Low Expectations Brand That Pleasantly Surprised?

User17

By 'low expectation' I do not mean a 'cheap' brand or artisan but, rather, a purchase made rather impulsively from a brand or artisan that one is not very familiar with
and has not heard much about either.
It's the "Why not? I like the pipe and I don't have much too lose as the price is extremely reasonable" type of purchase.
I recently purchased a Tristan Lefebvre rusticated Bent Apple. Tristan is a French carver that offers hand made pipes.
He has been making pipes for 4-5 years, if I am correct.
I have looked at his work over the last few years but never quite clicked on anything as he tended to be specializing in the XL department.
When he began to offer smaller models (G 4-5ish), I started paying attention.
Especially considering his rusticated pipes are offered at 90€.
A few weeks back, I saw this Bent Apple with a green Cumberland stem and decided to order it.

Tristan Pipe.jpg

I received it yesterday.
The pipe is extremely well made. The boring is spot on and it passes a pipe cleaner.
The stem is hand cut (!!!), extremely well finished and the clenching is extremely comfortable.
The rustication pattern is interesting, visually pleasant and does not deform the shape.
I will have my first few pipefuls over the next days and will report my impressions in the near future.

StompyMcFat

I had heard mixed reviews on Nording pipes, so I did not have high expectations when I was gifted one. I was pleasantly surprised with everything except the conical chamber, but I believe the semi pickax shape may require this.
I had no idea what a nice pipe would be like when early on I lucked into a good old Stanwell at a local B&M. It's great.
Also the Morgan Bones pipe just blew me away in regards to how nice it smokes. Amazing for the price.

Last edited:

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
I have a pipe that was made by a guy when we were over at the old forum. He called them Rock-Cobs. The bowl is made of Catlinite pipe stone. It has the basic cob shank in the bowl with a Forever stem. Although the pipe is heavy any tobacco I put in it just shines. The Catlinite material imparts no added flavors, and when I purchased it it wasn't expensive. It's another one of those pipes that smokes well above it's price point when I got it. I have no idea if these pipes are even being made anymore, but plan on doing a little searching to see if they are.

I have a pipe that was made by a guy when we were over at the old forum. He called them Rock-Cobs. The bowl is made of Catlinite pipe stone. It has the basic cob shank in the bowl with a Forever stem. Although the pipe is heavy any tobacco I put in it just shines. The Catlinite material imparts no added flavors, and when I purchased it it wasn't expensive. It's another one of those pipes that smokes well above it's price point when I got it. I have no idea if these pipes are even being made anymore, but plan on doing a little searching to see if they are.
Please let us know what you find out.
I had one of those several years ago. Can remember if I gifted it or just lost it. I do want another one.

Pretty much any Missouri Meerschaum although I have a few cobs that taste better than others and one Legend that imparts a flavor that is somewhat like burning cardboard.

Others that I have been suprisingly pleased with: Ropp Vintage (Nice smoker although the button on the genuine horn stem is a smaller than I would prefer, a Sebastien Beo that I bought new from SP.com a few years ago, a little Hilson Vintage bulldog I got for a song during a PC.com sale, and finally an estate Kirsten that I picked up a while back, way better pipe than I thought it would be, especially considering the fact that it looks like it's designed for smoking something else.

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
I had one of those several years ago. Can remember if I gifted it or just lost it. I do want another one.
I haven't any luck. In my search I found a lot of Native American items in which are not what I was looking for.
Another pipe brand I had that smoked well, and I don't see much anymore is "Gefapip"--I believe I have spelling correct.
I may still have several laying around, but I had one I smoked a lot a few years back. I can say I have had several, and they were great smokers that at the time were cheap for me to buy from a estate--they were new old stock at the time.

Tedvig

I haven't any luck. In my search I found a lot of Native American items in which are not what I was looking for.
Another pipe brand I had that smoked well, and I don't see much anymore is "Gefapip"--I believe I have spelling correct.
I may still have several laying around, but I had one I smoked a lot a few years back. I can say I have had several, and they were great smokers that at the time were cheap for me to buy from a estate--they were new old stock at the time.
His name is John Hines, if memory serves. I know he's on Facebook.

I believe his name was John Barrett, aka rekemepip.