What's new

My coloring progress (updated weekly)

Blackop555

I'm going to smoke a different meerschaum every two weeks. I will post coloring pictures at start, a week and then end. Number of bowls during the time will be noted and how many previous bowls it has had (estimate on some). Some may be interested in this i have no idea, but it will help me be more organized. So to begin I'm starting with a brand new tekin i have had for a little over a month. The draw is nice although it smells quite chemical and the inside of bowl is not smooth. Looks to be some shallow craters inside.

Blackop555

Well it's been one week. 16 bowls of Lane 1q has been burned through it smoked completely to ashes. i then immediately put a pipe cleaner in stem and wipe out bowl then pull cleaner wipe off and return to open case. Pipe is definitely heavier and faint coloring where the bowl meets. Next update will be in a week and it will be cleaned and put away and on to the next pipe which i will probably smoke the same tobacco and might try not cleaning it until right before next smoke.

Blackop555

Alright it's been two weeks already. Just finished bowl number 30 of strictly Lanes 1q. All cleaned up and ready to be put away. Below is a picture of it new then at 1 week. Color was slowly starting to creep in at 16 bowls/first week.

Now below pictures are as it sits now. The coloring exploded after the next 14 bowls (30 total in two weeks). Did not wax it at all and cleaned it immediately before pipe was even cool and wiped outside with cotton cloth after it cooled down. Zero cake was allowed to accumulate. The results lead me to believe that letting the tobacco sit until the next time it's smoked might just cause off flavors in a pipe and not be necessary for pipe coloration. I will post up the next pipe sometime this weekend. Without any further ramblings, the fastest to color pipe I've ever smoked.

Bohique Sik’ar

When I get home from work today I’m going to start smoking on a new, small AKB Meerschaum (Carved Bent Dublin Muhsin) I recently got.
I’ll be my first Meerschaum smoke ever and I plan on doing two bowls a day for a week, handling only by the stem, clean after each use when cooled down, rest it for a month.... and we’ll see, wish me luck!

Blackop555

When I get home from work today I’m going to start smoking on a new, small AKB Meerschaum (Carved Bent Dublin Muhsin) I recently got.
I’ll be my first Meerschaum smoke ever and I plan on doing two bowls a day for a week, handling only by the stem, clean after each use when cooled down, rest it for a month.... and we’ll see, wish me luck!
Post some pictures. Sounds like a good plan. In my experience it will darken (sometimes) in a week or two of sitting. Any more than that i don't see any change.

Oouder

Cool thread! I’ve probably got somewhere near 100 or so smokes in my Baki. It’s a pretty thick pipe so the color is still really faint. I’m holding mine by the stem and cleaning it once it’s cooled off completely as well. I have never added wax or done anything to try and color it. My wife bought it for me years ago because I was telling her about the clarity in tobacco taste that I read about online. It smokes great but I do prefer my briars which is why it’s only got 100 or so through it.

DE2BB029-DED7-4A34-9E7C-63AF857BBE48.jpeg 7EA8F383-4274-44CD-A500-7BB7199F5DB4.jpeg

Blackop555

Cool thread! I’ve probably got somewhere near 100 or so smokes in my Baki. It’s a pretty thick pipe so the color is still really faint. I’m holding mine by the stem and cleaning it once it’s cooled off completely as well. I have never added wax or done anything to try and color it. My wife bought it for me years ago because I was telling her about the clarity in tobacco taste that I read about online. It smokes great but I do prefer my briars which is why it’s only got 100 or so through it.

View attachment 4210 View attachment 4211
Beautiful pipe. My rim looks like yours after ten smokes and i use a butane pipe lighter. I wish i could keep mine that clean, you must rarely light.