What's new

Ongoing Virginia review thread

Jack Swilling

LGF has Virginia, Burley and Perique. It is rightly, highly, regarded in my opinion.
As to the notion that straight Virgina blends are diminishing, so it would seem.
I am a hoarder.
Brand Reiner
Blended By R.L. Will
Manufactured By Kohlhase & Kopp
Blend Type Virginia/Perique
Contents Burley, Perique, Virginia
Flavoring Honey, Orange
Cut Flake

gnossos

Russian spambot
Patron
Honestly I had never even considered aging / cellaring / hoarding for a long time, then I found pipe forums and everyone talked about it but I still didn’t do it, then I somehow accumulated a bunch of tobacco.

Now newbies get shunted to r/pipetobacco out of the gate and cellaring is presented as table stakes

So I suspect we have a big influx of people just buying bulk and creating frenzies

I went to Peretti’s once and some kid was there that drove for 4-5 hours because he heard the might have Stonehaven. Had never smoked it before. Had just started smoking from what he indicated. Like not long enough to even determine a preferred style. Still buying in bulk because o/~cellarrrrinnggggo/~

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Kinda. A part of me wishes I had 100 tins of Dunhill Flake, but really, I'm happier with the eclectic pile of tins I have, some of which are untried blends. Will I open them and find that they are splendiforous and wish I had cellared more of them? Maybe. But the odds are I'll go back to smoking fresh tins of Club Blend. There's a fairly long history of that here now. My cellar has been more about the slow, quiet accumulation of tins over time because up here you just can't buy a pound, it's 280 bucks. Slow and steady.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
I can't remember if I mentioned it on the old board or not, but the thought crossed my mind here earlier, so I'll review Erik Stokkebye 1855 and the 1931 Navy Flake.

1855 Virginia on the left, what's left of 100g and the Navy Flake on the right.

The 1855 is a big broken flake strands, typical Mac Baren construction. It reminded me of other European virginias, most notably Mellow Mallard. It's not quite as mellow or sweet as MM though. It's a little more on the hot/cigarette side. Not to say it's awful or anything, but it just has slightly rougher edges than Mallard, which has no edges at all. This stuff is pretty good. Slight anise on the nose maybe? Maybe. Tonight it did, had not thought of it that way before. But a fairly full flavored straight-between-the-eyes virginia pipe tobacco. Tastes okay, smells okay, cheap as chips, what's not to like?

The Navy Flake, the 1931, is another MB product, and it's gotta be hard for them to make someone else a Navy Flake as a sort of flagship blend when their own Navy Flake is sorta their own flagship.... but they did. And it's interestingly different. Rum and honey on the nose, where the MB NF presents honey and sort of dark evil (patented cavendish!) notes but not really rum I think. This is friendly - smooth and sweet, much less spice than the Mac B one. But there is a weird almost sour note - similar to the Macedonian in Brunello, actually, that pervades. At first I didn't like it. After a week or so open, I came to "get it" more, or it opened up a bit or something, but this stuff is terrific.

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
I feel now like Virginia is a kind of tobacco we used to be able to buy. I can't believe how de-stocked all the vendors are, and I mean not just that Dunhill Flake is gone and there's no McClelland. The quiet favorites like Cut Virginia Plug are gone, the weird stuff like Wessex Brown - gone. Aylesbury, McConnell, ... dude can't buy anything. One of my "emergency supply" type tobaccos is Peter Heinrich's because people ignore their offerings. So much the better.

Again, you can't possibly buy this, you could 2 months ago and hopefully it will restock soon. So I apologize for reviewing unobtainium, but other than C/D stuff and Peterson tobaccos and Mac Baren, everything is unobtainium.

This is Heinrich's Golden Sliced.
SP has 100g and 200g tins of this right now. https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Peter-Heinrich/

ChristTiger

Resident Feline
Sales
I can't remember if I mentioned it on the old board or not, but the thought crossed my mind here earlier, so I'll review Erik Stokkebye 1855 and the 1931 Navy Flake.

1855 Virginia on the left, what's left of 100g and the Navy Flake on the right.

The 1855 is a big broken flake strands, typical Mac Baren construction. It reminded me of other European virginias, most notably Mellow Mallard. It's not quite as mellow or sweet as MM though. It's a little more on the hot/cigarette side. Not to say it's awful or anything, but it just has slightly rougher edges than Mallard, which has no edges at all. This stuff is pretty good. Slight anise on the nose maybe? Maybe. Tonight it did, had not thought of it that way before. But a fairly full flavored straight-between-the-eyes virginia pipe tobacco. Tastes okay, smells okay, cheap as chips, what's not to like?

The Navy Flake, the 1931, is another MB product, and it's gotta be hard for them to make someone else a Navy Flake as a sort of flagship blend when their own Navy Flake is sorta their own flagship.... but they did. And it's interestingly different. Rum and honey on the nose, where the MB NF presents honey and sort of dark evil (patented cavendish!) notes but not really rum I think. This is friendly - smooth and sweet, much less spice than the Mac B one. But there is a weird almost sour note - similar to the Macedonian in Brunello, actually, that pervades. At first I didn't like it. After a week or so open, I came to "get it" more, or it opened up a bit or something, but this stuff is terrific.
The 1931 Flake is great. I've been smoking it since it was released. I'm surprised you're not put off by the strength a bit. Most of the time I'm fine, if I keep a slow cadence, but every now and then it punches me in the face.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
The 1931 Flake is great. I've been smoking it since it was released. I'm surprised you're not put off by the strength a bit. Most of the time I'm fine, if I keep a slow cadence, but every now and then it punches me in the face.
Yes, it's not a chug-chug blend, I have to do the bowl in two tries, or have my blood sugar way up off the charts to combat it.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
Update: I cracked a tin of 2015 Mac Baren Virginia Flake. This stuff has mellowed significantly in 3 years. I mean, unrecognizeably. It is now smooth and easy, no real edges at all. Still not quite the vanilla-petals voyage of Dunhill Flake, but it is really easy to get along with.

PipeInTheD

Update: I cracked a tin of 2015 Mac Baren Virginia Flake. This stuff has mellowed significantly in 3 years. I mean, unrecognizeably. It is now smooth and easy, no real edges at all. Still not quite the vanilla-petals voyage of Dunhill Flake, but it is really easy to get along with.
Underrated flake IMO. Its one that is completely different with 3-5 years age than when fresh. Fresh its sharp and temperamental, but this changes with some age / mellowing. Not a complex smoke by any means, but thats not a bad thing in some cases.

So, I had another bowl here working on a stem, that's a good way to forget about the pipe and just enjoy it. My other bowls have been more focused (and one dog walk).

Union Square from GL Pease.

Nice looking flake and a generous amount in the tin - funny how 50 g from some folks is a little plug and from others it's a huge wad. This is a huge wad of more or less whole flakes in good condition. Very uniform in appearance. It's soft, breaks up easily. Packs and lights well because of it.

The tin note is a sort of dry musty virginia, not a deep raisiny sort of smell. It was suggested above that there's a light fruit topping present - apricot or so, and that might be. It smells mostly like tobacco but a little edge of something bright does show up in the tin note.

In the pipe it's friendly if a little monochromatic. Not as sweet (or sweetened) as some of the Danish or German tobacco in the thread so far, this is a little more "serious", old-man tobacco I call it. It's in no way like Scottish Flake from McConnell, but that's the kind of thing it reminds me of - a "dirty" virginia drifting to bitter the way dark chocolate does. But it stays the course, never falls into acridity or harshness (unless you really huff it). Room note is fine, snork is not spicy or mean. It's fairly full in terms of smoke volume and flavor, but not very strong in terms of nicotine, which is nice. Only a little gentle spice at times.

In a sense it reminds me of the HH Pure, it's really middle-of-the-road at all points (something many va blends do NOT manage!). Pretty easy to get along with, and seems to present similarly bowl after bowl. I didn't find a lot of development as a bowl progressed. I did feel that the overall experience was a little better with the tin open for a couple weeks - a little air seemed to open the blend up just a bit, more flavor, less edge.

This is perfect for people who don't want any artificial sweetness, and for people who want something to smoke while they are mowing or driving. It's not complicated, or if it is, it's so complicated that it presented to me as pretty uniform, I couldn't pick it apart and name leaf types or anything like that.

I’ve smoked 2 tins of union square and had two different experiences. The first was similar to your’s, but the second had a strong smell of that rum topping that C&D uses on its blend. I liked the first experience better than the second as I’m not a fan of that topping.