjoy a variety of straight VA's, burleys, VaPers, VaBurs, etc., I discovered I really enjoyed these aromatic blends & was surprised I didn't tire of smoking them exclusively. I also noticed I didn't wind up with a bunch of goop at the bottom of any of my pipes. I'm now back to the usual mix of a little of everything but can't help but wonder if/when I'll fall off the wagon again...

Oouder

@Big G what is your favorite of the lot (if you had to pick one)? I’ve been smoking a bunch of Peretti’s Cuban and Mick McQuaid plug lately. I could smoke Mick McQuaid almost exclusively as long as I could smoke some EMP every now and then and it never goops my pipes. I know what you mean it seems like each time I open a plug i’ll only smoke it like I’m looking for that additional flavor. I’ve never tried Boswell’s but I hear they do aros very well. Have you ever tried Boswells?

blackmouth210

I haven't gone on the kind of bender you went on @Big G.
But I'm all over the place on a regular basis.
I just don't know what I'm going to feel like smoking tomorrow.
I can go from a VA today to the goopiest aro tomorrow and smoke several different latakia blends in between.
Then it's burley blend otc's the day after that.

Just another reason to have a wide cellar rather than only having a deep cellar.

MURPH

It has been years since I smoked any aromatics. I did pick up some Perretti's Thanksgiving blend for the last 3 years but I don't know if I would call it an aromatic. Don't think I'll be buying any more. I haven't finished what I have and find myself not reaching for it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Big G what is your favorite of the lot (if you had to pick one)? I’ve been smoking a bunch of Peretti’s Cuban and Mick McQuaid plug lately. I could smoke Mick McQuaid almost exclusively as long as I could smoke some EMP every now and then and it never goops my pipes. I know what you mean it seems like each time I open a plug i’ll only smoke it like I’m looking for that additional flavor. I’ve never tried Boswell’s but I hear they do aros very well. Have you ever tried Boswells?
Where can you still find Mick McQuaid?

Big G

If I had to pick one it'd probably be the most recent Yuletide from Peretti with C&D's Jolly Old St. Nicholas & Straus' Wenceslas close behind. Peretti's Cuban Mixture is the most complex blend I have stashed away in my humble cellar.

I'm a big fan of Boswell's aromatic blends. Christmas Cookie is available year-round & is terrific. I also really like No Bite DeLite, Rum River, & Piper's Pleasure. The most recent blend I'm working on from Boswell is Cupcake - so far pretty tasty.

A couple years ago my wife & I went to Ireland for our 25th Anniversary. Picked up some Mick McQuaid Plug at James Fox in Dublin - it's resting in the cellar waiting its turn... I think now only the Ready Rubbed is available.