Mylar Bags for Tobacco Storage

McWiggins

I think it depends on a few things. I only use Top Mylar and they use a thick bag, its pretty stiff at 7mil. Thats what the military use and others for long term storage of decades.

I have experienced failure in thinner bags at 4mil. The failure in these cases were at creases where the bag was folded over and repeatedly folded and unfolded with use.

Last edited:

headrott

I think it depends on a few things. I only use Top Mylar and they use a thick bag, its pretty stiff at 7mil. Thats what the military use and others for long term storage of decades.

I have experienced failure in thinner bags at 4mil. The failure in these cases were are creases where the bag was folded over and repeatedly folded and unfolded with use.
That’s what I use (Top Mylar). I definitely could see that using thinner Mylar bags could cause holes (from creases, etc.) in the bags leading to dried out tobacco.

Chico

Were there small punctures in the Mylar bags? Seems hard to believe a heat sealed bag would end up with dried out tobacco.
No holes that I noticed, but they were definitely not the thick, stiff kind. Those I've used to good effect, though find that the ziploc part tends to detach from the bag.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the ones that failed had transparent windows to see the contents. Probably just that would mean not airtight.

Eulogy

I could see creases causing tiny holes in the bag. Honestly, once I've bagged something I don't mess with it till I need it again. I can't imagine the sort of wear and tear to cause bag failure if I'm not moving or messing with the bags.

I still think jars are a reasonable way to store tobacco. I think it depends on how much tobacco you have cellared though. A few pounds or even ten or fifteen could be stored without a hassle but 30+ pounds of tobacco needs more creative storage options.

McWiggins

It's worth noting that even with the large gallon bags that I've ordered, Top Mylar (Pleasant Grove Farm) doesn't fold the bags for shipping and ships them flat to preserve the integrity of the bags.
I second that. I order the gallon bags for long term storage of rice, flour and so on. They have never folded anything, always flat in a large box.

sfduke

Sales
My belief is that if one uses a quality product with proper storage, they will last a long time. After all, both the military and NASA use them not just for now, but to be used decades from now in case of an emergency.
Agreed. Use a 7mil mylar like those from Pleasant Grove and no worries. Full confidence in the quality of their seals.