Low Expectations Brand That Pleasantly Surprised?

Russ H.

Fight The Good Fight
@bluecow you have made my point when it comes brands that surprised. There are old pipes that are laying around from days gone by that are name/brands that if someone were to pick them up and do a little cleaning they would find the same great pleasure that these pipes provided the previous owner. These old pipes in most cases can be had for a song, and many times will not disappoint the new owner.

joeahearn

Speaking of old American-made pipes that smoke well, @Russ H., I have had really good luck with Schoenleber pipes. They smoke really well and are comfortable in the mouth, too. I started looking for them after a tip from another pipester. I own three now and I don’t think I paid more than twenty dollars for any of them.
Here’s some info on Schoenleber pipes. They were hand carved and sold out of the Schoenleber pipe shop in Newark in the 1950s and 1960s.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Schoenleber

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
@bluecow you have made my point when it comes brands that surprised. There are old pipes that are laying around from days gone by that are name/brands that if someone were to pick them up and do a little cleaning they would find the same great pleasure that these pipes provided the previous owner. These old pipes in most cases can be had for a song, and many times will not disappoint the new owner.
Agreed. They're like a well-seasoned cast iron pan. They give the user that little something extra you just can't get from a new one.

Steve Wright

Blissfully unaware
When @Sasquatch was singing the praises of Mastercraft Algerian briar pipes I decided to go looking on eBay. I bought one for $5 and I was more than pleased with the way it smokes. It’s been in my regular rotation since I got it. Sasquatch picked one up off of eBay nos cheap. I want to say like $15 if I remember correctly. @WalkinStick has since picked one up also but I can’t speak as to how his smokes as I haven’t talked to him about it yet.

KleinToit

Design Berlin, my first and second pipe, their entry level pipes were in the $30 to $40 range. It was only when I started buying $100 to $200 pipes that I realized what gems they are. Drilling on all that I have are spot on, shapes are very well done, nicely balanced and for the price, short of a cob, they can't be beat. I have a very hard time walking past any of them. Luckily for my wallet, the b&m I get them at are 1200km away IMG_20200201_121824.jpg
Bottom to top:
1st pipe I bought. db standard.
db Mariner
db Prelude 5
db Jahrespfeife (POY) 2014 no 150

Last edited:

On A Leash

Design Berlin, my first and second pipe, their entry level pipes were in the $30 to $40 range. It was only when I started buying $100 to $200 pipes that I realized what gems they are. Drilling on all that I have are spot on, shapes are very well done, nicely balanced and for the price, short of a cob, they can't be beat. I have a very hard time walking past any of them. Luckily for my wallet, the b&m I get them at are 1200km away View attachment 52517
Bottom to top:
1st pipe I bought. db standard.
db Mariner
db Prelude 5
db Jahrespfeife (POY) 2014 no 150
Very nice pipes!

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
When @Sasquatch was singing the praises of Mastercraft Algerian briar pipes I decided to go looking on eBay. I bought one for $5 and I was more than pleased with the way it smokes. It’s been in my regular rotation since I got it. Sasquatch picked one up off of eBay nos cheap. I want to say like $15 if I remember correctly. @WalkinStick has since picked one up also but I can’t speak as to how his smokes as I haven’t talked to him about it yet.
That’s okay, I haven’t smoked mine yet anyway.

:bag:

Crowley

Patron
Cant go wrong with a Boswell i have a few and they all smoke like a blast furnace. About a year ago i was given a cheap a$$ pipe called Wally Frank lol man im here to tell ya that damn thing was tougher then woodpecker lips and smoke anything good. Till i drop it 30 Story's off a iron job i was on. Never seen one since.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cant go wrong with a Boswell i have a few and they all smoke like a blast furnace. About a year ago i was given a cheap a$$ pipe called Wally Frank lol man im here to tell ya that damn thing was tougher then woodpecker lips and smoke anything good. Till i drop it 30 Story's off a iron job i was on. Never seen one since.
Wally Frank was a huge mail order pipe dealer, and a good size retail chain in NYC. They put their name on every kind of pipe from any maker you can name. Every price point, from $0.50 to $50. Every origin -- American, Italian, English, French. Wouldn't surprise me if an Irish one turned up.

This holds particular interest for me for one reason: in the U.S., Comoy's pipes sold better under the WF name than they did as "Comoy's," so I keep an eye out for Wally Frank's on eBay.

Crowley

Patron
Wally Frank was a huge mail order pipe dealer, and a good size retail chain in NYC. They put their name on every kind of pipe from any maker you can name. Every price point, from $0.50 to $50. Every origin -- American, Italian, English, French. Wouldn't surprise me if an Irish one turned up.

This holds particular interest for me for one reason: in the U.S., Comoy's pipes sold better under the WF name than they did as "Comoy's," so I keep an eye out for Wally Frank's on eBay.
Thanks for the info, I never knew such, like i stated that pipe was a work horse it did not matter what i pack in it. I will have to look on ebay to see if i might be able to find another. Again thank you.