My New Bing's Favorite

MichaelE

Who said you can't always get what you want? Was it Mr. Jagger I believe?

Well in this case I got what I wanted. I want to thank the gentleman who told me about the hot water method to bend this stem. I can't find your post to thank you by name, but you know who you are. It's too bad Savinelli wouldn't make it this way and be more true to the style of pipe Bing Crosby smoked. I'm very happy with the way it turned out and it took all of less than five minutes including two minutes for the water to boil in the microwave. Sorry no video. I have no way to support the camera by itself.

I removed the balsa filter and put in the restrictor that takes the place of the filter and put the stem back in the pipe. Heated it in the water for about a minute and a half and it started to bend. I held it until it set and then ran it under cool water.

With my luck and these pipes, I'm going to leave the restrictor in to provide more support for the flimsy tenon on these stems. I think it is prudent to have more support and this restrictor is a tight fit in the tenon and will provide that needed support.

Well, time for my first bowl in my new Bing's Favorite.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Patron
I have to ask, never having owned a “Bing”...
What makes them so popular?
What makes them comfortable good smokers?
What is the appeal?
What does the length and or curvature have to do with the smoking attributes, aren’t the bowls rather shallow?
What Is the extra the length do for the tobacco, cool it?
What is it’s connection to a churwarden ?
What makes them practical?
What did Bing like so much about them?
What should I do for these answers, start another thread?

MichaelE

I have to ask, never having owned a “Bing”...
What makes them so popular? I don't know that they are that popular except with me.
What makes them comfortable good smokers? They are trim, slim, and lightweight for their length.
What is the appeal? Strikingly slim profile that exudes class.
What does the length and or curvature have to do with the smoking attributes, aren’t the bowls rather shallow? No. The bowl depth is 1.59"
What Is the extra the length do for the tobacco, cool it? Keeps it cooler than a nose warmer and many others too.
What is it’s connection to a churwarden ? None that I know of. I think CW's start at around 9" and get longer from there.
What makes them practical? I know of no practicality with this model pipe.
What did Bing like so much about them? Unknown. He smoked shorter pipes too.

SonoranHotDog

Pass the Jalapeños
Nice pipe. I've had mine for about 30 years. The stem is getting a bit gnarly, but it smokes like a champ. I've always liked smoking the Bing because it smokes cool, the smoke rising from the bowl doesn't go into my eyes, and it is surprisingly easy to clench (which is why my stem has gotten gnarly). I've always thought the putter and golf ball on the stem were cool in as much as Bing Crosby absolutely loved golf. He, and his friend Bob Hope, pretty much turned Palm Springs from a desert into a golf resort with their love of the game.

IMG_2259.JPG

Last edited: