My Pipes & Tobacco Collection

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
7.jpg
@Bach6032 They really are a treasure for me, they were given by Princess Mary to the British troops on the frontline in World War 1...every soldier received a tin with either a pipe, tobacco and cards, etc or cigarettes and a lighter. I have seen many tins on eBay but this was the first time I saw one of the pipes on there, so I jumped on it. The pipe itself is very small, and not very 'special' in design etc, as they had to be small enough to fit in the tins, but the history behind them is just amazing to me. There is a bit more info on the gifts: here

Bach6032

@Bach6032 That is such an awesome collection! I love the cabinet, amazing work, how long did it take you to make it? Which are your favorite pipes from your collection? It is so frustrating that Michaels have discontinued those soda crates, really haven't found anything better than them for the mason jars...
@pipedreams86 Thank you for the kind words!

The pipes represent about half of my collection, begun about 45 years ago. My very favorite pipe: the leftmost pipe, lower shelf. It's a triangular Stanwell and it is the first briar I ever purchased.

Another favorite is a gift from Mrs. Bach. It's the Ben Wade, seen at the center of the upper shelf. It's a handsome pipe but really appealing are its large bowl and superb smoking mechanics. Though you didn't ask, my least favorite pipe of all is the big handmade at the very left of the upper shelf. It's heavy and it always smokes hot--and I mean to the touch. It quickly becomes too hot to hold.

As to making the pipe cabinet, I wish that I could tell you how long it took to make but I didn't keep track of the time. I enjoy working with wood and couldn't find a pipe cabinet that really spoke to me. This one is made primarily from 1/2" cherry, finished with a cherry stain and paste varnish. Were I to make another of these, I'd position the stem holders about 3/4" lower; as it is, the stems just *barely* reach them and I have a couple of pipes that are just too short to fit in this cabinet. The oval sunburst inlay on the drawer front was a piece that I got for cheap somewhere.

The batteries that power the internal light string last a good long while before needing to be recharged/replaced.

I have the ability to replicate the Michaels soda crates but just cannot bring myself to do it, holding onto hope that someday Michaels will come to their senses and offer these again...

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
@pipedreams86 Thank you for the kind words!

The pipes represent about half of my collection, begun about 45 years ago. My very favorite pipe: the leftmost pipe, lower shelf. It's a triangular Stanwell and it is the first briar I ever purchased.

Another favorite is a gift from Mrs. Bach. It's the Ben Wade, seen at the center of the upper shelf. It's a handsome pipe but really appealing are its large bowl and superb smoking mechanics. Though you didn't ask, my least favorite pipe of all is the big handmade at the very left of the upper shelf. It's heavy and it always smokes hot--and I mean to the touch. It quickly becomes too hot to hold.

As to making the pipe cabinet, I wish that I could tell you how long it took to make but I didn't keep track of the time. I enjoy working with wood and couldn't find a pipe cabinet that really spoke to me. This one is made primarily from 1/2" cherry, finished with a cherry stain and paste varnish. Were I to make another of these, I'd position the stem holders about 3/4" lower; as it is, the stems just *barely* reach them and I have a couple of pipes that are just too short to fit in this cabinet. The oval sunburst inlay on the drawer front was a piece that I got for cheap somewhere.

The batteries that power the internal light string last a good long while before needing to be recharged/replaced.

I have the ability to replicate the Michaels soda crates but just cannot bring myself to do it, holding onto hope that someday Michaels will come to their senses and offer these again...
How cool, it is one of the things I love about pipe smoking, the story behind each pipe and what it means to you! I have a couple of pipes like that too, that don't smoke well at all, but I will never part with them because of what they mean and how I bought/received them.

I wish I had your skills to be able to make a cabinet like that, and to be able to recreate the soda crates...I hope someone steps in the gap if Michaels don't start restocking them, it seems like with how popular mason jars are for canning, especially at the moment, that there would be a market for them...

I do not own a Ben Wade pipe but would love to, what year is it from if you don't mind me asking?

pipedreams86

Feet up, pipe lit
Patron
@pipedreams86 A sincere thank you for responding to the request for the photos. What a truly amazing find and a heartwarming story--you absolutely do have a treasure there! Thanks for sharing that with us all.
Of course! Always happy to share pics and stories, I love smoking my pipes, but the history and stories behind the pipes and tobaccos is a huge part of why I smoke a pipe...

I have a search saved on eBay in case anymore of the Princess Mary pipes and tobacco come up again for sale...I don't want to touch the tobacco packet I have from this set, but if I could buy a second pouch of it I would love to open it up and try and rehydrate it and see how it smokes...if that ever happens I'll have to send you and others on here a bowl of it so we can all try it out!

Drydock

@pipedreams86 I often wonder about the life my used/estate pipes have had before they came into my care. I feel a real link to the past with them. More so than old books, of which I have many. There's something special knowing another soul packed and smoked the same pipe, while doing many of the same things I do now, when I make time to smoke. It's a kinship & I feel I do the spirit of those men a service by keeping their pipes in good shape and use.