Let's talk about the 'new' Condor

Hawky454

Thanks hawky, just looking at that it looks completely different it looks almost like a crumble cake, the old plug looked almost stg dense with the same neatness.... Such a shame.
You’re right, I could easily break this up with my fingers, it really is a crying shame. Sorry, I was planning on coming back to this last night with a part II but I got too tired and retired for the night. I’ll post some more today once I get to smoking it. To be honest, I’m really not looking forward to smoking it. This is the first time I’m actually seeing what all the hubbub is about.

Rotherdale

Pelargonium Graveolēns Et Sāpo
Patron
I put in a large baccy order from MySmokingShopUK a couple of weeks back, and put a 25g pouch of Long Cut in the cart to see if there had been any change for the better

The pouch I received was in the older pre-generic packaging, so that makes it a year or so old .. I'm guessing Simon's stock of 25g L/C is not exactly flying off the shelves :(
Still, probably more recent production than the baccy in the OP. The flakes are marginally better presented than before, a little neater and not quite as scruffy

Unfortunately the major problem remains, just no Condor sauce or 'Moment' when opening the pouch - and the smoke remains as described in the OP

As mentioned previously, the Poland Ready Rubbed is smothered in sauce and I just can't get my head around the lack of it in the L/C

craig

You’re right, I could easily break this up with my fingers, it really is a crying shame. Sorry, I was planning on coming back to this last night with a part II but I got too tired and retired for the night. I’ll post some more today once I get to smoking it. To be honest, I’m really not looking forward to smoking it. This is the first time I’m actually seeing what all the hubbub is about.
It's a shame man, I hope it smokes better than it looks for you hawky

craig

I put in a large baccy order from MySmokingShopUK a couple of weeks back, and put a 25g pouch of Long Cut in the cart to see if there had been any change for the better

The pouch I received was in the older pre-generic packaging, so that makes it a year or so old .. I'm guessing Simon's stock of 25g L/C is not exactly flying off the shelves :(
Still, probably more recent production than the baccy in the OP. The flakes are marginally better presented than before, a little neater and not quite as scruffy

Unfortunately the major problem remains, just no Condor sauce or 'Moment' when opening the pouch - and the smoke remains as described in the OP

As mentioned previously, the Poland Ready Rubbed is smothered in sauce and I just can't get my head around the lack of it in the L/C
I found the new ready rubbed palatable but it just gets an awful flat muddy taste about half way down.
Nd after that it was the last time I will buy it until or if it ever improves

Hawky454

Man that is just nuts why can’t they just evenly distribute the sauce on all the different cuts? I don’t get it but it’s a damn shame, I’d rather see Condor just get discontinued rather than them just using the name and putting out an inferior product.

I’ve still yet to smoke this Plug, I was about to while walking my dog but a storm came raging in so I’ll try to get to it a bit later tonight if not tomorrow, I’m really not looking forward to this though.

Hawky454

Okay, smoking the plug now in a Falcon. While I do pick up on some of the Condor essence in the smoke itself I do agree with you all now, it certainly has changed, it’s much more subdued and weak and sometimes it’s as if it’s not even there at all. I definitely wouldn’t shell out the big bucks to stock up on it like I did a few years ago now, it’s essentially lost it’s magic. That being said, it’s a decent full bodied smoke but if I never had tried Condor before now and this was my introduction to it, I wouldn’t be a convert that’s for sure. I feel like the quality of the leaf is inferior as well, it just doesn’t taste as well balanced, I’m getting a lot more rough edges and harsh spots than I’m accustomed to with the most wonderful Irish iteration. Well, I guess I’ll finally succumb to the truth that the Polish have most definitely changed (ruined) the almighty Condor and as I said before I would rather see a blend get discontinued than to change so drastically as we’ve seen here.

I’ll now take a moment of silence while I mourn the fallen Condor

..... and when it’s over I’ll feel a sense of relief as I still have a lifetime supply of the almighty Irish Condor sealed and tucked away in my quiet cellar.

craig

Okay, smoking the plug now in a Falcon. While I do pick up on some of the Condor essence in the smoke itself I do agree with you all now, it certainly has changed, it’s much more subdued and weak and sometimes it’s as if it’s not even there at all. I definitely wouldn’t shell out the big bucks to stock up on it like I did a few years ago now, it’s essentially lost it’s magic. That being said, it’s a decent full bodied smoke but if I never had tried Condor before now and this was my introduction to it, I wouldn’t be a convert that’s for sure. I feel like the quality of the leaf is inferior as well, it just doesn’t taste as well balanced, I’m getting a lot more rough edges and harsh spots than I’m accustomed to with the most wonderful Irish iteration. Well, I guess I’ll finally succumb to the truth that the Polish have most definitely changed (ruined) the almighty Condor and as I said before I would rather see a blend get discontinued than to change so drastically as we’ve seen here.

I’ll now take a moment of silence while I mourn the fallen Condor

..... and when it’s over I’ll feel a sense of relief as I still have a lifetime supply of the almighty Irish Condor sealed and tucked away in my quiet cellar.
It's sad time hawky, I bought the ready rubbed a few months and although the essence is there it is no where near enough to the Irish version.
I found an empty pouch of old Irish long cut and took a good deep lungful and it affirmed my thoughts..... Changed it has..... And not for the better.

KarlMaldensNose

I’m finally getting to the new generic packaged Polish Condor Plug that was gifted to me by @KarlMaldensNose for the sake of comparing it to not only the Irish Condor Plug but also to the Polish Condor Plug in the old wrapper. This can get confusing so for now I’ll just compare the ‘new’ (confirmed) Polish Condor and the ‘old’ Irish Condor.

View attachment 36534

You can’t really see it in the picture but just by appearance alone this looks sloppy and not near as dense as the Irish Plug, it’s actually rising and I am easily able to pull it apart by hand which can’t be done very easily with the Irish Plug, those are as dense as they come. The smell? Well, I was really hoping to go against the grain on this but it doesn’t even smell like Condor! (Wtf!?!) I can’t even pick up on a whiff of the famous Condor essence, smells more like a Dark Fired Blend, it smells quite smokey.
I’ve compared the Polish Plug in the old green wrapper to the Polish Plug in the new brown wrapper. Green wrapper is definitely closer to Irish Condor (Long Cut and Ready Rubbed) than brown wrapper, especially the quality of the tobacco itself. Where it drops off is the intensity/amount of topping. It’s a bit weaker. I agree with your notes that brown wrapper is waaay off, in both tobacco, topping, and pressing.

I’ve yet to try the Irish Plug you sent me. Just not smoking much lately. I had a bowl prepped and ready to go a while ago (think I even posted it in this thread) but had to throw it back in the jar for one reason or another. This thread has renewed my interest. As there is no baseball tonight (All Star game doesn’t rate for me), it will be a good time to dig into the Irish Plug and post my thoughts. To be continued...

Hawky454

I’ve compared the Polish Plug in the old green wrapper to the Polish Plug in the new brown wrapper. Green wrapper is definitely closer to Irish Condor (Long Cut and Ready Rubbed) than brown wrapper, especially the quality of the tobacco itself. Where it drops off is the intensity/amount of topping. It’s a bit weaker. I agree with your notes that brown wrapper is waaay off, in both tobacco, topping, and pressing.

I’ve yet to try the Irish Plug you sent me. Just not smoking much lately. I had a bowl prepped and ready to go a while ago (think I even posted it in this thread) but had to throw it back in the jar for one reason or another. This thread has renewed my interest. As there is no baseball tonight (All Star game doesn’t rate for me), it will be a good time to dig into the Irish Plug and post my thoughts. To be continued...
Awesome, I know you’ll really enjoy the Irish Plug. You need to start forcing more “you” time on yourself.

User15

While I'm have a "Condor Moment" smoking my second bowl of HU Sissinghurst, I thought I would add some thoughts to pass a few minutes this midnight hour. When I first started smoking 40 years ago, I only smoked Troost & the occassional Clan easily available OTC, I knew nothing about pipe tobacco & there was no internet to get any information. But when I tried Condor RR for the first time I was overpowered completely by the taste & nicotine hit which put me off other OTC tobacco's, other than my two favourites, Twenty years down the line I got online & started experimenting with new blends including Condor RR & St. Bruno. But only occassionally. So it is only since the Polish took over Condor that I've binged on it & tried long cut, but recently I went off Condor & St. Bruno completely, it makes me think if Condor was still Irish would I have lost my taste for it, but I have no way of comparing the old to the new at this time. Similarly living in Liverpool, I was unaware in the early days that Ogdens was my hometown Liverpools Pipe tobacco factory (remember I had no awareness of tobacco in my life at all nor knew other pipe smokers), so I wish I could have compared old St. Bruno to new.
Which brings me back to my midnight "Condor Moment" smoking HU Sissinghurst in a Meer this tobacco if it had a catchy name like "Panzer" for example, & was sold OTC, in my humble opinion it would be as popular as Condor or St. Bruno.
Another thought, when I was downtown in Liverpool last week I saw an older gentleman on a bench smoking a Falcon pipe & as I always do when I see another pipe smoker, I always stop to chat, on enquiring what he was smoking, he stated "Condor ! ", as though what else would he be smoking in a Falcon, on asking what I smoked, I said "mainly English blends", " like what ? " he asked then I gave a long list of blends I was smoking recently, he looked at me as though I was a blithering idiot for smoking anything else but Condor, & carried on lighting his pipe, conversation ended. Lesson number one when a Condor smoker is lighting his Falcon, don't waste time mentioning any other tobacco, or he will lose the "Condor Moment !!!!! ".

PipeInTheD

This thread makes me thankful for my huge jar of the original green wrapped Irish plugs. I accumulated them over several years. Probably my all time favorite tobacco.

At some point I will try the current incarnation... But I'm certainly not falling ovet myself to do so.

Truly sad.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
Gentlemen.....curiosity has got the best of me....I have two pouches of long cut in the mail....hopefully will be here tomorrow. ....I will post my thoughts.
I’m curious what you think of the newest stuff. I haven’t smoked any more Polish since @Rotherdale sent me a packet to try against the real stuff, and that’s been ages.

My daughter in UK sent me some long cut for my birthday last month, the flakes are crumbly, i have had nothing to compare it to i.e the original but i do like this
I don't know much about Condor but I get upset if a "flake" is 3/16" thick and crumbly. The Polish-made "long cut" was a disappointment just for cut reasons.

I enjoyed the Polish-made plug. I just didn't enjoy it enough to keep paying the cost of getting it from overseas ;)