What's new

Lane RLP-6

dryan

So, Smokingpipes had a decent sale the other day and I could not help myself. I added multiple tobaccos to the cart without even reading the description. RLP-6 made its way into my life this way. I've smoked it almost every day since it arrived (sometimes twice) on Wednesday.

Opening the bag, I was met with sweet. A not-overpowering vanilla and tinge of some sort of fruit smell that I couldn't place. Not too bad to start with. I didn't let it dry, because I didn't feel like it.. loaded up my MM reverse calabash and went outside after convincing my wife she should accompany me.

The initial lighting was probably what one would expect from an aromatic-- hot hair with not much else going on. After the lighting was done (pre and final light) I was able to settle on some of the aspects of this tobacco. The room note, as my wife put it, was "what it would be like if you lit a honeycomb on fire." This was not meant as a bad description. I also noticed that vanilla I smelled earlier as well as a slight nutty profile, and I swear I was picking up on a fruit hiding in the background.

For the first part of the smoke I didn't notice too much different from the topping. The smoke settled into a honey-ish vanilla that left little room for the flavors of the tobacco. Not necessarily a bad thing if that's what you like. Nearing the 1/3rd point of the bowl some actual tobacco flavors started to pop through here and there-- some of the nuttiness I noticed at first showed its face once more and some of the virginias were noted toward the half-way mark. This seemed to be the trend for the remainder of the smoke with the toppings still taking the primary spot here. Overall, from start to finish, there wasn't a whole lot of complexity. Didn't even need a re-light the whole time.

The vanilla and sweet weren't overpowering and could be stood as an all day smoke. I tend to do most of my smoking after work on the way home. This tobacco fits the bill for what I like in that drive back to the house. Is it the most mind-blowing? No, but it is easy to smoke, smells nice, and isn't just hot air through the whole smoke. This will definitely make it in my "coming home from work" rotation.

20180527_195422.jpg

Serenity

Burn out Bright
Patron
Every pipe smoker should find an aromatic they like, the world would be even more appreciative of pipe smokers. I enjoy Peter Stokkybe Optimum often, yesterday I burned HGL and got two compliments from ladies I was pickenicking with. Can't help it but really enjoy getting compliments from others about other things besides how good looking I am

PipeHaze

It's a good smoke. It is similar to CB IMO yes, but it is different. Just like 1Q is different from CB Royal and MV-1000 is definitely different than CB Gold.

CB White gives me that fake toasted marshmellow flavor that I don't care for and I don't get that in RLP-6. I think it is more than just CB White with less PG. Just my humble opinion though.

Every pipe smoker should find an aromatic they like, the world would be even more appreciative of pipe smokers. I enjoy Peter Stokkybe Optimum often, yesterday I burned HGL and got two compliments from ladies I was pickenicking with. Can't help it but really enjoy getting compliments from others about other things besides how good looking I am
I enjoy Optimum. The first time I tried it, my daughter and girlfriend liked the room note better

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
When I reach for an aromatic its either RLP-6 or Scotty’s Butternut Burley. SBB is along the same lines but a little fuller bodied and more of the underlying tobacco flavor comes through.

MasterJoda

I grabbed some RLP-6 from a B&M a few weeks ago. I’ve enjoyed it when i needed a decent room note (inside, in the car, etc). I don’t smoke a ton of aros, but it is decent. It’s been years since I smoked CB, but I do remember a distinct chemcal taste from the PG that I don’t taste in RLP.

I also picked up some PS24 (Nouget) that scratches the same itch for me. Pretty different taste, but an acceptable aromatic to me.