Lee Van Cleef

StevieB

Does anyone know what happened to his meerschaum pipe after he passed away? Did Barbara Havelone or his children cherish it? I ADORE him and have spent years reading about him, learning; even down to his heterochromia causing oddly coloured eyes hence why he wore brown contact lenses to get rid of this feature in the Spaghetti Westerns, his car crash smashing his knees so he had to use a stunt horse, etc. LOL, I even have a few tattoos of him amongst my 200 tatts! I have a load of replicas but where is THE original?
Damn, how much would I pay to own that :hahaha-024:

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Part of me prefers briars over meers. Another part of me is a cheap SOB.
It was a meeting of those 2 parts that lead me to buy a WDC Wellington to scratch that LVC itch.
I love that WDC he smoked. So I jumped on the chance to buy one in great shape at a good price.
I was of a mind a couple of years back to buy a couple more...for a few dollars more.
(See what I did there? :cool:)
I still may do that. Mine is a great smoker.

If I was going with a meer, it would be an Altinok all the way.

Sorry @StevieB
I know that didn't address any of your questions.
I'd sure like to know the answers too.

StevieB

That is a great collection!
Cheers! Guess I'm 'slightly' obsessed with LVC! To me he's the ultimate pipe smoker! No one else could clench and talk with their pipe in their mouth as effortlessly as Lee. And I love how he caresses his pipe with love in his films; you could tell the Dollars More meerschaum was his own 'Baby' and not some prop Sergio Leone has banged in his hand ;)

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I believe it was a Vienna meerschaum!

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Vienna meers pressed rather than block meerschaum?

I thought I read that the Austrians had come up with their own unique version of pressing meer using a proprietary adhesive. The pipes were initially marketed as "block" but the company was legally forced to promote the product differently. They still didn't call it "pressed". Instead, they came up with their own name for the product that resulted from their adhesive process.

I don't remember many of the important things in life. So don't quote me on the above. It's a dim memory of some articles I read some years back.
I'm hoping someone can clarify.

Top Bottom