What's new

My Carter Hall Experiment

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
I first learned of CH when I joined the old PSF forum. Up until that time my tobacco knowledge was very limited. I didn't even know what an English tobacco or Latakia was!
So I remember learning that CH in a cob was something that couldn't be beat. So I bought a cob and a pouch of CH and gave it a whirl.
I did NOT enjoy the experience!
Well, then I would learn that a cob had to be broken in. That otherwise you'd have that wood taste when it burned. The pouch of CH and the pipe had been in my glove compartment in my car. So I dug it out. Gave the combo about a half dozen or so bowls and then it clicked.
What an enjoyable experience! Something that I would have missed if it wasn't for PSF.
You just cant beat it.
I have a jar of it from a few years back in my cellar. I don't even remember why I jarred it. Then somebody told me that because it has some Virginia in it, that it would age quite nicely.
After reading this thread, I think I shall go find that jar!

icerunoff

Dirigo
Patron
I first learned of CH when I joined the old PSF forum. Up until that time my tobacco knowledge was very limited. I didn't even know what an English tobacco or Latakia was!
So I remember learning that CH in a cob was something that couldn't be beat. So I bought a cob and a pouch of CH and gave it a whirl.
I did NOT enjoy the experience!
Well, then I would learn that a cob had to be broken in. That otherwise you'd have that wood taste when it burned. The pouch of CH and the pipe had been in my glove compartment in my car. So I dug it out. Gave the combo about a half dozen or so bowls and then it clicked.
What an enjoyable experience! Something that I would have missed if it wasn't for PSF.
You just cant beat it.
I have a jar of it from a few years back in my cellar. I don't even remember why I jarred it. Then somebody told me that because it has some Virginia in it, that it would age quite nicely.
After reading this thread, I think I shall go find that jar!
Can't go wrong with Carter Hall. Much like MakDragon, early in my pipe smoking I read that CH in a cob was tough to beat, "they" were all very correct. I always keep some on hand and have gifted a pouch of CH, along with a cob, to more than one friend interested in starting to smoke a pipe.