What's new

Meerschaum Recommendations

blackmouth210

Looking to get a decent meet that won't break the bank, but that will be a quality product. What brands would you recommend?
Banks break at many different levels.
What's your budget?
A quality meer starts at around $150 and are made by IMP or Altinok.
They only go up from there with higher class pipes from those same companies and from Baki.
I wouldn't buy from any but those 3 brands myself.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Banks break at many different levels.
What's your budget?
A quality meer starts at around $150 and are made by IMP or Altinok.
They only go up from there with higher class pipes from those same companies and from Baki.
I wouldn't buy from any but those 3 brands myself.
+1.

Its possible to find good meers outside of the above advice, but it's a crapshoot. My success rate is about 50-50, which has made for some expensive fails.

mongo

I have meers by: Baki, IMP, Altinok, Tekin and SMS. Out of them all, I smoke the two Bakis the most. My IMPs are all quality too. Tekin and Altinok (POY) get smoked once in awhile, and the SMS needed airway surgery to get smokeable.... but it is perhaps the best colored of the ones I have. If I have my druthers.... I'd buy nothing but Bakis from here on out. Having said that.... I periodically see IMPs on SP that look pretty intriguing. They, however, are going up in price to a place where I am not willing to go for them.... I'd consider another Tekin too.... the price is still acceptable for them on Deniz's site.

Blackop555

Imp, baki, tekin, altinok.

Imp your looking at 200+ for a decent size
Baki your looking at 300+ never seen a small baki
Tekin 150+ for decent size
Altinok 200+ decent size.

Customer service wise i think altinok will make it right if a problem arises. Followed by ural who sells baki. Then the rest.

Style wise baki will be a pipe that you won't see other people making. Imp also. You can tell a baki or imp just by the look.

In summary you won't be disappointed in any of those pipes. If you are you can return/sell it. Someone will buy it.

blackmouth210

It seems to me that Deniz Ural just added Tekin pipes to sell because Baki has slowed down production.
Choose from any of the four Baki meers available.

And therein lies the only Baki problem... availability.
Production on Baki pipes has not just slowed down, it's almost at a stand-still.
I was surprised some weeks back to find so little change in stock since my previous visit to the site.
This has happened more than once this year.
Baki's were never being churned out at the level of SMS pipes, I know.
But, the slow-down for Baki has been very noticeable to me.
I don't know....Maybe my perception is just skewed because Baki's pipes are my favorite window-shopping source for meers.
I've been a little disappointed my last couple of visits.

Ronv69

Sales
Patron
The Altinok POY that I have is very poorly engineered. I would either go with one of the better, more expensive makers, or try for a good used one. I have had good luck with Peterson, Barling, and Manxman African meers on eBay for 40 to 80 dollars.