What's new

OTC Tobacco Recommendation

Stopped at my local liquor store to buy some scotch and to my surprise they have a small tobacco selection. Never had any of the following pictured. Any thing I should try?
I would buy a pouch of each of the ones on the shelf from Mixture No. 79 through the Middleton Cherry. These are all classic American OTC pipe tobaccos & imho a must-try for anyone who smokes a pipe.

SmokeRings

The smokers pride stuff is definitely no high end smoke, but on the other hand if taken in context with the price paid it's definitely worth the chance from my experience, the Black Cavendish in particular they do well, mild, sweet, well behaved and supremely affordable, not sure what more you could ask for unless it was tobacco flavor...but if you wanted that you wouldn't be smoking a Cavendish anyway I suppose

Arkie

If you decide to try the Mix #79, smoke it in a cob or a pipe that you wouldn't mind discarding. It is infamous for ghosting (tainting) pipes. A lot of the stuff that comes in one pound plastic bags is saturated with propylene glycol (pg). You might like it if you can get past the artificial sweet taste.

craig

If you decide to try the Mix #79, smoke it in a cob or a pipe that you wouldn't mind discarding. It is infamous for ghosting (tainting) pipes. A lot of the stuff that comes in one pound plastic bags is saturated with propylene glycol (pg). You might like it if you can get past the artificial sweet taste.
I remember a pouch of Carter hall I got I had half a pouch left and forgot about it...found it two years later and you would think I only just opened it and left it air for 5 mins...

WalkinStick

Driving the Bandwagon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I remember a pouch of Carter hall I got I had half a pouch left and forgot about it...found it two years later and you would think I only just opened it and left it air for 5 mins...
I have a pouch of Carter Hall from 2012. I smoked a little of it and never finished it. It’s still at the same moisture level it was when I bought it.

Kiowapipe

I have a pouch of Carter Hall from 2012. I smoked a little of it and never finished it. It’s still at the same moisture level it was when I bought it.
I've seen online reports from people who opened 50+ year old PA cans (which seemed only ever "sealed" in the sense that the lid was shut) and they said it tasted more or less the same as a fresh pouch. Seems it's pretty sturdy stuff 😁