Nic Sick?

skywalker

Smooth Criminal
It's only happened to me once from a pipe, and that was from sailing the Royal Yacht, two bowls in a row, on an empty stomach. It bowled me over. I had to guzzle some molasses and lie down for a spell to get my blood sugar up and running again. I felt like heaving. It was awful. I say this as a man who can chain-smoke cigars for five hours on end and not feel a tingle.

Speaking of cigars...

Once, when some buddies and I were 13, we went on a trip to Vegas and snuck off to buy some shop-rolled "Cuban seed" cigars. Not knowing what the hell we were doing, we inhaled the bastards. We practically turned green, puking our guts out on the strip. I swore, right then and there, that I'd never go near a tobacco product so long as I lived. Funny how that oath worked out for me.

JustScott

Whew, lots of times. I only get one bowl a day, and not even every day at present. Couple that with the fact that I prefer bold-flavored blends that are pretty much always high nicotine, and I am an experienced traveler on the road to the cool tiles at the base of the toilet. Multiple blends have gotten me. I've been working on my tolerance with the help of snus, and it's definitely helping. I can't remember the last time I got the spinny sweats from a pipe, it's been at least 7 or 8 months. Lately, it's been mostly snus, either I decided to try the White Fox Full Charge again (still not quite ready for 16mg delivered so quickly, at least not 2 months ago) or decided I'd be fine and went ahead and had a tenth portion for the day (yeah, that really was too much, and I knew it was, but I did it anyway...) Those two are the only times in a long while, and I haven't puked from nicotine in over a year, at least. So, with the help of snus and snuff, I'm getting better. Soon I'll be ready to join the Dark-Plug-all-day club. Maybe by then Dark Plug will be in stock somewhere...

RedScot

When I was sixteen my best friend showed up with a pack of Picayune cigarettes. I'd been dipping for awhile and smoking cigarettes here and there, but after one Picayune I was ready to stop for a few hours. No pukes, bit it was a close call.
I have no idea what the kinship is between the old cigarettes and the D&R pipe tobacco, but I'll eventually find out.
These days bright virginias will occasionally make the world tilt, especially flakes. It happens more often than not when I'm outside moving around a lot and clenching...not even really puffing the pipe, just sipping every now and again - I might be incidentally breath-smoking, and that may be the issue. After the first time or three I finally figured out that I could set the pipe aside 'til my stomach settled down.
My "night-night blend" is a pretty stout blend to start with, and I add 25% perique. It'll get me woozy for a minute maybe once every couple of months, but again, setting the pipe down before it gets bad is the key.
Too much snuff, on the other hand, has never once hit my stomach like pipe tobacco will. It makes my jaws hurt, though, like I've been cracking pecans with my teeth all day.

Colorado0321

If I ever start feeling a bit light headed, I just pack a second bowl of the opposite kind of tobacco to cancel it out. For example: if I have too much ribbon cut Burley, I'll switch immediately to a plug Virginia. Or maybe if Irish Flake is getting to me, anything Syrian is pretty much the opposite of Irish, so I'll go that route. Fixes me right up. Σ = 0.

That's how it works, right? :puffy:

psquared

DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...
Patron
...These days bright virginias will occasionally make the world tilt, especially flakes. It happens more often than not when I'm outside moving around a lot and clenching...not even really puffing the pipe, just sipping every now and again - I might be incidentally breath-smoking, and that may be the issue. After the first time or three I finally figured out that I could set the pipe aside 'til my stomach settled down...
This is typically what would catch me. Working and smoking. Did a number one day smoking Brown Bogie while hoeing the garden on a 90 degree day. Sat my :ass: right down in the shade for about 20 minutes. I've never driven the porcelain bus due to nic OD, but temporary incapacitation... Oh yeah. Problem is, I like the rush you get on the other side as you recover. Woooooooo!!!

RedScot

If I ever start feeling a bit light headed, I just pack a second bowl of the opposite kind of tobacco to cancel it out. For example: if I have too much ribbon cut Burley, I'll switch immediately to a plug Virginia. Or maybe if Irish Flake is getting to me, anything Syrian is pretty much the opposite of Irish, so I'll go that route. Fixes me right up. Σ = 0.

That's how it works, right? :puffy:
... I've been doing it wrong this whole time!
:doh:

Greenbriar

So I’ve only been straight up gonna loose my lunch once or twice from tobacco and it was always cigar related. I’ve gotten a little dizzy before from a pipe and there’s been a time or two that I’ve felt my stomach a little and said, hmmm that’s strong.

However, have any of you been on the verge of hurling/ I can’t stand up from a pipe?

The reason I ask is that yesterday I had breakfast and followed it with a bowl of C&D Bayou Morning (I think I’ve had it once before). About 30 minutes after my pipe and about an hour fifteen after breakfast I got crazy sick. I also drank a little more coffee than normal, but my caffeine tolerance has always been really high.

I’ve been trying to isolate the issue, because there was some taters in my breakfast that came from a bag where some others were rotten. There was also some bacon that had been open in the fridge for a week. But no one else had issues.

After about an hour and a half and a short nap I got to where I could stand, but it was probably 3-4 hours before I sort of felt normal again.
Sounds strange but worse I ever got it was from an aromatic. Top Black Cherry from G&H. Should be said it was my first year smoking but still. Did not see that coming. Also another thing you don’t expect from an aro, after smoking the room note was absolutely foul

dryan

Sales
I pretty much gave up on cigars with the exception of once or twice a year because of the nicotine. I've never thrown up from it, but at least a time or two I had to take a nap and sleep it off.

Every once in a while if I smoke too many bowls in a pipe I'll get it, and there was once with, I think it was Irish Flake or something, I had a rather large bowl as did my father. That stuff hit us both and he had to take a nap and I went and crashed for a few hours. The only other real time I got it bad was right after a smoking contest I took part in right after I moved to SC. I was sitting in a cloud of smoke and had mine going for 40 some min without a relight... well, on the way back to my girlfriend's house (my now wife) I started getting all the symptoms: nausea, spins, sweats.... I had to crash on her guest bed for a few hours.

Islayphile

This is the the bestest, most wicked stuff you’ve never had (which I’m smoking right now).
The skinnier the stick, the more potent. The fatty on the left just made my knuckles sweat for about 30 minutes.
The one in the bag, well, just consider that Hannibal Lechter.

View attachment 68270
Do want!

You had me at knuckle sweat.

Last edited:

Danny

This is the the bestest, most wicked stuff you’ve never had (which I’m smoking right now).
The skinnier the stick, the more potent. The fatty on the left just made my knuckles sweat for about 30 minutes.

View attachment 68270
How hard did he laugh when he gave you those, and what was the reaction of the others?

jpberg

Wicked Insightful
Staff member
Sales
How hard did he laugh when he gave you those, and what was the reaction of the others?
Well Pat has had those stashed for a year, and coincidentally he happened to give me that Falcon chimney. So what does the fiddle stickser think I’m going to do?
After he was sure I wasn’t going to die he allowed himself a smile. The fiddle stickser.

MasterJoda

View attachment 68270
No lie, I almost got nauseous just looking at those. They look simultaneously delicious and fierce.