What's new

paladin black cherry.

craig

so my pouch has arrived, opened it up and the cherry smell is actually quite pleasant, it doesn't fall into the medicinal/caustic/jolly rancher type cherry aromatic smell.
however it takes some getting used too looking at the cut the American otcs utilize, it is basically chunky tobacco dust to me, but I shall have a smoke tomorow and report back my first impressions.

Kayro

Craig, everybody has different tastes and I appreciate that fact. This is only my own opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone as to their tobaxxo choices. To me, Mixture 79 and Paladin Black Cherry are absolutely two of the three worst American OTC blends ever manufactured. Captain Black Grape is the third. There. I said it. You may like them, some people do, I just felt obligated to warn you. Be prepared..

craig

Craig, everybody has different tastes and I appreciate that fact. This is only my own opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone as to their tobaxxo choices. To me, Mixture 79 and Paladin Black Cherry are absolutely two of the three worst American OTC blends ever manufactured. Captain Black Grape is the third. There. I said it. You may like them, some people do, I just felt obligated to warn you. Be prepared..
I appreciate your opinion @Kayro Jay and I certainly won't be offended as our tobacco choices are so wide and varied, for example I enjoy borkum riff bourbon from time to time....possibly one of the most loathed pipe tobaccos on the planet.
on the other hand 1792 flake gets rave reviews and in my opinion if it went off the market tomorow I wouldn't be sad in the slightest.

like I always say....one man's trash is another treasure.

craig

well @JustScott I have had my first bowl of paladin in a well used cob ame i have to say I actually quite liked it, it was a very nice taste and that tongue bite that was so widely record....I got none.

yes a very palatable cherry aromatic that I can see myself enjoying.

I shall have a few more bowls before a more in depth review.

p.s and for those that are wondering....at the present minute in time, I do prefer the paladin over the Prince Albert..... *ducks to avoid hurling missiles and foul mouthed abuse*

Kayro

I'm glad you like it. The newer version of Paladin is rumored to be more palatable than the original. I believe it is manufactured by Lane now but I'm not sure. My sad experience with the original was such that I probably will never know if the new version is any good or not. Ground up rubber baby dolls in my pipe (clothes and all) leaves a lasting impression. Lane did improve Half&Half but I thought it to be a fairly good smoke to begin with. People taste things differently due to body chemistry and so forth. You are absolutely correct when you said "One mans trash is another man's treasure". Happy smoking and I hope you enjoy every puff!

Arkie

A few years after trying Paladin I would have trouble believing it was as bad as I remembered. The burgundy label with the gold knight chess piece and the pouch aroma are so alluring that I eventually try it again. I never seem to learn it truly is as bad as I remember it being. One final word of warning. It can ghost your pipe so badly everything you smoke in the pipe afterwards will taste like a urinal puck smells.

Kayro

A few years after trying Paladin I would have trouble believing it was as bad as I remembered. The burgundy label with the gold knight chess piece and the pouch aroma are so alluring that I eventually try it again. I never seem to learn it truly is as bad as I remember it being. One final word of warning. It can ghost your pipe so badly everything you smoke in the pipe afterwards will taste like a urinal puck smells.
Mixture 79 is worse. I have struggled for days to get that awful ghost out of estate pipes I have bought. I was never completely successful.

mel64us

I'm glad you like it. The newer version of Paladin is rumored to be more palatable than the original. I believe it is manufactured by Lane now but I'm not sure. My sad experience with the original was such that I probably will never know if the new version is any good or not. Ground up rubber baby dolls in my pipe (clothes and all) leaves a lasting impression. Lane did improve Half&Half but I thought it to be a fairly good smoke to begin with. People taste things differently due to body chemistry and so forth. You are absolutely correct when you said "One mans trash is another man's treasure". Happy smoking and I hope you enjoy every puff!
Paladin is not the goopy crap it used to be. I recently found a tinfor $25. The baccy is not as moist as it was and the flavoring is toned down a lot
I actually enjoyed an entire bowl.

craig

Many cherry blends I simply cannot do. They seem to really rip up the back of my mouth. To those who do, and can enjoy this particular belnd I am happy with, and for you. I cannot smoke the blend in discussion here.
I'm like that with borkum riff cherry, I just find the taste vile, it is like overly sweetened cough syrup, which is a shame because the underlying base tobacco is quite nice.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Paladin was for years the worst pipe tobacco I had ever smoked. Subsequent experimentation has shown me that there are other tobaccos I enjoy less. However, I will never forget that single bowl (actually about a quarter of a bowl) experience of putting Paladin in my pipe. I sincerely hope your experience is better than mine was.

craig

Paladin was for years the worst pipe tobacco I had ever smoked. Subsequent experimentation has shown me that there are other tobaccos I enjoy less. However, I will never forget that single bowl (actually about a quarter of a bowl) experience of putting Paladin in my pipe. I sincerely hope your experience is better than mine was.
it was actually @dmkerr and one I wish to repeat.
I am not putting it in one of my briars as once this pouch is gone it is gone and even after one smoke in my cob I call smell that it has already left a very loud chain rattling ghost in that cob.....oh well there is worst ghosts to try exorcise.....*cough* 1792 flake *cough*

Kayro

I think I would like mixture 79 from what people say about the taste, it sounds like an American hybrid Lakeland.
I like Lakelands for the most part. Some are truly outstanding. Mixture 79 is not a Lakeland by any means. I don't know what it is or how to classify it. Its been around for a long time so it must have something going for it. Just because I detest it does not mean it has no redeeming qualities. I just can't see any.