What's new

OK... looking into getting a Falcon. Help a newb out...

mongo

Dammit all! Thanks to @WalkinStick posting up his new carved Meerschaum bowl, I have a hankering for a meer bowl Falcon. I think I'd prefer a bent stem. Where can I research this? Trying to decide if I can swing this cost wise. I mostly smoke my Baki meers, the occasional cob, my Norm apple, and the occasional briar that screams to me to be smoked. So, I guess it's only right that I throw a Falcon into the melee, right? Pretty sure I want a meer bowl, but only if it's a quality one, not one that I'm gonna chuck out into the woods....

Help a brother out please!

Ozark Wizard

Tobaccopipes has a lot of types of stems, most in stock, and shows a lot of bowl options, not generally in stock. But they can give you an idea. 4Noggins is light on stems, but usually has the bowls they picture. FleaBay can possibly be a source as well. There's a few overseas vendors I've browsed but not sprung. I'm sure there's others as well...

craig

Dammit all! Thanks to @WalkinStick posting up his new carved Meerschaum bowl, I have a hankering for a meer bowl Falcon. I think I'd prefer a bent stem. Where can I research this? Trying to decide if I can swing this cost wise. I mostly smoke my Baki meers, the occasional cob, my Norm apple, and the occasional briar that screams to me to be smoked. So, I guess it's only right that I throw a Falcon into the melee, right? Pretty sure I want a meer bowl, but only if it's a quality one, not one that I'm gonna chuck out into the woods....

Help a brother out please!
as you may know I love falcons, I have had one carved meer bowl and it wasn't a good experience im afraid, the one I had the threads where plastic which were kinda nailed in place after a while the thread just came away from the meer....my advice would be smoke your traditional meers and stick to briar when it comes to falcons.

you may have a different experience to me so ymmv

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
@mongo like @snake said, the older bents were better curved. I don’t like the angle of the newer ones. My absolutely favorite is the straight stem with slightly bent bit. I smoke those more than anything. Like @Spillproof says, I smoke my falcons a lot more than WAYS would suggest. They’re fantastic pipes.

Any of the sources listed here are great to order from. I got my most recent meer bowl from GQ. There’s a seller on eBay out of Estonia that always has some of the weirder stems at reasonable prices. I got a green tube shillelagh with a white bit from him for somewhere around $40 shipped. I’ll try to find his name and PM you.

Edited to add: @craig I had the same problem with one of my older meer bowls. This newest one I’ve got is pinned as well, but seems much sturdier. The threads lock up tight and there’s no slack in the pins at all. I’ll see how it goes after 50-100 smokes, but I already think it’s better than the last pinned one.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner

craig

@mongo like @snake said, the older bents were better curved. I don’t like the angle of the newer ones. My absolutely favorite is the straight stem with slightly bent bit. I smoke those more than anything. Like @Spillproof says, I smoke my falcons a lot more than WAYS would suggest. They’re fantastic pipes.

Any of the sources listed here are great to order from. I got my most recent meer bowl from GQ. There’s a seller on eBay out of Estonia that always has some of the weirder stems at reasonable prices. I got a green tube shillelagh with a white bit from him for somewhere around $40 shipped. I’ll try to find his name and PM you.

Edited to add: @craig I had the same problem with one of my older meer bowls. This newest one I’ve got is pinned as well, but seems much sturdier. The threads lock up tight and there’s no slack in the pins at all. I’ll see how it goes after 50-100 smokes, but I already think it’s better than the last pinned one.
hopefully it lasts for you Jake, I was extremely gutted when mine went tits up because the bowl itself was more expensive than a brand new complete falcon.