P&C does it again!

jpberg

Wicked Insightful
Staff member
Sales
Is now a good time to bring up the paracord bracelet and the coffee?
YES!!42C3D825-4629-413B-A9E8-D55F10B6295A.jpeg
I received this coffee and some tobacco at the same time the debacle was going down. I hadn’t ordered either.
I offered it to @WalkinStick but he was already chapped.
And way to go Bannard - taking a perfectly lovely P&C bash and turn it into something we have to think about.
What are you, a teacher?

Codgerindecline

What do y'all think about P&C converting some house blends over to "blend at home" kits, where they send you the ingredients and you get out the salad bowl and tongs to create your 8 oz of Butternut Burley (or whatever)?

I am of two minds: it's not much trouble to mix up, so why not, if I still want to buy that blend? OTOH, I wish they'd either go to the trouble to still be able to offer the finished blend, or just list the recipe for the blend and let me place the ingredients in the cart. They don't need to tell me where they got each tobacco.

I also imagine this kit approach doesn't work for blends where there is casing or topping applied after the individual tobaccos are mixed, unless they are going to include a "flavor packet", like ramen noodle boxes.
Their lawyers told them the deeming rules sad they could no longer offer the products for sale.
Offering DIY kits was first done, AFAIK, by the brits to get around the flavor ban for RYO (roll up over on that side of the pond).
Individual components would qualify for grandfathering. So...,
This is a very conservative interpretation of where things stand. Right this minute, the atmospherics are a little different than they were in 9/2020 when this policy was implemented.

Yakster

Patron
This reminds me of when the Dairy Council prohibited oleo (artificial butter) from having food dye added to try and discourage competition. It was shipped white, but with a food dye pill that you'd add and mix together with the oleo to make it a more appetizing yellow color.

I heard on the radio once that the reason that you add an egg to most baking mixes is not because they couldn't have included it in the mix and made it possible to just add water but because consumers have a bigger sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when they add an egg, I guess they feel like they're really cooking.

If selling a DIY kit keeps them from discontinuing the product, I say full steam ahead!

Walkman

Per Ardua Ad Astra
This reminds me of when the Dairy Council prohibited oleo (artificial butter) from having food dye added to try and discourage competition. It was shipped white, but with a food dye pill that you'd add and mix together with the oleo to make it a more appetizing yellow color.
My grandfather mentioned this to me several times when I was growing up in the 70s. He did not like margarine - butter or nothing.

WalkinStick

Not a daisy at all
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
YES!!View attachment 102296
I received this coffee and some tobacco at the same time the debacle was going down. I hadn’t ordered either.
I offered it to @WalkinStick but he was already chapped.
And way to go Bannard - taking a perfectly lovely P&C bash and turn it into something we have to think about.
What are you, a teacher?
I actually ended up getting my coffee and tobacco that I didn’t order. About a month after I placed the initial order.

Never did end up getting what I actually ordered. They sent me a coupon though, so, yay?

Greenbriar

I’ve had bad customer service experience with SP as well but generally speaking they do great and even though SC is further away than PA somehow their stuff gets to me faster. After the IPSD thing a few years ago I stopped ordering from P&C unless I had to or the price was just outrageously low (which does not seem to happen much anymore though they used to have some crazy deals before then). The number one thing that made me stop ordering from them is their catalog. I was living at a place that shared an address with another guy and I wanted to stop receiving the catalogs because I knew it would annoy the other guy who got the Mail (it was a business address and the catalogs went to the office and he was a non smoker and you know how those people can be). I politely emailed them, then still got a catalog . Then I wrote to them and said please don’t send any catalogs to this address anymore. Still got them (by now I’m getting p&c plus all the cigar catalogs they make). Then I cut out the address and customer number from the catalog page and sent it back to them and said take this customer info out of your records and I removed that address from my online account. Still got them. Then I MOVED and did a usps change of address and everything. So my wife is on the phone with the secretary from that business the other day and they said not only are they receiving those catalogs, they are now addressed to the guy instead of me!

Codgerindecline

Got a nicely packaged bag of Dorchester this Friday’s afternoon. Ordered Wednesday afternoon, I paid extra for first class, but not priority, since that was all I ordered and wouldn’t get free shipping.

But I am afraid I am going to have to call Customers Service Tuesday anyway. I never got an emai cofirmimg the order. I never got a shipping notice. My on line account shows no record of this order. The card charge is still in “pending” status when I check my statement on line. I think it will roll off by Tuesday. I haven’t had enough problems with them over the years to feel like they owe me even a pouch of Drexel.

Somebody posted on some other forum a while back about a similar experience. He called customer service, the rep laughed, said accounting would catch it eventually, just wat. He did. For several weeks, I think.

Greenbriar

confession time; i got an email from them saying they had a sale on Peter Stokkebye and it just so happens I've been waiting for a deal to stock up on some more cube cut, so I gave in. Placed an order this morning and surprisingly it has just recently processed and is getting ready to be shipped. Email said "on its way" but I know that only means the shipping label has been made, not that it's actually in the USPS's hands---this is how almost every online store operates these days.

N80

Could we all just get rid of our leaf blowers?
Sales
I just placed a $90 order to restock my basic favorites. I did get two tins of Hearth & Home Marquee BlackHouse 10th Anniversary. It said there were limited supplies so I had to order it of course. The only difference from the original BlackHouse is that Russ O. apparently found some stash of special 'orientals' which he replaced w the basic stuff with. Whatever that means. I like the original BlackHouse even though I am primarily an aromatic smoker so I thought I'd give it a shot. Probably got suckered by marketing. It isn't cheap.

I also took a chance on some Lane Dark Red. But it was cheap.

As mentioned, I've never had a bit of trouble with P&C. We'll see how they do this time.

Worknman

I’ve had bad customer service experience with SP as well but generally speaking they do great and even though SC is further away than PA somehow their stuff gets to me faster. After the IPSD thing a few years ago I stopped ordering from P&C unless I had to or the price was just outrageously low (which does not seem to happen much anymore though they used to have some crazy deals before then). The number one thing that made me stop ordering from them is their catalog. I was living at a place that shared an address with another guy and I wanted to stop receiving the catalogs because I knew it would annoy the other guy who got the Mail (it was a business address and the catalogs went to the office and he was a non smoker and you know how those people can be). I politely emailed them, then still got a catalog . Then I wrote to them and said please don’t send any catalogs to this address anymore. Still got them (by now I’m getting p&c plus all the cigar catalogs they make). Then I cut out the address and customer number from the catalog page and sent it back to them and said take this customer info out of your records and I removed that address from my online account. Still got them. Then I MOVED and did a usps change of address and everything. So my wife is on the phone with the secretary from that business the other day and they said not only are they receiving those catalogs, they are now addressed to the guy instead of me!
Thats funny. I finally got tired of the unsolicited cigarsinternational catalog I received in the mail every month from them and called to have my name taken off the mailing list. Normally I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than call any company's automated hotline but given how I already get a little eye roll from the Mrs. every time a new package arrives, the monthly catalog just sort adds that much more irritation to the mix.

Well the good news is Im no longer receiving a useless catalog from cigarsinternational now. The bad news is now Im receiving a useless pipesandcigars catalog every month to take its place. I guess they're determined Im going to be getting a catalog whther I like it or not. 🙄