Kingfisher and Pelican Still Being Produced??

BSTpipes

That'll do, Pig.
Sales
Kingfisher's totally different than Pelican. Pelican's really good, a fat oriental-forward easy ride, a little like Skiff. Kingfisher's a va/per with burley, and probably some magic sauce, but it's deep and sweet, the perique is peppery, the whole thing is pretty huge and it tastes really good. It's top shelf stuff, and exists in a class that has very few other participants. McClelland had a few Va/Per/Bur but they tended to get topped (like Gray Havens) and ruined imho by it. There may be burly in Scottish Cake, in which case it would qualify. And Mac Baren Roll Cake rings some of the same bells as Kingfisher, but in a more mundane way - it's tasty stuff but lacks that Germain depth of flavor.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
Pelican and Kingfisher have gone the way of the dodo round these parts......much like the local B&M....very few in NJ. At least when it comes to pipe tobacco. I'm shocked that people are finding it in local stops. has anyone had Kingfisher? Better than Pelican?
Kingfisher is a VaBurPer and Pelican is an English blend.

Here's my Kingfisher review:
The burley is earthy, woody, and nutty with some molasses, and occasionally takes a small lead. The Virginias offer a potent tart and tangy citrus and lemon with a lot of grass, bread, sugar, and mild wood and earth notes. Its overall effect changes as it leads more often than it doesn’t. The earthy, woody perique is a smaller support player with some spice, stewed, sugary raisins, plums and fig notes. Sometimes, it recedes a mite. The strength and nic-hit are a couple of steps past the center of mild to medium. The taste just reaches the medium threshold. Won’t bite, but fast puffing may result in a small harsh note. Has a few rough edges. Packed in crumble cake form, it’s easy to break apart. Burns at a slow pace, fairly cool, clean, and a little creamy at times. It will require a number of relights. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. There’s a fair amount of nuance in the flavor, which tends to be inconsistent as it will change on you several times during the smoke. The pleasant after taste lingers a mite. The room note is a tad stronger. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran, but not over all.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I appreciate that,
I would love to get my hands on Kingfisher. Pelican is supposedly not as good as it used to be.

@Ozark Wizard I'd send you Pelican if you like, I think I have a can around here that I'm probably not going to be smoking
I'm only looking for the tins though. I don't want to put you out on a hard to find blend.

PipeInTheD

Kingfisher was one of my all time favorite tobaccos, back at the time that it was available. Back in probably 2002 - 2005'ish? I had a B&M locally that had it in stock, regularly. Mind you, this was back when tins of Penzance were right next to it, all the time.

Of all the Va/Bur/P blends I've smoked over the years, Kingfisher still stands out in my mind. I searched for a "replacement" years ago... found some great blends that I enjoy a lot. But none are the same.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kingfisher was one of my all time favorite tobaccos, back at the time that it was available. Back in probably 2002 - 2005'ish? I had a B&M locally that had it in stock, regularly. Mind you, this was back when tins of Penzance were right next to it, all the time.
Back then my local tobacconist primarily stocked Mac Baren and Dan Tobacco. So I had no idea what else was out there. I guess I missed the "good old days."

What the heck happened that Germain's is hardly available in the United States now, if it was readily available a few years ago?