What's new

Oom Paul Stem draw - need to be widened

BSTpipes

That'll do, Pig.
Sales
Best to straighten the stem out first - hold it in boiling water (just the bent area, not the tenon) or heat it up with a candle flame - this is not as tricky as it sounds, but the stem is acrylic, so it will be hard.... and hard... and hard.... and then suddenly it will be floppy soft, like there is no middle ground at all with acrylic.

How sure are we that it is the stem itself and not an issue with the airway hitting the stem in the mortise? Does the stem draw poorly out of the pipe?

SteveNH

Patron
Best to straighten the stem out first - hold it in boiling water (just the bent area, not the tenon) or heat it up with a candle flame - this is not as tricky as it sounds, but the stem is acrylic, so it will be hard.... and hard... and hard.... and then suddenly it will be floppy soft, like there is no middle ground at all with acrylic.

How sure are we that it is the stem itself and not an issue with the airway hitting the stem in the mortise? Does the stem draw poorly out of the pipe?
The stem draw is tight out of the pipe. And yes, I pulled out the balsam filter.

I will try to estimate the drilled diameter on the tenon. The bit has little flare and appears to have a smaller opening.

tipofthelake

Have you ever seen the rain?
Patron
Have you smoked it any and used a few pipe cleaners? My half bent used to have a spot in the stem that collected fuzz off of pipe cleaners such that the fuzz would plug when drawing on it but it would still pass a cleaner. Once I figured that out I carefully smoothed it with some wire that I had twisted into a makeshift reamer.

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
Carefully. Here's a quick open up I did on a Peterson, used two little files and a countersink for the tenon, and spiral scroll saw blade for the slot cleaned up with light sanding. Polished with toothpaste on a CW pipe cleaner with one end secured to hold it taut.

View attachment 32785 View attachment 32788 View attachment 32789 View attachment 32787 View attachment 32790 View attachment 32791
Gorgeous work @Thelonious monkfish - I remember seeing this before and realizing how many of my estates need this treatment

SteveNH

Patron
Carefully. Here's a quick open up I did on a Peterson, used two little files and a countersink for the tenon, and spiral scroll saw blade for the slot cleaned up with light sanding. Polished with toothpaste on a CW pipe cleaner with one end secured to hold it taut.

View attachment 32785 View attachment 32788 View attachment 32789 View attachment 32787 View attachment 32790 View attachment 32791
Did you widen the draught hole from tenon to bit?

It looks like the spiral scroll saw could get into the stem, unless both sides have the circular tab.