My Pipes & Tobacco Collection

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
Pipes 1.jpg Pipes 2.JPG
Pipes 3.JPG Pipes 4.JPG
Pipes 5.JPG Pipes 6.jpg
So I have been organising my pipes and tobaccos collection over the weekend and installing lights in my pipes cabinet, I love looking at other people’s pipe collections so thought you guys might like to see some pics…I have been pipe smoking for about 4 years now, so it’s a small but growing collection…

I am preparing and staining wood batons that will go on the bottom of each shelf in front of the lights to hide them and tidying up the holes/wiring and then it will be finished. They are philips hue strips, so going to play around a bit with the lights a bit.

With living in Romania, but being from England and working with Americans, most of my tobacco purchases are based on reviews online and taking a chance and hoping I like them…I am looking to build up my cellar this year based on testing, especially plugs and flakes I want to get into more, with the so kind and generous help of Sir Saartan I will be trying out flakes more and learning properly how to prepare/smoke them!

My favorite pipes/interesting to me, in my collection are:
* The Bilbo, Aragorn and Gandalf pipes from the LOTR movies, these are the Vauen pipes that are exact replicas of the pipes they made for the movies and then were licensed to sell for a year or 2 after the movies…they took me a long time to find, especially unsmoked. I also have a Gilg pipe for actually smoking....searching daily for the final pipe in the original collection, the Gimli pipe...
* Pipe with gift tin and tobacco, from 1914 that was part of the gifts that Princess Mary gave to all the frontline soldiers in WW1
* Peterson Mark Twain 1985 Gold LE pipe, no: 213 of 1000 made
* Peterson Mark Twain Poker, one of 2 made for the Peterson Dublin store display.
* Dunhill 1935 pipe, made for and smoked by George Sidney the director.
* Dunhills from 1924, 1940, 1943 and 1986
* Not pictured is my new Barling pipe from 1872.
* Kaywoodies from 1936 and 1940
* PSD POTY from 2018 onwards…the 2020 one will join them soon!

My next project will be to make a matching cabinet that will hold 10 of those Michaels soda crates on runners to make them like drawers…

Hope you enjoyed looking at my fledgling collection, would love to know what interesting pipes/favorite pipes you guys have!

MichaelE

The handgun cabinet that I built 20 + years ago uses a similar strip type incandescent lighting. I wanted a warm glow in the cabinet rather than the starkness of fluorescent. I placed these on the inside side walls of the cabinet pointing to the center.

Nice work on the cabinet. It looks really good.

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
Thanks everyone for the comments...I have to admit I love seeing other peoples collections and have spent many an hour looking at threads online of cellars and pipes, I love the story behind pipes I buy, and pipesmoking as a whole, really get into the whole thing of how and where I got a pipe from/the idea of who might have owned it and smoked it!

Wonderful pipe collection. Those all have some historical or literary relevance. If I owned any of them I'd be hesitant to even smoke them. All I can say is, enjoy.
I know what you mean @sperrytops, I try to smoke most of the pipes I buy, but there a few that are there for the history behind them, and won't ever be smoked...I am waiting for the 1872 pipe to arrive (the mail to here in Romania takes a loooong time) to see if it will be a pipe I can smoke...I really want to smoke a pipe that old but afraid to break it! I have been talking to someone on another forum who is an expert in older Barling so hopefully he will be able to let me know if it is a pipe I should try smoking...

sperrytops

Thanks everyone for the comments...I have to admit I love seeing other peoples collections and have spent many an hour looking at threads online of cellars and pipes, I love the story behind pipes I buy, and pipesmoking as a whole, really get into the whole thing of how and where I got a pipe from/the idea of who might have owned it and smoked it!

I know what you mean @sperrytops, I try to smoke most of the pipes I buy, but there a few that are there for the history behind them, and won't ever be smoked...I am waiting for the 1872 pipe to arrive (the mail to here in Romania takes a loooong time) to see if it will be a pipe I can smoke...I really want to smoke a pipe that old but afraid to break it! I have been talking to someone on another forum who is an expert in older Barling so hopefully he will be able to let me know if it is a pipe I should try smoking...
You'll have to show us a picture when it comes.

Bach6032

@pipedreams86 You are off to an impressive start!

Here are a couple of pics of a small pipe cabinet that I designed and built a few years ago. The case and upper/lower crown moldings are of cherry and the back is 1/4" cherry plywood.

Your cabinet and mine share one feature that I really like: internal lighting. This is something that I added just a few months ago. The lighting in this cabinet is a slender string of 50 wheat lamps powered by a pack of AAA batteries concealed on the top, behind the upper crown.

In retrospect, the seedy glass that I selected probably wasn't the best choice but real mouth blown sheet glass, in the style of early glass, was too pricey.

Like you, I also have a couple of soda crates from Michaels Craft store, but dang it! As of a few months ago those are no longer available.

IMG_20201130_071648440~2.jpg IMG_20201130_071713991.jpg

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
@pipedreams86 You are off to an impressive start!

Here are a couple of pics of a small pipe cabinet that I designed and built a few years ago. The case and upper/lower crown moldings are of cherry and the back is 1/4" cherry plywood.

Your cabinet and mine share one feature that I really like: internal lighting. This is something that I added just a few months ago. The lighting in this cabinet is a slender string of 50 wheat lamps powered by a pack of AAA batteries concealed on the top, behind the upper crown.

In retrospect, the seedy glass that I selected probably wasn't the best choice but real mouth blown sheet glass, in the style of early glass, was too pricey.

Like you, I also have a couple of soda crates from Michaels Craft store, but dang it! As of a few months ago those are no longer available.

View attachment 84694 View attachment 84695
@Bach6032 That is such an awesome collection! I love the cabinet, amazing work, how long did it take you to make it? Which are your favorite pipes from your collection? It is so frustrating that Michaels have discontinued those soda crates, really haven't found anything better than them for the mason jars...