New (to me) blends

kxg

Patron
Yesterday must have been "new blend day", who knew? I tried Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh for the first time, and Borkum Riff original for the first time in probably 35 years. The PA and SWR were in honor of my grandfather who passed away in 1965 but made a lasting impression on me with his love of pipe smoking. The BR was more a nostalgic trip for me.

The pouch note on the PA and SWR was a bit alarming, I don't know if it is heavily topped with PG or what, but I was not impressed. Fortunately, that quality did not carry over to the smoke. I can't say I was excited about the PA, it seemed rather blah - nothing bad, nothing great. But that was a first smoke, so I'm not giving up on it. The SWR was better but not grandly so. Again, more work to do with this tobacco. I smoked both in Canadian shape Savinelli's for what that is worth.
The BR I smoked in a Peterson 312. I found it more flavorful that the PA and SWR, but different than I remember. That probably says more about my memory than the tobacco. It was not an unpleasant smoke but nothing to write home about. More smokes to follow. As it stands now, I won't be buying tubs of this stuff, but that opinion is subject to change.

craig

Yesterday must have been "new blend day", who knew? I tried Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh for the first time, and Borkum Riff original for the first time in probably 35 years. The PA and SWR were in honor of my grandfather who passed away in 1965 but made a lasting impression on me with his love of pipe smoking. The BR was more a nostalgic trip for me.

The pouch note on the PA and SWR was a bit alarming, I don't know if it is heavily topped with PG or what, but I was not impressed. Fortunately, that quality did not carry over to the smoke. I can't say I was excited about the PA, it seemed rather blah - nothing bad, nothing great. But that was a first smoke, so I'm not giving up on it. The SWR was better but not grandly so. Again, more work to do with this tobacco. I smoked both in Canadian shape Savinelli's for what that is worth.
The BR I smoked in a Peterson 312. I found it more flavorful that the PA and SWR, but different than I remember. That probably says more about my memory than the tobacco. It was not an unpleasant smoke but nothing to write home about. More smokes to follow. As it stands now, I won't be buying tubs of this stuff, but that opinion is subject to change.
that was my opinion of Prince Albert, not bad by far but not much going on, it's ideal for a quick "livener" as I call it, in a legend cob a bowl is gone in about 15 minutes in anything more than a slight breeze.
like I say nothing fantastic but in a pinch it will do.
but once the pouch is gone I doubt I will be begging on here for a trading partner.
Carter hall on the other hand is far superior that touch of added flavour and slower burn rate.....fantastic

MURPH

Before it w
Sure, I'll saddle up and say I just tried Amphora Virginia. I was a bit astonished. I'm going to be picking up a bit more next month. Rather nice! I only request is that those yahoos that hear a positive review don't buy every pouch not nailed down.
Before it was available here in the US I was buying it from Denmark. The first 10 pouches I got 6 of them had mold. I didn't jar them up right away. When I did get around to putting into jars 6 months had passed. I contacted MacBaren and got no response. The next 10 I got 2 that had mold from here in the US. Just saying

I wish it was available in bulk

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Before it w

Before it was available here in the US I was buying it from Denmark. The first 10 pouches I got 6 of them had mold. I didn't jar them up right away. When I did get around to putting into jars 6 months had passed. I contacted MacBaren and got no response. The next 10 I got 2 that had mold from here in the US. Just saying

I wish it was available in bulk
I had heard of occasional mold issues. I plan on jarring up an ounce of this and driving through the balance of the pouch. Subsequent purchases will be jarred for posterity, and to allow viewing of any changes.