What's new

My Father

mongo

I wanted to pass on my thanks and gratitude to all here who have commented and PM'd me on the passing of my Father 5 days ago. We had the wake yesterday and a fine and moving funeral today. I held strong until I watched his casket transferred to the hearse at the end. The finality of that was immense. I learned today just how much he touched and affected his second family. There has been animosity by me towards his second wife since the beginning, and a fairly good dust-up at the funeral planning the day following his death. While there are things that cannot be changed, I do greatly value the love that he experienced for the last 34 years of his life. I do intend to mend some fences here in the short future.

My father wasn't too pleased when he found out I smoked a pipe. Since the few relatives that he had that smoked (cigs) all died early... he wasn't too pleased that I had discovered tobacco. He seemed to have forgotten that his own Father was a pipe smoker, and he lived to 96. Dad made it to 97 yrs and 9 months. He lived a full life, and there are certainly things he did that I emulate and aspire to do even more and better. I will be eternally grateful that I was there for him at the end, and I know that eased his passage.

Cherish your loved ones. Aspire to live a virtuous life.

Thank you all again.

Ozark Wizard

I remember being chosen by the family to release my grandfather's ashes off a cliff on the Columbia River Gorge. The last time we had spoken we discussed business. As I stood on the precipice, the thought of a whole library that burned to the ground and placed in this jar for me to just release to the winds. The histories, the facts, the fiction and the possible futures, all drifting off over the treetops and across the water. I hoped the benefits I gleaned from the experiences with him would not be lost to the ages. I felt like I was obligated to share that knowledge so that it may continue, even in paraphrase and best possible recall.

I hope you can find some solace in the times you shared with your father, and that though his presence is not physical, your memory and impressions of him are indelibly stamped in you. That, and that his part in creating you implies he is never truly gone.

Best wishes to you and your family. I have a candle lit for you.

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
It's never easy to lose a parent. My old man died almost ten years ago now. I know exactly what you mean about the finality of that last goodbye. When we buried my dad's ashes I was the one that put the urn in the ground. It took me a few tries to lift my hand off the damn thing. I'm not sure how long I knelt there. When I finally stood up it about took my breath away, like I'd fallen into a cold lake or something. I still really don't have the words to describe that experience.

Sounds like your dad got the full tour, though, 97 is a hell of a run. I wish you well with the rest of your family, and I'll send a couple Hail Marys your way.

CrazyIvan779

I wanted to pass on my thanks and gratitude to all here who have commented and PM'd me on the passing of my Father 5 days ago. We had the wake yesterday and a fine and moving funeral today. I held strong until I watched his casket transferred to the hearse at the end. The finality of that was immense. I learned today just how much he touched and affected his second family. There has been animosity by me towards his second wife since the beginning, and a fairly good dust-up at the funeral planning the day following his death. While there are things that cannot be changed, I do greatly value the love that he experienced for the last 34 years of his life. I do intend to mend some fences here in the short future.

My father wasn't too pleased when he found out I smoked a pipe. Since the few relatives that he had that smoked (cigs) all died early... he wasn't too pleased that I had discovered tobacco. He seemed to have forgotten that his own Father was a pipe smoker, and he lived to 96. Dad made it to 97 yrs and 9 months. He lived a full life, and there are certainly things he did that I emulate and aspire to do even more and better. I will be eternally grateful that I was there for him at the end, and I know that eased his passage.

Cherish your loved ones. Aspire to live a virtuous life.

Thank you all again.
I am so sorry for your loss.