Need Help and Support- Trying to quit cigarettes

Sidd

Hello everyone,

I shall come straight to the point without beating the bush. I have been smoking cigs perhaps since 1995-96. Same old story, went to the college, everyone was doing it so I did it for the heck of it- felt like a man crap. Got hooked :( Picked up pipe smoking in 2004 and realised it was something I was after. I think a lot, read a lot and write a lot either professionally or as a hobbyist. I am a writer and I know it. Anyway, what I noticed was that cigs tired me during reading / writing and I start disliking that, however, pipe umm oh well I can go on and on but won't- a nice pipe smoke not only soothes me but helps in my thinking process during my reading / writing.

I thought that as I move along with my pipe I shall eventually quit cigs but I did not and have not yet. However, this feeling of quitting on the cigs is with me deep down for the past 5-6 years now and right now I am more than serious to do so. I read Alen Car's book which is amazing and quit for a day but then started again. I have tried to reduce from a pack a day to half a pack a day which works but then I come back to the full pack without noticing and the tis really bad.

Deep down I know I hate cigs and want ot quit but I just cannot find a possible way. How to do that. I have tried e-cigs and nicotine gums etc but nothing seems to work. I know as Car says in his EASYWAY to quit that you just need ot make a decision and stand by it. I am psychologically up for it but can't put it to practice. I have started disliking the taste of cigs (after enjoying the taste of a pipe tobacco you get to know how filthy a cig is) but I do not know why am I a slave to those little death sticks :( can't find a way out... I am contemplating going cold turkey one of these days again so lets see...

Looking forward to encouragement and support... I do hope I could quit cigs and keep to my 1-2 bowls a day pipe smoking routine. I just wish I could...

Just an idea- is it worth it? If I quit cigs and start inhaling my pipe now and then would that keep my nicotine intake settled and help me quit? Once done I could stop inhaling pipe gradually. Would that work???

JustScott

I can totally understand that smoking a pipe is more enjoyable than a cig. It's still a hard transition, both because the actions are different and because the uptake curve is different. For starters, what blends do you smoke in your pipe? You will have a difficult time switching from instant-on high nic to the slower uptake from a pipe as it is, but a lower-nicotine pipe blend is going to be the same as cold turkey. What blends are available? You may want to check and see what the highest-nic blends available to you are, and see if you like them. Things like Gawith-Hoggarth ropes, Dark Bird's Eye, Kendal Kentucky, etc. If you like them, they will keep your nic level plenty high, no inhaling necessary. You may end up smoking more pipes in a day, but you won't "need" a pipe for nicotine as often as you "need" a cig. It's all mostly retraining your body and your brain once you get the nic situation sorted. Of course, that's the actual hard part, lol... It's a difficult thing to do, but it's a very worthwhile one. Good luck, and I'm sure that more people will chime in with support and help.

CrazyIvan779

Hello everyone,

I shall come straight to the point without beating the bush. I have been smoking cigs perhaps since 1995-96. Same old story, went to the college, everyone was doing it so I did it for the heck of it- felt like a man crap. Got hooked :( Picked up pipe smoking in 2004 and realised it was something I was after. I think a lot, read a lot and write a lot either professionally or as a hobbyist. I am a writer and I know it. Anyway, what I noticed was that cigs tired me during reading / writing and I start disliking that, however, pipe umm oh well I can go on and on but won't- a nice pipe smoke not only soothes me but helps in my thinking process during my reading / writing.

I thought that as I move along with my pipe I shall eventually quit cigs but I did not and have not yet. However, this feeling of quitting on the cigs is with me deep down for the past 5-6 years now and right now I am more than serious to do so. I read Alen Car's book which is amazing and quit for a day but then started again. I have tried to reduce from a pack a day to half a pack a day which works but then I come back to the full pack without noticing and the tis really bad.

Deep down I know I hate cigs and want ot quit but I just cannot find a possible way. How to do that. I have tried e-cigs and nicotine gums etc but nothing seems to work. I know as Car says in his EASYWAY to quit that you just need ot make a decision and stand by it. I am psychologically up for it but can't put it to practice. I have started disliking the taste of cigs (after enjoying the taste of a pipe tobacco you get to know how filthy a cig is) but I do not know why am I a slave to those little death sticks :( can't find a way out... I am contemplating going cold turkey one of these days again so lets see...

Looking forward to encouragement and support... I do hope I could quit cigs and keep to my 1-2 bowls a day pipe smoking routine. I just wish I could...

Just an idea- is it worth it? If I quit cigs and start inhaling my pipe now and then would that keep my nicotine intake settled and help me quit? Once done I could stop inhaling pipe gradually. Would that work???
Very difficult transition. Start with the stronger burleys and ween off of those. But its also just as important to recognize that mind-body connection because it is a physical addiction to it. Much like drinking, if you can know when something triggers you to light one up, choose an alternative. it is not easy and you will fall, but you got this brother! just my two cents.

JustScott

Both these guys have mentioned something I forgot to: the fact that you WANT to quit. That's the one thing that makes it even possible. I tried to quit at least 10 times, because it wasn't good for me, or my girlfriend wanted me to quit, or I just shouldn't do it, etc. When I finally decided that I wanted to quit, for me, for my own reasons and no one else's, that's the time it worked. You're already on the right path.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I can totally understand that smoking a pipe is more enjoyable than a cig. It's still a hard transition, both because the actions are different and because the uptake curve is different. For starters, what blends do you smoke in your pipe? You will have a difficult time switching from instant-on high nic to the slower uptake from a pipe as it is, but a lower-nicotine pipe blend is going to be the same as cold turkey. What blends are available? You may want to check and see what the highest-nic blends available to you are, and see if you like them. Things like Gawith-Hoggarth ropes, Dark Bird's Eye, Kendal Kentucky, etc. If you like them, they will keep your nic level plenty high, no inhaling necessary. You may end up smoking more pipes in a day, but you won't "need" a pipe for nicotine as often as you "need" a cig. It's all mostly retraining your body and your brain once you get the nic situation sorted. Of course, that's the actual hard part, lol... It's a difficult thing to do, but it's a very worthwhile one. Good luck, and I'm sure that more people will chime in with support and help.
This.

I wish you the best of luck. It's do-able! :beerchug:

joeahearn

I was as deeply addicted to cigarettes as it was possible to be, but I was able to quit them in 1994. What worked for me was switching from commercial cigarettes to roll-ups, and then using pipes and snuff to gradually reduce and then eliminate the roll-ups.

It’s my strong belief that there are highly addictive compounds in commercial cigarettes over and above nicotine. That’s because I went through withdrawal when I switched to roll-ups, even though at first I was smoking strong tobacco and smoking as many roll-ups a day as I wanted.

Once you get over the addiction to the witch’s brew in commercial cigarettes, you will only have an addiction to nicotine to deal with and it’s possible to replace inhaled nicotine with non-inhaled.

Stopping a cigarette addiction is a major struggle, but for the rest of your life you will be happy you did so. Think about it: Why should you pay those bastards to kill you? For that is surely what you are doing.

I know you can do this, because I did, and, as I say, I was as addicted to cigarettes as anyone I have ever known.

Hang in there. One day at a time.

jpberg

The Worst Thing about the Internet
Staff member
Sales
Sidd, I’ll echo @JustScott ’s statement.
I don’t know if you’re familiar with smokeless tobacco (Copenhagen), but I was addicted to that stuff for decades. Many spectacular failures at quitting - until one day I just said “That’s it”, and just stopped - dead stop, haven’t done it since. I hope that will happen soon for you.
In the meantime, I’m intrigued by the idea of inhaling pipe tobacco as a means of getting your “fix”, but I wonder if the combination of habit and chemical additives in the cigarettes can be overcome by that. I don’t think it would hurt to try.
Best of luck to you regardless, I hope you have that monkey off your back soon.

Ray Mackessy

I used to be a 2 pack a day cig smoker. Stress was a big factor in my craving for cigs (law enforcement for 38 yrs). After I retired in 2009 I decided it was time to quit or at least cut way down. I now only smoke a cig after each meal and one in the morning with my coffee. That's the time of day where I crave them the most. I've also switched from full strength to ultra lights and buy the cheapest cigs I can find. They taste terrible, but they do provide the instant nic hit I crave. I've also taken up using dip and that helps a lot. At least I'm not inhaling when I use dip. The remainder of the time I smoke high nic pipe tobacco (5 brothers is good). That's the way I do it, but it may or may not work for you. By the way, I talked to my doctor and he approves of my way, but still insists that I continue to cut down until I quit the cigs altogether. He's not anti pipe, but does insist that I rinse out my mouth after each dip, which I do. Good Luck with your mission.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
Smoked about 2-3 packs a day for years. For various reasons my wife was OK with my cigs (she smoked) but not so much the pipe. After she died I started toying with the pipe again. Then it hit me that I had the perfect job for a pipe smoker. Potato chip route salesman. Spent a lot of time in the truck either driving or pulling orders. One day I noticed I was out of RYO tobacco and I needed to get a can. That was approximately 9 years ago. I still keep forgetting to pick up a can of Bali Shag. This is a long way of saying I did not quit cigs, they quit me. I wish everybody had as easy a time kicking them. Well, except the wife dying part.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I smoked cigarettes on and off (mostly on) since high school but finally quit for good a few years ago. For me to be able to do it I had to quit all nicotine, including pipes, until I felt I could smoke a pipe without immediately running out for some p.stokkebye RYO (about six weeks).
Once I returned to the pipe my palate had shifted substantially and it has never really "recovered" (for example perique now tastes pretty bad most of the time).

Good luck to you, whatever method you follow.
I do not advise inhaling if you're trying to keep the torment to a minimum. Physical addiction is short, mental addiction is...not.

bosun

Smoked for more than 40 years. Cigs, cigars, pipe, and dip. Tried to quit many times, failed. Retired. "Talked" with some one who vaped. She gave me the run down on what I needed, secret code words, etc. Ordered a start up kit, slowed down on cigs (was rolling my own). Ended up stopping buying tobacco for cigs in a short time - couple of months max? , just vape now a days. Relatively painless and I don't have that craving/addiction for vaping that I had for coffin nails. Only problem I have is looking at my dust covered pipes as I ended up losing interest in smoking them too. That and the 50 pounds I have stashed for the tobacco apocalypse which will come eventually (g). The government is saying vaping is bad for you. the doctors are saying vaping is bad for you, but they're passing laws making smoking unfiltered marijuana legal. Go figure. But then, they haven't figured out how to make vaping the cash cow tobacco is..

Oouder

I love shag cut tobacco when I want a quick strong nic hit. I don’t crave cigs anymore but sometimes want a nice good bit of strength in my smoke and I’ll have a small bit of snuff before my pipe. That is amazing and I’d bet would help you immensely in your cig craving.

I carry a Juul (for when my 7yr old is around) and now snuff in my back pack. I smoked cigs for about 17 years 17-34. I quit when I left the financial district and all the stress behind. I really wanted to quit for a good 5 years before I did but this fast paced world is not suited for a pipe smoker and makes it difficult to find a place to smoke on the go if that’s to be your main method of intake (get a falcon with a dental bit) Now that I work from home I smoke lots of pipes (probably 7 or 8) throughout the day.

I also agree it’s more than just nic your craving. You have got to get off their chemical cocktail to break free my friend. I can tell by your conviction your going to make it. You gotta want it!

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
I had smoked cigarettes on and off (mostly on) since I was in high school but finally quit for good a few years ago. For me to be able to do it I had to quit all nicotine, including pipes, until I felt I could smoke a pipe without immediately running out for some p.stokkebey RYO (about six weeks).
Once I returned to the pipe my palate had shifted substantially, and it has never really "recovered" (for example perique now tastes pretty bad most of the time).

Good luck to you, whatever method you follow.
I do not advise inhaling if you're trying to keep the torment to a minimum. Physical addiction is short, mental addiction is...not.
Spill hit the nail on the head. The mental addiction is pretty strong. I smoked cigarettes for a couple of decades because I rarely had the time or situation allowed for the ritual required for enjoying a pipe. I read about the habit part of hand to mouth action, how you hold your mouth doing activities with a cigarette, and noticed those behaviour patterns in myself. I went out and bought some sticks of cinnamon, and would chew and worry them in my mouth as I did my thing. The bark would slowly dissolve over time, and my breath was freshened by the cinnamon. Somehow over time I got away from needing cigarettes and was able to wait until I had time for a pipe to actually smoke. Maybe there's something in the cinnamon bark that calms the cravings? I just know it helped me. Perhaps it can help you.

RedScot

1-2 packs a day for a lotta years left me feeling dark about myself and my future. I was almost always around significant others who also smoked, and that made it that much harder to slow down my ciggie habit - I still have a pack with seven nails left in it that's been on my nightstand for just over three years; I haven't stopped smoking cigarettes, but I haven't felt like finishing the pack yet. I reserve the right to do so at any point. If I'd quit, smoking another cigarette would mean I failed.
I switched to vaping gradually over about eight months, just taking a hit or two off the vape when I felt like picking up a cigarette - just enough to get through the craving, calling it an experiment to see how long I could go between smokes. If I smoked it was okay, amd if I didn't that was okay too - I wasn't trying to quit; I was merely playing a game.
The vape was awesome at breaking up the routine of smoking. Not only did I get my nicotine, I also had that old familiar rhythm broken up.
I had been the type of smoker who'd stick a cigarette in the corner of his mouth and only remove it to tap off the ash. The problems I had with a vape were twofold: you can't take a pull off it without holding down a button, and there's no way to hold a box mod in your mouth while your hands are doing something else. That's how I wound up coming back to pipes - all my problems solved.
Vaping also interrupted the sensation of inhaling smoke. The lining of your mouth absorbs nicotine readily enough, so inhaling isn't necessary to get the nic fix. I still inhale partially every once in awhile, and don't beat myself up over it...just between us, I still like the feeling of smoke hitting the back of my throat, and I occasionally let it.
Don't know if any of that helps. Transitioning is possible, but as I stated earlier I still haven't quit. I just keep setting a personal best for time between ciggies, day by day.

Hoosierpipeguy

I quit a 1 1/2 pack menthol cigarette habit in September 2007. Coming up on the 12th anniversary. I was also smoking cigars at the time. I started taking Chantix and quit in 10 days. The Chantix helped but the primary thing was commitment. I was determined to quit. I quit cigars as well, for 6 months, because I was concerned that may make it more difficult to lay off the cigarettes. I have not had a single puff from a cigarette since that time. And really have no desire to. I started smoking cigars again and a couple of years ago, came back to the pipe. Now I smoke very, very few cigars and mostly smoke pipe.

It would be absurd, I think, to try and say smoking tobacco in any manner is good for you. However, I believe cigarettes are magnitudes worse than cigars and pipe. I can speak from experience for the addiction being far greater. Bottom line, you must have a 100% unfailing commitment to kicking the cigarette happen. No compromise. Ever. If you can put that in your mind, you'll quit. Otherwise, it's just a matter of time before you'll return to the cigs. Best of luck with your efforts.