Mushrooms

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
Where are you located? You may have edibles, but as others have said, that's definitely not one.

If you're interested I'd suggest looking for a local mycology group, I wouldn't have trusted myself to ID a few edibles without someone who really knew their stuff helping me learn.

gnossos

the pineapple on your pizza
Patron
I've never messed with muscimol, I figure there's a time and a place for everything, it's called college, and well, it didn't happen there.

I would have pegged it for fly agaric, we get yellow ones here, but I honestly hadn't heard of panthers before.

In Ohio you probably get chanterelles which should be out soon, I checked a spot I know they came last year just today but nothing yet. Hen of the woods in fall, chicken of the woods might start popping soon, black trumpets, pheasant backs in spring... there's a book called Untamed Mushrooms that talks about midwest mushrooms that has great recipes too. I wouldn't consider it a field guide and would recommend the Audobon Field Guide to North American Mushrooms as a starting point.

But until you meet someone who can confirm 100% that what you're looking at is what you think it is I wouldn't trust a book. I poisoned myself with a hemlock bolete once thinking it was a porcini using that tactic.

MichaelE

The color is washed out making it hard to tell but it's definitely an Amanita, the Fly Agaric(red) and Panther (brown) won't kill you but it's not recommended you consume them. I know. Also, Munson? You out by Newbury?
It is the Fly Agaric, Amanita family. They are very nice looking mushrooms and commonly depicted in German children's books about gnomes, fairies, and fairie tales.

I have two very extensive pictorial field guides on wild mushrooms and fungi. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

MichaelE

I've never messed with muscimol, I figure there's a time and a place for everything, it's called college, and well, it didn't happen there.

I would have pegged it for fly agaric, we get yellow ones here, but I honestly hadn't heard of panthers before.

In Ohio you probably get chanterelles which should be out soon, I checked a spot I know they came last year just today but nothing yet. Hen of the woods in fall, chicken of the woods might start popping soon, black trumpets, pheasant backs in spring... there's a book called Untamed Mushrooms that talks about midwest mushrooms that has great recipes too. I wouldn't consider it a field guide and would recommend the Audobon Field Guide to North American Mushrooms as a starting point.

But until you meet someone who can confirm 100% that what you're looking at is what you think it is I wouldn't trust a book. I poisoned myself with a hemlock bolete once thinking it was a porcini using that tactic.

Did you perform a spore print?