Mylar Bags for Tobacco Storage

headrott

I just did this as an experiment as I've only done bulk in the bags so far and also just dumping tin contents in them.

I got the zippered, gussetted bags from Top Mylar (Pleasant Grove) so this applies to these bags. I couldn't fit a tin of SG into the pint bag because the mouth of the bag wasn't big enough. I was able to stuff 2 tins in the 1 quart bag with plenty of room. Those are the only two bag sizes that I have. Someone with the 2 quart, gallon, or 5 gallon bags may be able to chime in here if you are looking to store all 6 together.
Thanks @Slow Tri. I have the pint and quart sized gusseted (pleasant grove)bags as well. So, you are just shoving the whole tin(s) in the Mylar bags? I was thinking of opening them up and putting just the tobacco in the bags.... bad idea?

sablebrush52

Thanks @Slow Tri. I have the pint and quart sized gusseted (pleasant grove)bags as well. So, you are just shoving the whole tin(s) in the Mylar bags? I was thinking of opening them up and putting just the tobacco in the bags.... bad idea?
No, not at all. Tobacco ages just fine, sealed in Mylar. If it's good enough for GL Pease and Germain's, it's good enough for me. The only reason to keep it in the tin is if that matters to you. Putting the tins inside mylar may seem like a "belt and suspenders" approach, but there's nothing wrong with that. And should you decide that you want a tin of brand A to smoke and open the bag containing multiple tins, you can remove the one tin without exposing more tobacco than you care to consume. Just re-bag the rest.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I couldn't fit a tin of SG into the pint bag because the mouth of the bag wasn't big enough. I was able to stuff 2 tins in the 1 quart bag with plenty of room.
Oh, they fit all right. You just don't want it bad enough. :p

Seriously though, I can get a single tin in a pint bag lengthwise, and without damaging the bag. I have probably done it 10 times now.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron

FWIW, I will be opening the tins and bagging only the contents.

My primary focus here is to get some tobacco out of tins I'm worried about.
If I left the tobacco in the tins, maybe all I would have accomplished with the mylar bags was to throw rusted tins into an air-tight bag.

headrott

Sorry if this has been asked here already:

What's the take on Esoterica bags? Do you re-seal/double bag them in mylar, or is the bag they arrive in sufficient?
I have a 3 year old bag of Penzance still sealed. It’s the only esoterica Mylar bag I have, so have no personal experience with aging the tobacco in the 8 ounce Mylar esoterica bags, but it’s my understanding that it should age fine in them.

AceFour

There was one online shop that suggested not using the bags for long term storage/aging. They recommended their customers move the contents to jars or other container if aging bagged blends.
I thought that was interesting.
Well I think that is because of wear and tear. I know some folks that bags of Eso stored only to find that the corners wore out and the tobacco dried out. IMHO that probably made the ESO better but that is a topic for another day.:D

Briarbuda48

I have numerous bags of Esoterica, even a cream colored bag of Penzance. All with no issues. That being said, I recognize I am taking a risk so they sit very quietly, undisturbed in a box until I am ready. It takes a great deal of personal restraint not to open the box and fiddle with each bag in anticipation of the first smoke. I’ve got a problem, at least it’s just pipes and tobacco.

Briarbuda48

Oh, I just mylared my first, John Cotton’s Double Pressed Virginia. The bags are less expensive than jars and I was running out of room. I won’t backtrack and re-cellar my jars but moving forward I think this is a viable option, less cost, weight and real estate. I purchased 50 of the gussets 7 mm. Thanks to all for the guidance.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I do double bag my Esoterica 8oz bags in another mylar sheath, because Germain's has stated that they're not intended for long term storage. Tins have more integrity, and I haven't sealed those in mylar, but it's not gonna hurt anything.