What's new

Meerschaum lovat?

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
Ok, so I have had an interest in meers for quite some time but I have never pulled the trigger for various reasons. Figurals and heavily latticed pipes are pretty much works of art as far as I am concerned, and while I would like to have some I am reasonably certain that they would be a collection thing to display more than something that I could see myself using regularly. Bent pipes for the most part aren't my thing. I like straight pipes, and specifically lovats really trip my trigger, but I really don't see many of either posted, and they seem to be far less available based on the little bit of looking around that I have done.
Am I just pipe dreaming (badoom tsh!) about finding one? Does anyone have one they could post some pics of? I really only have plans on buying two pipes this year, the poy and my first meer.

tipofthelake

Patron

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw that one, and it's pretty much what I am looking for, but I followed several links that led to the same thing: sold already.:cautious:
It's at least encouraging to know someone is making a few of them.
Paykoc has got a few Lovat-adjacent shapes available:
https://www.paykocimports.com/meerschaum-classic-collection-the-canadian/

The thing is, Meerschaum pipes are carved by local artisans in Turkey. They're not really familiar with the classic Anglo-French catalogue of pipe shapes. They just kinda play it by ear.

Solid carvers produce shapes that are necessarily idiosyncratic. You just kinda take it as it comes :)

tipofthelake

Patron
Paykoc has got a few Lovat-adjacent shapes available:
https://www.paykocimports.com/meerschaum-classic-collection-the-canadian/

The thing is, Meerschaum pipes are carved by local artisans in Turkey. They're not really familiar with the classic Anglo-French catalogue of pipe shapes. They just kinda play it by ear.

Solid carvers produce shapes that are necessarily idiosyncratic. You just kinda take it as it comes :)
Ooh, i hadn't run across that website yet. Thanks!

tipofthelake

Patron
You're right that they are less common than some of the other shapes, probably for the reason dmkerr gives.

There are a few here: https://www.altinaypipes.com/category/canadian-meerschaum-pipes/

If you are searching for them, also search for "canadian" -- lovats often get misdentified or grouped with canadians.
I had just run across that site and spent a bit ogling (ok, maybe more than a bit) and then came back and looked through the posts here to see what I could find out. This is the kind of situation where you really miss the huge backlog of old posts...:cautious:

Thanks for the lead!

tipofthelake

Patron

tipofthelake

Patron
Thanks to the help of those who have posted thus far I have my eye on a few pipes/sites, and have mentally logged a few others. My hope is to pull the trigger on this in time to take part in MMM this year as I remember enjoying those threads in the past. :banane09:
If anyone has anything else please keep 'em coming, especially if someone has a picture. I have an image in my minds eye, and I wouldn't mind being proven right or wrong.:sf1: