Maybe this is an indelicate question but...

Arkie

My family is claiming I have more tobacco stashed than I could smoke in my lifetime. I figure I have enough to last me until I'm 80 years old. Anyway, my son no longer smokes and I started wondering what would happen to my stash if I croaked sooner than expected. Has anyone else pondered what will happen to their pipes and tobacco or has anyone made arrangements for their family to deal with it? The thought of 50 or 100 pounds of prime tobacco and/or 1,000s of $ worth of pipes getting tossed in the dumpster makes me cringe.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I do. There’s a set of instructions in all my totes with the phone numbers and addresses of two people who know what to do with all of it. Kinda morbid, sure, but none of us know how long we’ll live. I don’t want my wife stuck trying to deal with it all if something happens to me. This way, that’s at least one thing she won’t have to deal with.

dmkerr

No fiddle sticks left to give
Staff member
I left my kids instructions to sell the tins through Pipestud's site. Like Spill, I designated the bulk to go to various folks (commie hippie in Ohio, hipster weirdo in Northern Cali, prick in upstate New York, horse diddler in Georgia, etc). All tobacco samples I receive will be taste tested by my ex-wife. Some of these guys will go to great lengths to get good stuff.

PappyJoe

Senior Chief
Tell your family it is none of their business to start with. That they are "questioning" how much tobacco you have makes it seems as though they are more concerned that you are spending money on yourself instead of saving it so that they can have it when you die.

Make out a will. Outline who should receive your pipes and leftover tobacco and let it go at that.

Oouder

I haven’t talked with my wife about it and now I might mention it this evening. We don’t have close friends who smoke pipes locally anymore so I’m not sure what she’d do. I am sure she knows it’s worth something since we discuss my purchases. I guess I’ll find out tonight. As long as it’s not thrown away I don’t care if she sells it or gives it away. I’m sure the bulk jars would get shared here. Wow I really havent thought about this much

Last edited:

craig

never really thought about it to be honest.

I guess my other half would maybe go the eBay route on the pipes and ask around if anyone wants the tobacco.
either way I'd be dead so it's not going to bother me lol.

maybe I could leave a note with a logon details from here and let you reprobates fight over who gets what 😁

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I left my kids instructions to sell the tins through Pipestud's site. Like Spill, I designated the bulk to go to various folks (commie hippie in Ohio, hipster weirdo in Northern Cali, prick in upstate New York, horse diddler in Georgia, etc). All tobacco samples I receive will be taste tested by my ex-wife. Some of these guys will go to great lengths to get good stuff.
Hipsters live in central and southern California- and mainly on the coast. Outlaws, rednecks, and hippies live in northern California. I do not have a silly mustache, my work clothes are actually work clothes, and if I am wearing suspenders it is done without irony. Also I have always believed that Pabst Blue Ribbon is horrible and there has never been a good reason to drink it.

Last edited:

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Leave a note to your survivors instructing them to create a profile here after you pass. They should then ID themselves and give us the bad news.
Plenty of folks around here will be happy to help make sure things are done right by you, your pipes/tobacco, and your survivors.
Plus it would give folks around here a chance to offer up some thoughts and condolences rather than wondering "Whatever happened to...?" for the rest of our days.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I do not have a silly mustache, my work clothes are actually work clothes, and if I am wearing suspenders it is done without irony. Also I have always believed that Pabst Blue Ribbon is horrible and there is never a good reason to drink it.
Immediately disqualified as a hipster.

@craig I like the idea of leaving behind login stuff to come here. Mine stays logged in on my phone, but I doubt Mrs. Stick would think to come on here unless it was to cuss y’all for enabling me all these years.

dmkerr

No fiddle sticks left to give
Staff member
Hipsters live in central and southern California- and mainly on the coast. Outlaws, rednecks, and hippies live in northern California. I do not have a silly mustache, my work clothes are actually work clothes, and if I am wearing suspenders it is done without irony. Also I have always believed that Pabst Blue Ribbon is horrible and there is never a good reason to drink it.
I'll change my will to read "outlaw hippie weirdo".

I'm with you on the Pabst. It was my favorite beer when I was 14 because it was the only beer that could be stolen from a friends dad without any notice.

Richard

Wait! What? There was a line?... Back there?
Patron
Leave a note to your survivors instructing them to create a profile here after you pass. They should then ID themselves and give us the bad news.
Plenty of folks around here will be happy to help make sure things are done right by you, your pipes/tobacco, and your survivors.
Plus it would give folks around here a chance to offer up some thoughts and condolences rather than wondering "Whatever happened to...?" for the rest of our days.
+1