What's new

Opening a paraffin sealed jar

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
Is there any way to do this without making a huge mess? A few months back I bought some jarred tobac from someone who was clearing out their cellar and all of the jars had been dipped in paraffin wax. I opened the first one tonight and ended up with wax chips all over the place. I ran a knife around underneath the lid before trying to unscrew it, that didn’t seem to help much. Any tips?

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
Thanks for all the suggestions, parafilm definitely seems to be the way to go if extra security is a concern. I've got jars I put away nearly two decades ago, never used any kind of wax and none has failed yet. I get the concern for extra security in theory but in practice I've yet to see the need for it.
absolutely.

when I said I've been using it, I was referring to my whiskey collection. I usually rebottle every open bottle to several 40ml and 100ml ones to keep the
whiskey fresh, because I simply cannot drink as much as I get every year. tobacco tins seem to be much better sealing than bottles with a screw on cap.

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
@tfdickson, what you end up doing to remove the paraffin?
Nothing so far. I got the first jar open using a box cutter and a flat head screwdriver but that led to little paraffin chips all over my desk and floor which were a pain to clean up (apparently wiping them up with a wet paper towel was a bad idea- wax streaks all over the place). I think with the next one I’ll use some sort of heat as suggested above and try to make it pliable enough to take off in one go. @tipofthelake ’s suggestion is very tempting though.

glassjapan

The easiest way to remove wax is to use the same method that put it on there. Many years ago, I bought a cheap pot from the Dollar Store and a bunch of wax and melted slowly in the pot. Then I let it cool until the wax hardened and put it up. Years later when I wanted to remove the wax, I heated the pot up until it melted and then dipped the wax end in and slowly melted it all away. Then the hard part. There's always wax inside the ring that holds tight like death. A heated knife along the edge finally loosens it up. It is a sure fire way to seal without any chance of a failing seal. It's just a MAJOR pain in the butt. Parafilm is much easier and I used it for years before switching over to mylar bags.