What's new

OTC Tobacco Recommendation

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
Stopped at my local liquor store to buy some scotch and to my surprise they have a small tobacco selection. Never had any of the following pictured. Any thing I should try?

View attachment 22920 View attachment 22921
Carter Hall and prince Albert would seem to be safe choices as you will likely enjoy them, or at least not object to them. Sprt seems to have quite a few who find it enjoyable for an easy smoke as well. The captains are good enough, depending on if you enjoy light smoking aromatics. A lot of the other stuff looks suspiciously like ryo filler. Nothing wrong with it, just not necessarily ordinary pipe tobacco.

StompyMcFat

I would say the Gambler, the Tin Star and the Dean's are meant for RYO. Super Value and Smokers Pride are legit Pipe tobacco, but available for very cheap online in smaller pouches to make sure you like them. If I was buying a few, I think I would get Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, some Half and Half and Middletons Cherry. The MC will suprise you, let it air for a few days and you would hardly know it is an automatic.

Kiowapipe

Nice! Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh are classics that you probably ought to try, if only as reference points. You may even find that you really like them. PA is in my personal top 5. I suppose every pipe smoker should also try Captain Black White at some point. When the average civilian thinks of the smell of pipe smoke, they're thinking of the smell of CBW. Personally I'd much rather smell it than smoke it 😁

Cherry, SWRA, and Half & Half are worth trying once, too.

Super Value and Smoker's Pride are OK if you don't mind drug store aros. I generally don't do aromatics, but I think SP actually makes a pretty decent straight black cavendish.

Enjoy your OTC explorations, you've got a nice little menu there 😊

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I highly recommend SWRA, CH and PA. SWR and Half and Half are recommended. If they have the pouches of Smoker's Pride Rich Taste, get one of those. It gets mixed reviews, but I like it. Middleton's Cherry is good, but I rarely see it in the pouches, so I don't get it very often. Mixture 79 will either work for you or it won't. People are pretty polarized on this one. You should try it though to find out which pole you are.

Last edited:

craig

personally speaking I would say Carter hall, Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert.....in that order.
All three are good smokes, but I find Carter hall the better one as it has just a touch of slightly aromatic top flavour, Raleigh from what I remember it's a bit more heavily flavoured and the Prince in my opinion is just straight up burley.
either way you won't go wrong.
I was going to try the captain black when I was in Crete but at €20 a pouch that was a no way...

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
personally speaking I would say Carter hall, Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert.....in that order.
All three are good smokes, but I find Carter hall the better one as it has just a touch of slightly aromatic top flavour, Raleigh from what I remember it's a bit more heavily flavoured and the Prince in my opinion is just straight up burley.
either way you won't go wrong.
I was going to try the captain black when I was in Crete but at €20 a pouch that was a no way...
You've never tried CB?:unsure: Heck, we can make that happen.