Need recommation for a new potential pipe smoker.

StompyMcFat

Hello, gents. I have a dear friend, Jason, who texted me yesterday of his desire to take up the pipe. He has tried before, either before I met him or before I smoked a pipe. His first first was a tongue burning nightmare and he pitched the tobacco and pipe. He does not remember what tobacco he had tried, as this was probably thirty years ago.
Jason asked me for a recommendation of pipes and tobacco.
I mostly smoke latakia and virginia blends. He asked for a good smell for non smokers, an old time pipe smell like he remembers from growing up. Latakia doesn't smell great and virginia is dangerous to the tongue when learning cadence and packing.
So I'm wondering what tobacco to start him with. I'm thinking a burley blend, maybe cube cut for easy loading. I've not branched out into burly blends too much. Please suggest a tobacco that is going to smell good in his house, not burn his tongue, and have a friendly burn. Maybe something aromatic but not goopy tongue burning aromatic. I'll start him off with a cob and a sampler soon, but I will place an order first if you all suggest something I don't have.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Definitely a cob, they never gurgle or complain..

Carter Hall for the Burley, BLWB can get a little gooey towards the end.

Rattray Dark Fragrant. Virginia Cavendish it is, but it's never bitten me. Well behaved in the pipe.

PS LBF to introduce him to flakes/coins. Also well behaved in a pipe, and fun to play with.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS LBF to introduce him to flakes/coins. Also well behaved in a pipe, and fun to play with.
Luxury Bullseye is a real good intro to Virginia because it has enough Cavendish to bring things down to a simmer, and so prevent the new smoker from burning himself too badly.

As with most Virginia-centric things, it doesn't smell terribly good to non-smoker bystanders, but it also doesn't smell like burning tires, either. So that's something.

StompyMcFat

Definitely a cob, they never gurgle or complain..

Carter Hall for the Burley, BLWB can get a little gooey towards the end.

Rattray Dark Fragrant. Virginia Cavendish it is, but it's never bitten me. Well behaved in the pipe.

I have all of these, having picked up some Dark Fragrant at the last box pass.

+1 on the Watch City DCC.
Also Wilke 191 or Rumcake are very pleasant. Boswell's No Bite Delite would also fit the bill.
Let me know if I can send you some of these.
If memory serves, you introduced me to DCC when my girl was born in 2018. I think you also gave me some no bite delite in that package. I still have some no bite delite, a good choice. I'll add it.

Lane Limited 1-Q. Nice aroma, lightly sweet and I have yet to hear of anyone getting tongue bit from it.
I may be out of 1Q, but I have Ernie's 4Q version. I'll include that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peacock

There is no spoon.
Luxury Bullseye is a real good intro to Virginia because it has enough Cavendish to bring things down to a simmer, and so prevent the new smoker from burning himself too badly.

As with most Virginia-centric things, it doesn't smell terribly good to non-smoker bystanders, but it also doesn't smell like burning tires, either. So that's something.
I would suggest KBV Burlier Morning it has a nice room note in my opinion and most people like coffee. Savinelli 140 is also pretty mild and chocolaty and smells good.
LBF and Burly Morning Pipe are great suggestions along with Carter Hall. I LOVE WCC Nor'easter and Persian Slipper as lighter Latakia blends

Bach6032

My two cents' worth: (1) @Ozark Wizard gets a +1: a cob is a fabulous pipe--Jason or veteran. (2) @Green Drake gets a +1: demonstrate proper packing and smoking cadence, (3) to that, I'll add the need to demonstrate the art of tamping gently (when I started decades ago, I tamped the $#!+ out of my pipe and wondered why the draw was so tight).

For a mix of great flavor and an aroma that draws 'em like a magnet, The Country Squire Figgy Pudding. Its behavior in the pipe is like that of a well-trained hunting dog.

You can have the conversation with Jason about filters/no filters. In my MM pipes I prefer to use Medico filters because they keep the draw open and make the experience nice 'n dry.