Low Expectations Brand That Pleasantly Surprised?

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
@bluecow you have made my point when it comes brands that surprised. There are old pipes that are laying around from days gone by that are name/brands that if someone were to pick them up and do a little cleaning they would find the same great pleasure that these pipes provided the previous owner. These old pipes in most cases can be had for a song, and many times will not disappoint the new owner.

joeahearn

Speaking of old American-made pipes that smoke well, @Russ H., I have had really good luck with Schoenleber pipes. They smoke really well and are comfortable in the mouth, too. I started looking for them after a tip from another pipester. I own three now and I don’t think I paid more than twenty dollars for any of them.
Here’s some info on Schoenleber pipes. They were hand carved and sold out of the Schoenleber pipe shop in Newark in the 1950s and 1960s.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Schoenleber

blackmouth210

Patron
@bluecow you have made my point when it comes brands that surprised. There are old pipes that are laying around from days gone by that are name/brands that if someone were to pick them up and do a little cleaning they would find the same great pleasure that these pipes provided the previous owner. These old pipes in most cases can be had for a song, and many times will not disappoint the new owner.
Agreed. They're like a well-seasoned cast iron pan. They give the user that little something extra you just can't get from a new one.