March Meer Madness 2020

mongo

Greetings all,
Yeah, I know it ain't March yet... but I'm choosing now to start. Pulled out all the meers tonight and inspected them. Most of them could use a slight cleaning, but all are ready to be loved hard in the coming days. My current stable holds 3 Baki's, 5 IMP's, 1 Altinok, 1 Tekin, 1 SMS, and 1 Falcon bowl. All will see action, though the Baki's usually see most of my smokes. Up until the Radices came upon me last year... and a few Norms, I was mainly a meer smoker.

Get your meers out, get them cleaned and ready to go. If you by some miracle and/or quirk of fate, do NOT have a meer.... this post gives you some time to remedy that fault. I hope for this to become this year's official MMM thread, so... let's see pics of the White Goddess in action.

Tomorrow.... kicks off MMM for me. Nice weather forecast for this weekend, plus our monthly CPCC meeting. I will be hitting the meers hard til MMM ends for me, sometime in July or August. (There will be special dispensation for the Radice POY to come) BC845b.jpg

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Patron
BBE29F96-9401-4030-B01C-43AACC32E984.jpeg
Picked up my first proper meer from eBay last month and haven't been able to put it down long enough to clean it but have replacement delrin internals on the way.
9F39D446-D157-48D2-8DD3-6C854A357FD7.jpeg And a gourd Calabash with a new meer bowl. It needs a new cork insert but I haven't want to spend the $15 for a sheet of it when I just need a tiny section.

Can't wait to beat 'em up!

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
View attachment 54014
Picked up my first proper meer from eBay last month and haven't been able to put it down long enough to clean it but have replacement delrin internals on the way.
View attachment 54015 And a gourd Calabash with a new meer bowl. It needs a new cork insert but I haven't want to spend the $15 for a sheet of it when I just need a tiny section.

Can't wait to beat 'em up!
That's an awesome calabash. I've never seen gourd carved like that on a pipe. On a wooden calabash, yes. Gourd calabash, no. I wonder how common that is.

When you clean them, what's your routine? I've never done much more with my Meers than swiping the bowl with a spirit soaked paper towel and the usual with pipe cleaners. And, I hope Calabash's count because that's maybe the best smoker I have!
I do the same but with water rather than spirits. A moist paper towel, followed by a dry paper towel for inside the chamber.
Dry pipe cleaner through the shank and stem.

tipofthelake

Fiddlesticksing sick of politics and posturing
Patron
Here's what I've been waiting for. Wax preference or should I just stop by the local commune, ehem, co-op and snag some white beeswax?
I just picked up a block of regular old beeswax, melted it in a jar heated in a pan of water, and keep the jar of wax set aside for reuse. Wipe off the wax while it is still soft, and be prepared to spend a bit of time with toothpicks cleaning out any carvings. I usually use a bit of paper towel wadded up and shoved in the finger from a latex glove to keep wax out of the chamber.

tipofthelake

Fiddlesticksing sick of politics and posturing
Patron
Some meer-lovers never wax their meerschaum pipes and they've got some beauties in their collection. I favor their methods.
Definitely an easier method, but I really like the way they look freshly waxed, but they smoke great either way. I'm honestly not that concerned about coloring. I mean, I have handled it with bare hands from day one, which is apparently "terrible" and will ruin the coloring, but I'm not trying to prepare an art installation I'm trying to smoke tobacco.