What's new

My coloring progress (updated weekly)

Blackop555

Alright took a break from smoking pipe so I'm starting this back up. Had a couple bad colds along with class and cutting wood i just stepped back from it. Starting back up now. I will smoke this pipe until March meer madness. 80 bowls to date in it. I hope to get it to at least 120. We shall see the progress weekly

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Alright took a break from smoking pipe so I'm starting this back up. Had a couple bad colds along with class and cutting wood i just stepped back from it. Starting back up now. I will smoke this pipe until March meer madness. 80 bowls to date in it. I hope to get it to at least 120. We shall see the progress weekly
Love how that meer is colouring!

The Fiend

That is an awesome pipe! I have yet to pull the trigger and purchase a meerschaum pipe. So that marbling is a natural occurrence by just smoking the pipe?

Cheeseybacon

That is an awesome pipe! I have yet to pull the trigger and purchase a meerschaum pipe. So that marbling is a natural occurrence by just smoking the pipe?
While the beautiful marbling on Blackop555's pipe likely came about just from smoking, it is an exception rather than the rule and NOT a common pattern that develops on every pipe. Each pipe is unique and develops differently as it is smoked. Some develop blotches or speckles of color, sometimes bands of color occur, while some color rather evenly, others barely color at all, and sometimes you get lucky and get a pipe that exhibits this marbling pattern. You just don't know until you know.

Last edited:

Blackop555

Out of my about 30 meerschaum i have 5 i believe that are marbled or display a grain. 2 imp have that marbling that is big and chunky there's pictures of one of them in here the coloring actually has depth to it. I have a old conkak that has white specks in it that won't color. Then the one you're talking about with the veins in it you cant see it until it's smoked but you can feel it. My last one is a baki and it has very fine line like graining that i call webbing. In my experience you'll tell the meerschaum is going to be unique within the first 20-30 bowls.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Out of my about 30 meerschaum i have 5 i believe that are marbled or display a grain. 2 imp have that marbling that is big and chunky there's pictures of one of them in here the coloring actually has depth to it. I have a old conkak that has white specks in it that won't color. Then the one you're talking about with the veins in it you cant see it until it's smoked but you can feel it. My last one is a baki and it has very fine line like graining that i call webbing. In my experience you'll tell the meerschaum is going to be unique within the first 20-30 bowls.
I have a very old Baki that is actually coloring "backwards". It started its life as a pre-colored pipe that was supposed to look like a fully colored pipe. Now the top half is white as the coloration has worn off. It appears to be a white pipe that has a colored shank and brown color 1/3 of the way up the bowl. However, it's "uncoloring" if you will. A close inspection shows Baki's signature in white on the colored shank. If the pipe had started out white, you wouldn't be able to read his signature (his very early pipes were signed on the meer itself rather than the stem). Very unusual coloration... uh... UNcoloration. I suspect it will start to behave as my other colored Baki with the coloring wearing off and then once pure white again, it will start to color up the shank and upwards to the top of the bowl.

Gotta love the ins and outs of meerschaum coloring!