What's new

Meerschaum Recommendations

Tianlin

I have owned a few meers in the past, mostly estate pipes. I know I've had a Paykoc that smoked nicely, and I'm pretty sure I had an SMS at one point...and a couple unbranded ones. They've been hit and miss mostly, but the Paykoc was one of the better ones.

I've had a Baki in the past, and it was the finest smoking pipe I've ever owned. But I sold it because at the time I felt like caring for meerschaum was slightly more trouble than I was willing to tolerate for a pipe. I've had other pipes approach or possibly even equal the smoking quality of my BST briars, but the Baki is the only pipe to ever surpass them. It ran in the neighborhood of 300-something, but if you're looking for a good meer then that's definitely a great route to go.

The only meerschaum pipe I currently own is a Barling apple, rusticated with a tan finish with the faux burnt rim effect. It's a great smoking pipe, but it's African block meerschaum, not Turkish. It smokes great, but because of the material will never be quite as fancy as some others. But the point is, if you're looking for the material itself rather than specifically looking for pure, white, beautiful new Turkish meerschaum, you might do well searching for estate block meerschaum pipes from the UK and the Isle of Man. My Barling smokes nicely. If you're looking for cheap but reliable, estate is definitely the way to go, and African meers made by companies like Pioneer, Barling, Manx, etc. smoke just fine.

Pipepunk

My local b&m had some skull meers from sms some years back but they didn't seem we'll defined.the artistic execution was somewhat off.all blobby looking like a busted can of biscuit dough