Mac Baren Vanilla Roll Cake

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Judging by the recent availability of 1 pound bags, my guess is that it’s here to stay. I can’t think of a single instance where Mac Baren has boxed or bagged up a one off or a limited rerelease.
Thanks, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear, being new I am not sure how blends come and go.

I saw the 16oz. bags and wondered if I should grab it before it goes.

One of the tastiest aros I have tried in my brief time as a pipe smoker...just my two cents...

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
Thanks, thats exactly what I was hoping to hear, being new I am not sure how blends come and go.

I saw the 16oz. bags and wondered if I should grab it before it goes.

One of the tastiest aros I have tried in my brief time as a pipe smoker...just my two cents...
You should grab one before tobacco prices go up again. It's bound to happen as we've seen increases every year for the last few years.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
Great, thanks for the replies, @JimInks and @Ray Mackessy - appreciate the helpful info.

@BlueMaxx, your thread is making me want to pick-up a tin!
I am a neophyte, but as far as a vanilla blend it has been my favorite thus far...I would say it is worth 20 bucks for a tin to try....you could definitely do worse.
Plus you get more than 2oz.

I think if I get 16oz. I would have to just put it in my rotation and save back a little jarred.

By the way Jim, OCD in me but I thoroughly wash all new jars and sterilize them in the oven then fill the cooled jars.
I then put the seals in a pot of water and heat them just like regular canning and hand tighten, Overkill? Maybe...but with quarantine got a lot of time on my hands :bigyellowgrin:

I know they say that it has real Madagascar vanilla, and in my experience with it in cooking it is stout and has a long shelf life..Ive got several jars given to me by my sister she picked up from somewhere South America that are still good...and they are pretty old now.
I am not sure if sealed real vanilla goes bad?

Last edited:
After aging a month in Maryland courtesy of the USPS, I finally received my VRC, and am really enjoying it. It seems like underneath the (very nice) vanilla is what would be a top-drawer blend on its own. If people think there is a better vanilla blend out there, I'd like to hear what it is. For me, this is about perfect.
It fades quickly, but never goes completely away. The Dark Fired leaf seems to take over too quick.
I don't see any Dark Fired in my tin, or smell any, or taste any. The description mentions burley, and I think in this case it just means burley, not dark fired. JMO. I agree the vanilla tin note fades pretty quickly. At least after several openings, it seems much diminished from the first time I popped it open. I don't notice a corresponding change in flavor.

I don't see any Dark Fired in my tin, or smell any, or taste any. The description mentions burley, and I think in this case it just means burley, not dark fired. JMO. I agree the vanilla tin note fades pretty quickly. At least after several openings, it seems much diminished from the first time I popped it open. I don't notice a corresponding change in flavor.
For some reason I just get a dark fired taste. Tastes are subjective, so I can see you not tasting any dark fired. What I meant in my original post about the vanilla fading, was in the taste, not the tin note.

Anyone have a perspective on how this compares to the Vanilla Cream? I was not so impressed with that one. Curious on the difference.
Their in the same ballpark, but I think the Vanilla Cream has a better taste and room note. I may change my mind after the roll cake gets some age on it. I only smoked two bowls of the roll cake before I put it in a jar and will revisit in a year.

Anyone have a perspective on how this compares to the Vanilla Cream? I was not so impressed with that one. Curious on the difference.
I smoke both and enjoy both. The vanilla seems to hang around longer with the roll cake. VC has a more burly forward flavor. The VRC has some subtle notes and I get the dark fired in the retrohale.
Hope this helps.

JimInks

Old Ted Award Winner
After aging a month in Maryland courtesy of the USPS, I finally received my VRC, and am really enjoying it. It seems like underneath the (very nice) vanilla is what would be a top-drawer blend on its own. If people think there is a better vanilla blend out there, I'd like to hear what it is. For me, this is about perfect.

There is no dark fired in the blend. When I was reviewing it, I thought to myself, "This reminds me of dark fired, but it isn't." I asked Per Jensen about it, and he confirmed that there is no DF. The Virginias cause some of that familiar effect.