What's new

Meer bowls for a Falcon...

mongo

Ok.... @snake enabled me into the world of Falcon. But.... situation is, I'm a meer guy most of the time.... because, I have two freaking incredible Bakis. And, a half dozen or more of pretty dang good IMPs.
But... I like this concept of the Falcon. One stem, many bowls to choose from.

I'm looking for a reputable and hopefully inexpensive source for quality meerschaum bowls that will fit my so far one and only Falcon stem.

Thank you in advance,
Mongo

craig

I'll chime in.

the falcon meer bowls are not made by falcon.
I had one and the nylon thread is pinned into the bowl.
after a couple of weeks use, I smoked a bowl, let it cool and then took it off for cleaning.

I heard a very audible crunch and the bowl had completely sheered from the thread.

after that I didn't buy another, you may have better luck with any you purchase but seen as though the bowl is worth a full falcon pipe I am not taking the risk again.

falcon do meer lined bowls, which is meer dust mixed with a resin then formed into the bowl.
I tried one and didn't get along with it.

Again you may have better luck than what I did and mine might of been a fluke but my advice to you would be to tread carefully.

Ray Mackessy

Two years ago I bought 2 Falcon meer bowls from 4Noggins. One broke at the threads and the other is going strong with frequent use. I'm considering buying another bowl. It's hit and miss with those bowls, but they do smoke great if you get a good one. Just remember to let the bowl cool down completely before you remove it and you should have no problems. I do think their overpriced, but that's what the market calls for I guess.

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
I’ve purchased two from 4 noggins none have broken yet. I am very careful with the one I smoke but I can see how they would break if the threads got locked up at all and you had to use any force at all when you remove the bowl. Be very careful and you should be ok. Pic of mine below.
View attachment 24256
View attachment 24257
What is that folder in the foreground?:unsure:

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
The benefit of the removable bowl in a Falcon is to allow the briar to rest between smokes. You don't have this problem with meer - just refill, relight and go. So all this bowl removal is moot to me. Also, since the stems are so cheap (especially compared to block meer bowls), there's little motivation to have multiple bowls and fewer stems.

My meer bowls are from 4Noggins and www.mysmokingshop.co.uk and I've not had any problems at all.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
The benefit of the removable bowl in a Falcon is to allow the briar to rest between smokes. You don't have this problem with meer - just refill, relight and go. So all this bowl removal is moot to me. Also, since the stems are so cheap (especially compared to block meer bowls), there's little motivation to have multiple bowls and fewer stems.

My meer bowls are from 4Noggins and www.mysmokingshop.co.uk and I've not had any problems at all.
I can't argue with the thought about a briar "rest(ing) between smokes," and that it is not necessary with a Meer. However, I still find a need to wipe and clean the humidome on occasion, if not after every smoke, and that requires removing the bowl -- no matter the material.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I can't argue with the thought about a briar "rest(ing) between smokes," and that it is not necessary with a Meer. However, I still find a need to wipe and clean the humidome on occasion, if not after every smoke, and that requires removing the bowl -- no matter the material.
I take my bowls off two or three times per smoke, blow the stem out and screw it back on. I’ve never messed up the threads on a bowl. I think people must put too much pressure on them or let the threads get dirty and sticky.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
I take my bowls off two or three times per smoke, blow the stem out and screw it back on. I’ve never messed up the threads on a bowl. I think people must put too much pressure on them or let the threads get dirty and sticky.
That's what I'm talking about. Everyone has their own way. I remove a bowl and clean the humidome before each smoke and after that I'm good. I always thought the ability to remove the bowl -- to clean the humidome as well being able to change bowls -- was part of the beauty of the design of the Falcon.

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
I guess a lot of this depends on what you're smoking. I find that I can go all night (8 or 9 bowls) without cleaning my Falcon if I'm smoking something dry. If it's wet then that's a different story but I would probably use another pipe like a calabash for such baccy.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
So? Would you then be cleaning after 8 or 9 bowls? That's fine. It is a matter of choice when. The way I read your earlier post when you said "it is not necessary with a meer" it read like you were saying it is possible to just leave a meer bowl on the stem. Most Falcon smokers would agree, I think, one needs to remove the bowl occasionally -- whether it's briar or meerschaum.