My recent Vermont Freehand order

Cramptholomew

It's, like, Phyllis Diller funny.
Sales
In fairness, I’ve made more than a few tobacco related purchases recently. Those delivered by USPS have consistently arrived in excellent shape and on the day before the estimated arrival date. An impressive performance unmatched by any other carrier. So, kudos to USPS.

(even if I did wind up driving to Waco and getting that amp myself)
Yeah, so, this for me as well. I guess if they’re gonna screw up, they might as well go big or go home.

McWiggins

I was outside when our postal lady was dropping off our mail. She said they'e been getting hammered. Today alone they had a tractor trailer full unload and they arent equiped for that let alone staffed for it either. Had to block off part of Main Street to unload. Our little post office is only three parking spots wide by seven parking spots long. I know because I just looked at the satellite view.

The Postman

In fairness, I’ve made more than a few tobacco related purchases recently. Those delivered by USPS have consistently arrived in excellent shape and on the day before the estimated arrival date. An impressive performance unmatched by any other carrier. So, kudos to USPS.

(even if I did wind up driving to Waco and getting that amp myself)
More often than not we get it right. UPS and fedex have their issues too. I talk to the UPS guy everyday as he drops off a huge load of packages for us to deliver. He tells me about all thats wrong with them and I tell him all thats wrong with us. If you look at how much mail we actually handle everyday the numbers are pretty impressive as far as what percentage we get right. Personally I have had more issues with UPS and fedex when it comes to delivery or lack thereof.

Cramptholomew

Sales
More often than not we get it right. UPS and fedex have their issues too. I talk to the UPS guy everyday as he drops off a huge load of packages for us to deliver. He tells me about all thats wrong with them and I tell him all thats wrong with us. If you look at how much mail we actually handle everyday the numbers are pretty impressive as far as what percentage we get right. Personally I have had more issues with UPS and fedex when it comes to delivery or lack thereof.
Oh, dude, UPS and FedEx are the worst. “Thanks for paying for your parcel. Maybe we’ll handle it from here.” Last year I paid $50+ for 2 day delivery with UPS. Took 2.5 weeks.

The Postman

Oh, dude, UPS and FedEx are the worst. “Thanks for paying for your parcel. Maybe we’ll handle it from here.” Last year I paid $50+ for 2 day delivery with UPS. Took 2.5 weeks.
UPS has misdelivered to my house for a street that was 5 miles away from me, left my parcels in the middle of my driveway by the street. Fedex has lost my mortgage papers and delivered a guitar amp in my flower beds after they called me the day before and said someone would need to be there and sign for it. But every organization has some piss poor employees, don’t matter where you work.

Billy Joe

Thought he was passing through, but stayed.
Patron
UPS has misdelivered to my house for a street that was 5 miles away from me, left my parcels in the middle of my driveway by the street. Fedex has lost my mortgage papers and delivered a guitar amp in my flower beds after they called me the day before and said someone would need to be there and sign for it. But every organization has some piss poor employees, don’t matter where you work.
My local post office guys are great.
Several times, they have picked up mistakes before posting and allowed me to check out an address/code and fix it.

I've had the best luck with USPS of all carriers. With systems screwed up everywhere, it's not surprising that some packages will take round about journeys.

The Postman

My local post office guys are great.
Several times, they have picked up mistakes before posting and allowed me to check out an address/code and fix it.

I've had the best luck with USPS of all carriers. With systems screwed up everywhere, it's not surprising that some packages will take round about journeys.
I know a lot of good postal employees who really care about their customers and go the extra mile daily. Same thing with the 3 local UPS guys I know. They do their jobs well and help customers out as much as they can. A lot of times in this world the bad is publicized and not the good.

Cramptholomew

Sales
I know a lot of good postal employees who really care about their customers and go the extra mile daily. Same thing with the 3 local UPS guys I know. They do their jobs well and help customers out as much as they can. A lot of times in this world the bad is publicized and not the good.
This is true. I gotta say, though, the slackers really bring down morale for people who take pride in their work. Especially if you work for an entity where minimal maintenance of effort is beyond acceptable, and termination for a crap job isn’t really an option. It ends up, like, “geez, I’m actually doing my job well, and I care about my customers/staff, but no one else seems to give a crap. Why am I doing this?”. I have those thoughts at least once a week, but I keep going. If I do my job to the best of my ability, no one can judge me for it, especially myself.

The Postman

This is true. I gotta say, though, the slackers really bring down morale for people who take pride in their work. Especially if you work for an entity where minimal maintenance of effort is beyond acceptable, and termination for a crap job isn’t really an option. It ends up, like, “geez, I’m actually doing my job well, and I care about my customers/staff, but no one else seems to give a crap. Why am I doing this?”. I have those thoughts at least once a week, but I keep going. If I do my job to the best of my ability, no one can judge me for it, especially myself.
Thats all we can do. Do the best we can and the he k with everyone else. At least we can sleep at night.

MarkinAZ

Not as bad as @Cramptholomew boxes adventure. I had ordered a couple of bags of whole bean coffee from Case Study in Portland. It should have been delivered today, but....
1637439691151.png
It arrived at the Phoenix Dist center this morning and then turned around and departed the center. Instead of traveling to Sun City West (we do have a PO here), it decided to travel West to beautiful Yuma (only 150 plus miles more). I told our USPO lady when she came by today, and she said most likely, one of the worker tossed it into the wrong bend and that's why its taking this extra trip to Yuma. I said I figured that and it'll get lonely and finally make its way home to daddy ;)

massis

Sound all too familiar. I ordered some rods from Chris Kelly (Eldritch pipes) in early May this year. FYI: he is in the UK, I'm in Belgium, as the crow flies it's about 500km...
UPS had them until July 17, after which they delivered them... back at Chris's place!

They then proceeded to send me a late payment fee for the customs charges invoice I hadn't paid (because I had never received it OR the package).

But little did we know that was only the beginning. Chris then sent the package using Hermes.
First it went completely off the grid. Then 2 weeks later it popped back up. Another 2 days later it said "routed to incorrect depot" and then "at sorting hub" the day after.

'ok' I thought, 'crap happens'. (why is sh*t autoreplaced by "carp", I'm no fisherman ???)

But then it went to the incorrect depot again.
and again.
and again.

In total it went to the wrong depot SEVEN times before it stopped giving updates.

Then 3 weeks later: 'routed to incorrect depot' and "at national sorting hub"
and again.
Another FOUR times!

Then on September 19th, over 2 MONTHS after shipping, came the last updates to the tracking:
"routed to incorrect depot" followed by "at depot".

Meanwhile, Chris had sent me a replacement order using standard postal services. That arrived within a week.
Out of the blue, 2 days later, the original package arrived. Except there was only 1 rod in it instead of THREE.

During and since this process, we've both contacted Parcel2Go DOZENS of times, but they refuse to talk to me and tell Chris that it's not their fault but that they're inquiring with Hermes. Hermes refuses to talk to either one of us.
It's been 2 more months, the package still says it's "at depot".

Drydock

Sound all too familiar. I ordered some rods from Chris Kelly (Eldritch pipes) in early May this year. FYI: he is in the UK, I'm in Belgium, as the crow flies it's about 500km...
UPS had them until July 17, after which they delivered them... back at Chris's place!

They then proceeded to send me a late payment fee for the customs charges invoice I hadn't paid (because I had never received it OR the package).

But little did we know that was only the beginning. Chris then sent the package using Hermes.
First it went completely off the grid. Then 2 weeks later it popped back up. Another 2 days later it said "routed to incorrect depot" and then "at sorting hub" the day after.

'ok' I thought, 'crap happens'. (why is sh*t autoreplaced by "carp", I'm no fisherman ???)

But then it went to the incorrect depot again.
and again.
and again.

In total it went to the wrong depot SEVEN times before it stopped giving updates.

Then 3 weeks later: 'routed to incorrect depot' and "at national sorting hub"
and again.
Another FOUR times!

Then on September 19th, over 2 MONTHS after shipping, came the last updates to the tracking:
"routed to incorrect depot" followed by "at depot".

Meanwhile, Chris had sent me a replacement order using standard postal services. That arrived within a week.
Out of the blue, 2 days later, the original package arrived. Except there was only 1 rod in it instead of THREE.

During and since this process, we've both contacted Parcel2Go DOZENS of times, but they refuse to talk to me and tell Chris that it's not their fault but that they're inquiring with Hermes. Hermes refuses to talk to either one of us.
It's been 2 more months, the package still says it's "at depot".
That is horrible!

SmokeRings

Elitist Bastard
Patron
Don't forget that enormous volumes of parcel delivery shipments get moved by independent third party carriers from hub to hub, and things like breakdowns, equipment being placed out of service for inspection failures, employee incompetence, wrecks, theft, and all sorts of other issues complicate things even further for USPS, UPS, FedEx, and others, my first few years in trucking most of my loads were from one of these customers, and it's an absolute mess even at the slow times of the year, that doesn't even begin to factor in things like mistakes the originating service makes, then an individual truck in a fleet of potentially thousands or tens of thousands of trucks has to be found, stopped, rerouted etc, or times where trailers are repowered so drivers can get home, or any number of other issues and a load might sit for who knows how long until a truck is available to get to it.

dimik

A Cob-Loving Neuroscientist
If it makes you feel better, I recently had some irreplaceable documents sent to me via USPS super ultra special overnight document delivery. It disappeared for 4 days and nobody knew where they are. They then showed up back at the city of origin, and then eventually made it to me. Overnight document delivery indeed. Pretty sure I got even grayer as a result.

Top Bottom