What's new

Off center drilling

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Honestly, I'm almost relieved I'm not happy with it. This is only the second time I've paid over $200 for a pipe and I went back and forth for almost two weeks before pulling the trigger. While I'm no expert on pipe making, there is a healthy fingertip's worth of depth in the chamber under the draught hole. S.P. Was very accommodating and candid but I heard a couple of things that made me wonder. The first was about how it passed both caminetto and smokingpipes QC tests, and also that once they receive it back, it will go back up for sale at the same price. I don't know, those decisions are above my pay grade. I'm just happy that for once, I had the discipline to actually think about it before lighting up. I guess that's what happens when I pay over $100 for a pipe. On a side note, has anyone else had issues with caminetto? Because if made and priced right, their take on the hawkbill still catches my eye. That is, assuming that my latest purchase was an anomaly. Thanks again everyone for helping me step back, take a deep breath, & save $320.
SP will sell ANYthing. I don't know if they've changed policy or if they just move so many pipes... but I've had a few real losers from them, and it's such a hassle for me to send a pipe back internationally that I kept them. But I don't really buy from them anymore because of it. The one that broke it was an unsmoked "estate" which I believe they have to call the pipe once it's been returned by someone...thing's so crooked it's laughable, and that on a 400 dollar Autograph. It's not right. Good folks there, and they've worked hard to be #1 in many departments, but they'll sell anything, in my experience.

Maddis

Sales
Sales
I purchased an estate from them from a well-known artisan. Beautiful pipe, but it developed a dark spot on the top of the shank after a couple of bowls. I poked gently at it with a dental tool and went right through into the airway. SP took it back despite the fact that it was an estate and had been smoked previously. They were pleasant about it, but I did have to push a little, saying, "look, I know it's not brand new but this pipe was drilled improperly. It's too close to the O.D. of the shank."

craig

20190120_213726.jpg
I understand your annoyance.
this is one of my pipes I got from Crete it's a pipex bent brandy in a natural finish.
As you can see the draft is drilled off centre and too high by a few mm.
however it cost me less than £30 and it smokes fine apart from a little unsmoked tobacco at the bottom.
for the price I paid I can live with it and I still count it as one of my favourites.
however if I paid what you did I would expect fit and finish to be spot on.
part of me thinks yes the manufacturers quality control was a bit lax in that one, but what of the vendor?
They must inspect the pipes before selling them and part of me wonders where they just hoping that the buyer either wouldn't notice or not care enough or find it too much of a hassle to return it.
personally I would be more annoyed with the vendor for passing it off, especially giving it's $320 price tag, fair enough if it was a cheap basket pipe as you get what you pay for but for a price tag that high I would expect much more from both manufacturer and vendor.

lowercaseG

I didn't post this earlier because it felt like piling on & other than this pipe I've been satisfied with s.p. But I also noticed a crack in the shank. The inside of the air hole looks pretty rough too, although you probably can't see it from the pics. Again, to the pipe makers, or knowledgeable folks, I know this is not good. But how bad is it exactly? P.S.A. Don't buy a caminetto smooth hawkbill (05) (AR) if you see it pop up on smokingpipes in the next few days.

Attachments

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
It's very discouraging to hear of these issues with pipes from SP. I can't say I have ever had issues with them. I have returned only two pipes through out time with them. Both were estates-one had major drilling issues. The other was a strawberry wood pipe that had a bad spot that caused burn out. Both of the pipes haunt me because I really liked them until I had issues. I would still buy from them though as I think they will work with folks on allowing customers to send pipes back for honest reasons.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
SP will sell ANYthing. I don't know if they've changed policy or if they just move so many pipes... but I've had a few real losers from them, and it's such a hassle for me to send a pipe back internationally that I kept them. But I don't really buy from them anymore because of it. The one that broke it was an unsmoked "estate" which I believe they have to call the pipe once it's been returned by someone...thing's so crooked it's laughable, and that on a 400 dollar Autograph. It's not right. Good folks there, and they've worked hard to be #1 in many departments, but they'll sell anything, in my experience.
Sasquatch:
That would be very painful--a $400 Sav Autograph. $400 is some serious cash just to let ride, and that just stinks.
That bothers me that a pipe that is of this caliber wasn't represented better to the seller.:cautious::(
You folks have me gun shy now as I have heard stories, but haven't really purchased a lot of pipes from them like others, but if I ever can--I'm kinda gun shy about their estate stuff now.

mdromero

Just a thought, has anyone ever called or emailed them prior to purchase, have them pull the pipe your interested in and have it in hand to look it over and answer any questions you may have before you purchase? This is what I do before purchasing a pipe online, saves a lot of time and frustration after the purchase.

WalkinStick

Driving the Bandwagon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Just a thought, has anyone ever called or emailed them prior to purchase, have them pull the pipe your interested in and have it in hand to look it over and answer any questions you may have before you purchase? This is what I do before purchasing a pipe online, saves a lot of time and frustration after the purchase.
Yes. They have zero problem doing it. They’ll also send you more pictures and even a video of the pipe, if you like.

sfduke

Sales
If I get around to taking pics and getting a seller account I might have a well drilled lightly smoked ser jac hawkbill id get rid of for less than that which I paid $375 for. FWIW.

SP will definitely sell anything.

Great company but volume means they can’t qc everything.
SP used to be my go to. They have gotten too big that the service is no longer the same and the QC is gone. Lack of communication and just one of the big website these days. Glad to see them being successful, but wish it was not at the cost of their customer service.

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
SP used to be my go to. They have gotten too big that the service is no longer the same and the QC is gone. Lack of communication and just one of the big website these days. Glad to see them being successful, but wish it was not at the cost of their customer service.
If you call them they’ll do due diligence for sure. And I credit them for that because outside of being in a B&M and seeing a pipe yourself that’s as close as you can get.

I’ve seen lots of turds at B&Ms too. Just gotta ask for a closer look. Their customer service is pretty solid and they take the time to try to translate that experience to the Internet well. The volume thing is a challenge but I don’t truly fault them, one mans turd is another mans... polished turd? I dunno.

mdromero

smokingpipes.com is growing and I'm glad they are, but I have never seen their growing pains reflected in their customer service to customers. At least not to me, ever, and I've been doing business with them for years online and in store. I just live a few hours drive from Little River, SC. Makes for a nice Saturday day trip!

lowercaseG

smokingpipes.com is growing and I'm glad they are, but I have never seen their growing pains reflected in their customer service to customers. At least not to me, ever, and I've been doing business with them for years online and in store. I just live a few hours drive from Little River, SC. Makes for a nice Saturday day trip!
Smokingpipes customer service is totally fine and I'll buy from them in the future.I could have called and they would have gone out of their way to look the thing over for me. But I made an impulse buy at 11:30 pm knowing that if I wasn't satisfied, I could return it. Turns out, I wasn't. There's the small hassle of sending it back in but if it wasn't for online retailers and the like, I'd probably think peterson was the only company that made pipes.

mdromero

Smokingpipes customer service is totally fine and I'll buy from them in the future.I could have called and they would have gone out of their way to look the thing over for me. But I made an impulse buy at 11:30 pm knowing that if I wasn't satisfied, I could return it. Turns out, I wasn't. There's the small hassle of sending it back in but if it wasn't for online retailers and the like, I'd probably think peterson was the only company that made pipes.
Funny you should say that, because they own Peterson pipes now... LOL