Mylar Bags for Tobacco Storage

I do exactly as @millarddj describes above with Esoterica as well. The only tins I always put in Mylar are Sam Gawith. I’ve seen a few failed seals over the years there.
I am about to seal some Gawith tins. Had one from 2018 pop, so....
Question if anyone has experience, there are a few people who are using oxygen absorbers when storing sealed tins. But I can’t really figure out the benefit of that.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Looks like Pleasant Grove just added a new sized pouch that is perfect with the wide mouth.

The new size is perfect compared to the pint which was too narrow for me. Now hoping they make this version with a clear front.

View attachment 77484
Nice! Those are definitely an improvement over the narrow pint size....which I do like, but can get messy.

kxg

Patron
I've been using the Mylar bags since August of '19 and with several that I've opened since, there has been no aromas taken on by the tobacco (I can discern no aroma with the bags themselves). That is a short sample time, especially as I plan to store my bags for 5 - 10 years or perhaps more, depending on all the smoking factors. I would say my major concern with Mylar is if there is a future determination that something in the plastic formulation is harmful and can be imparted to whatever is stored. I consider it unlikely at this point, but you never know. I figure by the time something like that is discovered, I'll be on borrowed time anyway.

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
I've eaten plain rice and pasta packed in mylar for ten years and it had no issues. Mylar has a long history with food and its use for the military and NASA. People even make videos opening and eating old contents from the bags.

In tobacco use, its still pretty new but a few have posted success in opening ten years and older bags.

The only thing Mylar could do to a MRE is improve the taste...

Oouder

I have had great luck so far:

I’ve opened 10 year old Compton’s mixtures and been met with nothing but wonderful smelling tobacco. Those bags Maxim used were not the high quality bags we are using now. I’m not too concerned about negative smells from the bags. I recently opened a bag of Luxury Navy Flake I had heat sealed a bit over a year ago smell was/is amazing. Not plastic odors at all. The bags don’t really have a scent to them.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Excuse me, a query.
I understood that it is not advisable to store tobacco with plastic (even if it is for food) since tobacco takes on aromas.
Doesn't it happen with this type of bags? I am somewhat skeptical, really.
That is a valid question.
However, the plastics referred to in most of the articles I've read on this topic are very different from the materials that make up mylar bags.

The issues with plastic are usually with hard plastic containers. Heck, even Tupperware containers weren't BPA free until about 10 years ago.

As far as aromas are concerned, oatmeal has smelled and tasted perfectly normal after being stored for over 20 years in mylar. That tells me a lot because oatmeal seems as likely as tobacco to absorb flavor/odor over time.

nutcracker

So weighing in here.
Help me out chaps and chapettes:

Pros:
Seals air tight, lighter than jars
Can put big label with description
Fit nicely in filing boxes

Disadvantages:
Effort of changing over a lot of existing jars
Jars are practical for take some-leave some without effort
Jars are environmentally friendly

Choices choices
7DC82C32-0523-4240-BC6D-D1B6CF66EF22.jpeg

McWiggins

I'm using mylar for long term storage and glass jars for my daily rotation. Seems to work well enough for me.
That's my system, mylar for long term and jars for what I have open. My shelf has around 300 blends I can pull from. Once a jar is done I can open a bag to refill it as I store it all at about two ounces per. I then replace the jar lid with a new one.

The mylar bags go into black storage bins that are numbered. A spreadsheet helps me find what I'm looking for, check on what I have, how much I have and their dates. This goes for my tins as well.

Yes, I'm a nerdy guy. :geek: :puffy: