New C&D and Warped Cigar tobacco: The Haunting -- thoughts?

Drydock

Just got an alert about this and watched the interview Shane did over at SP.com.

So, it sounds interesting? Bright & Red Virginias with Warped cigar's curated cigar leaf components. About a 60/40 mix. No Latakia. I may have misunderstood the interview, but it could either be interpreted as a one-time limited release of 2000. Like, forever. OR, it could understood to mean that this will be a seasonal release, perhaps annually each Fall? Not sure.

Thoughts? Better minds with more developed palates out there than mine. I'm curious, but if it's a one-off. I mean, man. My spending, my cellar, my family commitments...my money tree ain't growing fast enough.

From watching the video the seasonal vs. one time limited release thing was left open to interpretation. That point could have definitely used some clarifying.

Then again I think their endevours with the Small Batch blends could use a list of some type that customers could reference to find out whether or not a blend will be one time release.

Anyway, looks like something I might enjoy.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
From watching the video the seasonal vs. one time limited release thing was left open to interpretation. That point could have definitely used some clarifying.

Then again I think their endevours with the Small Batch blends could use a list of some type that customers could reference to find out whether or not a blend will be one time release.

Anyway, looks like something I might enjoy.
I didn't see the video. I was just going by the release emailed that said: "Limited to only 2,000 serialized tins, The Haunting is a limited edition blend, exclusive to Smokingpipes.com."

Also, you're right. Any release like this could be a "market test" of sorts.

blackmouth210

Patron
Guess my thinking is something like: "Why try something I might really like and can't get more later?"
I hope you never thought that way while on the "dating" scene. :bigyellowgrin:

I think I understand the reasons for making these "limited" blends. Some ingredients/components truly are limited.
But they're just not for me.

Maybe it's because a blender needs a different approach when making something that has to appeal to smokers on a long-term basis as opposed to making something that he/she knows will sell because of the "Limited Edition" tag.

Long-term success requires a whole other level of care...
We hope to sell 2,000 tins of this a year.
vs
We only need to sell 2,000 tins of this.

Last edited:
I saw the email announcement of this blend. It's a personal flaw, but instead of being drawn to "limited edition" blends I tend to avoid them. Guess my thinking is something like: "Why try something I might really like and can't get more later?"
I totally agree with your last statement and usually avoid these blends for that reason. Last thing I need is another tobacco I like that is unobtainable.

JAK

Idk but I ordered 4 tins just because. I tend to enjoy limited seasonal blends. There isn't an all day everyday tobacco that I have settled on though I would like that. I enjoy the variety and popping open something new. Seasonal stuff could be just a marketing ploy but I do find theones I have had do fight the fall or winter quite well.

blackmouth210

Patron
As a matter of fact I did.

If we're talking about dating, yeah, I didn't see the point of asking someone out if going in I knew it wasn't going to work. (Of course, one or both of us might decide once is enough after the first date, but that wasn't the question.)
Not a Bob Seger fan, huh?

"I used her, she used me, and neither one cared" :thumbsup:

headrott

I imagine this being more extreme than Billy Budd Blond as far as the cigar leaf goes. I like Billy Budd Blond at the beginning of the bowl as I can taste the mixture of Virginia, Perique, and cigar leaf. To my tastes, by just past the midway bowl in Billy Budd Blond, the cigar leaf is basically the only thing I taste.

I cannot say that The Haunting will be the same, but will say you better like cigar leaf in your pipe blend, a lot, just in case.