More proposed restrictions on pipe tobacco sales

Pipepunk

When I smoked a pipe as a teen I was widely considered to be a geek.its not a disruptive sign of rebellion that elders and powers that be need to get their bowels in an uproar over.fascism 101 we don't like it so you can't have it

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
In the old PSF forum I made a post about the demise of tobacco being grown in this country and a product that was here before Columbus arrived will not be seen around for my son. Some of the comments disagreed.

How do you feel now?
Well--I guess I am not truly sure, but with the current views on tobacco in general are not good. I don't know that we will ever see it totally gone, but here is where I am at.
I have managed to put away some--not truck loads, but plenty for me, and my habits. Some also do not agree with me, but I see taxes creeping in, shipping, and purchase restrictions getting worse. One thing for sure--it hasn't gotten better. Many blends are gone, and there is still some really great stuff out there. However I ask myself--how long?
I do not want to turn this thread into a total--Hey the sky is falling, or its the end of tobacco--it isn't. However one should try to have a little something for a rainy day. Again--this doesn't mean non-figuratively tons of tobacco, and such. We have to apply some common sense to this.

Watchmaker

One problem I have seen is roll-your-own (cigarettes) bags of tobacco being labeled "pipe tobacco" as a blatant way to skirt the current regulations. That put us squarely in the cross hairs. I suppose genuine pipe tobacco manufacturers could rename their products something creative. Any ideas come to mind? An herbal blend meant for pot pourri... Bug deterrent...

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
One problem I have seen is roll-your-own (cigarettes) bags of tobacco being labeled "pipe tobacco" as a blatant way to skirt the current regulations. That put us squarely in the cross hairs. I suppose genuine pipe tobacco manufacturers could rename their products something creative. Any ideas come to mind? An herbal blend meant for pot pourri... Bug deterrent...
One of the blends I make is called Calliope's Choice. It's along the lines of SPC Potlatch as far as profile and components. I have a Lamacha goat named Calliope, and she loves when I milk her smoking it. At some point a few years ago I offered her a tablespoon worth in the palm of my hand and she gobbled it up. About once a month I'd feed the same amount to them all. Last year I had the vet come out and do some ultrasounds on my pregnant llamas and she collected fecal samples of my critters to check for worms, as I told her I had not worked them. Her lab results showed no parasites were present in any of my animals and asked me what I used. (Apparently there are always some sort of parasites in the animals, even using get meds) I told her and supplied her with a half pound of the blend. It works. It's an organic "wormer" the animals don't need to be tricked into eating.

Also, my scraps of leaf I distill into teas that I use for bug spray in my garden. I try not to waste anything.

Also, there are members of a Native American church that use some of my blends for "sacred rituals". That falls squarely in the pervue of freedom of religion stuff.

blackmouth210

One of the blends I make is called Calliope's Choice. It's along the lines of SPC Potlatch as far as profile and components. I have a Lamacha goat named Calliope, and she loves when I milk her smoking it. At some point a few years ago I offered her a tablespoon worth in the palm of my hand and she gobbled it up. About once a month I'd feed the same amount to them all. Last year I had the vet come out and do some ultrasounds on my pregnant llamas and she collected fecal samples of my critters to check for worms, as I told her I had not worked them. Her lab results showed no parasites were present in any of my animals and asked me what I used. (Apparently there are always some sort of parasites in the animals, even using get meds) I told her and supplied her with a half pound of the blend. It works. It's an organic "wormer" the animals don't need to be tricked into eating.

Also, my scraps of leaf I distill into teas that I use for bug spray in my garden. I try not to waste anything.

Also, there are members of a Native American church that use some of my blends for "sacred rituals". That falls squarely in the pervue of freedom of religion stuff.
Absolutely awesome post.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight

I too would like to say that this is just an awesome post right here. Thank you for sharing it.

ChristTiger

Resident Feline

That’s just down right cool. 😎 :appl:

Coach

Awesome post! Do you sell your pipe tobacco, or grow for your own consumption?