Kingfisher and Pelican Still Being Produced??

PipeInTheD

Back then my local tobacconist primarily stocked Mac Baren and Dan Tobacco. So I had no idea what else was out there. I guess I missed the "good old days."

What the heck happened that Germain's is hardly available in the United States now, if it was readily available a few years ago?
Ya know... its a good question.

But, that was pre large online forums ( I think )... and it was before the rise of the large e-tailers ( I think ). It was definitely before I KNEW anything about e-tailers or forums.

Its funny because I was buying tins of Penzance, Margate and Kingfisher bcause they were available at my B&M. Not because I was seeking them out.

Chico

Pelican in those round tins with the old rectangular label is an aesthetic abomination, but I'm sure you'll enjoy what's inside. It really is a great blend. Margate is probably the most similar of the other Eso/Germain blends I've tried, but Pelican has a smoothness that's unique to me.
Oh wait - those are Kingfisher! That has got to be the first sighting in years. Congratulations!

Ernie Q

Sales
I know what the B&M I go to got in and there were very, very few Kingfisher tins...in fact you would be surprised and just how little of the Germain and Esoterica they were able to secure.
At least I was...
Glad you noticed this. The distributor is doing a very very good job of fairly alotting the incredibly miniscule amount of Germain and Kingfisher they received. We (Watch City) did not bother, as it is just silly to try and fairly sell 4 tins online. The unicorn hunting is getting very silly and when it gets to the point where manufacturers are sending such a ridiculously low amount....well it isnt even worth it then.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
The unicorn hunting is getting very silly and when it gets to the point where manufacturers are sending such a ridiculously low amount....well it isnt even worth it then.
That is precisely my perspective from a consumer's perspective too.
The hassle isn't worth the payoff. There are so many great blends readily available. Why bother?

Ernie Q

Sales
The hassle isn't worth the payoff. There are so many great blends readily available. Why bother?
There are many answers to the "Why Bother?" question. Here are the top three in my opinion:

1) They really, really like the tobacco
2) They get to say "Hey, look what I got! on the forums
3)They are going to sell it online at an outrageous price
4) Herd mentality. This is the most interesting. Herd mentality can actually effect one's perception of flavor in some people. They have been convinced that Brand XXX is the best tobacco in the world because everyone is talking about how great it is. They search it out and buy it. It tastes like it was fermented through a horse, but they won't say anything bad about it because they want to be "part of the crowd". Some will just not say anything but many will join in the chorus of "This stuff is great".
If I was a charlatan or a less than honest blender, I could mix straight Latakia with Straight Perique and a bit of Bright, stick it in a tin with a label and give a fancy back story about how the Perique was purchased at auction from Pierre Chenet himself and sat fermenting and lost in a barn for 100 years and the Latakia came from the Ottoman empire and was cured with some rare herb or some other crap. Convincing people that something very ordinary is actually extraordinary is done all the time.
I'm not saying Germain does this, because their product is actually very good...but its definitely a despicable practice that happens in every business... It's insane in the cigar biz and I'm noticing it more and more in the PT biz.
E.

Ernie Q

Sales
I really like Special Latakia Flake but I am not about to set up a web scraper or make 10 phone calls every weekend
So far this week I have recieved 15 phone calls, 6 emails and at least 10 Facebook messenger inquiries for Kingfisher. I mean I get calls whenever rare product hits the USA but the lockdown/COVID thing has made it worse. From a outsider's standpoint I should be happy, right? That's a lot of "good Business" right? Nah...If I get, say 10 tins of Balkan Sobranie and I get 30 calls/DM's/Emails about it I make about $80.00 and waste about 3 hours of time answering said Emails/DM's/calls explaining why we don't do reservations etc. I've started making form letters up to answer these emails. I've long stopped doing backflips to procure Stonehaven/Penzance or UnicornXXX because it takes time away from our own blending. If it shows up, it shows up.

Chico

There are many answers to the "Why Bother?" question. Here are the top three in my opinion:

1) They really, really like the tobacco
2) They get to say "Hey, look what I got! on the forums
3)They are going to sell it online at an outrageous price
4) Herd mentality. This is the most interesting. Herd mentality can actually effect one's perception of flavor in some people. They have been convinced that Brand XXX is the best tobacco in the world because everyone is talking about how great it is. They search it out and buy it. It tastes like it was fermented through a horse, but they won't say anything bad about it because they want to be "part of the crowd". Some will just not say anything but many will join in the chorus of "This stuff is great".
If I was a charlatan or a less than honest blender, I could mix straight Latakia with Straight Perique and a bit of Bright, stick it in a tin with a label and give a fancy back story about how the Perique was purchased at auction from Pierre Chenet himself and sat fermenting and lost in a barn for 100 years and the Latakia came from the Ottoman empire and was cured with some rare herb or some other crap. Convincing people that something very ordinary is actually extraordinary is done all the time.
I'm not saying Germain does this, because their product is actually very good...but its definitely a despicable practice that happens in every business... It's insane in the cigar biz and I'm noticing it more and more in the PT biz.
E.
I think you covered all the bases here, with herd mentality driving it all. You are the Max Weber of the tobacco world 😀. It cracks me up on fb groups when you have new smokers who have only tried BCA and LNF or whatever, absolutely desperate to get their hands on some McClelland or Eso. Then they have to pretend to like it even if they don't. And all this happened without any machinations by Germain's themselves. Pipe smokers just invented and caused it all.

I'm sure Kingfisher is a great blend, but how much different or better is it going to be than the already over-hyped Eso VaPer blends like Dunbar? Some of the Rattrays and others are just as good.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
because it’s legitimately very good and there isn’t anything else like it, would be my #5 to Ernies list. i suspect many people hunting for it have never tasted it though.

if i find some, i will absolutely get it, but i’m not going to exhaust myself to find one tin of tobacco it took longer to find than it did to smoke, no matter how good. the stats will determine if the time is right.