What's new

MB HH Pure Virginia

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Ive been smoking this for a week or so and just looked at the date on the bottom. Sep 2015. Is it common to get a tin with that amount of age on it?
View attachment 26450

I think Mac B may produce enormous batches of their some of their blends and then not at all for a while. I was buying Savinelli Doblone D’Oro for 2 years and every tin was dated the same month of 2015 until mid 2018. Same with HH Pure VA. Same with Capstan Blue but it was 2013. All my tins came from high volume internet shops that would be out of stock regularly so these weren’t tins that had sat on the shelf at a retailer.

But outside of the above, no it isn’t common in my experience.

How do you like HH Pure VA?

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I think Mac B may produce enormous batches of their some of their blends and then not at all for a while. I was buying Savinelli Doblone D’Oro for 2 years and every tin was dated the same month of 2015 until mid 2018. Same with HH Pure VA. Same with Capstan Blue but it was 2013. All my tins came from high volume internet shops that would be out of stock regularly so these weren’t tins that had sat on the shelf at a retailer.

Interesting!

I was going to ask the same question, as a budding straight VA fan that hasn't had it.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Interesting!

I was going to ask the same question, as a budding straight VA fan that hasn't had it.
For whatever it’s worth, I really like HH Pure VA. After spending 6 months + trying every VA flake I could get my hands on after McC closed the one that really stood out that I hadn’t tried before was Mac Baren HH Pure VA. It’s not a substitute for McC VA flakes, but it is worthy in its own right and I put it up there with SG FVF.

Fisherx1984

So far this is my first tin of a pure Virginia so im not that experienced, but im really enjoying the profile on my pallet. Not that complex but still interesting enough to keep my coming back for more. Picking up some grassy and faint citrus notes that are really nice. Ive been folding and stuffing with very few relights. A pleasant smoke

Hoosierpipeguy

Getting an aged tin occasionally happens. Lots of things could account for it. Enjoy when it happens, don't count on it. Pure Virginia is a decent Virginia Flake, I personally like Macbaren Virginia Flake better. And there are countless other Virginia flakes you should try if you like this genre. Try Wessex Gold slices, Capstan Gold Flake, Aylesbury Classic and Sir John's Virginia Flake, GLP Union Square. The list goes on and on.

JustScott

I agree that this is likely what has happened. A few years ago, I got two 100g tins of ODF several months apart (one in March, the other in October/November) and both were dated to the same month, two years earlier.

I will be a dissenter here, I never could get into to HH Pure Virginia. I thought it was bland and just a little bitey, although admittedly not as bad as other MB blends. The real problem for me, and perhaps this is just all in my head but I perceived it as having too much bright VA and not enough Red for my tastes. I tried it again after a year and a half of aging and my opinion unfortunately did not change.

BSTpipes

That'll do, Pig.
Sales
I will be a dissenter here, I never could get into to HH Pure Virginia. I thought it was bland and just a little bitey, although admittedly not as bad as other MB blends. The real problem for me, and perhaps this is just all in my head but I perceived it as having too much bright VA and not enough Red for my tastes. I tried it again after a year and a half of aging and my opinion unfortunately did not change.
Not alone, I think it tastes like virginia, in a flat, boring, unchallenging sort of way, but it isn't especially engaging for me.