What's new

paladin black cherry.

Arkie

sometimes things and people are beyond understanding.....I must be one of them.
As the saying goes "one man's drink is another man's poison". I like stuff that other guys think is putrid and vice versa so I don't make judgements of other people's preferences. I just felt compelled to warn you that it bites and it leaves ghosts.

craig

As the saying goes "one man's drink is another man's poison". I like stuff that other guys think is putrid and vice versa so I don't make judgements of other people's preferences. I just felt compelled to warn you that it bites and it leaves ghosts.
well one smoke out of that cob has left a very loud cherry ghost, I did go at it to test the waters, and It just started to nibble so I could see how this one would bite big time if you really went at it.

JustScott

Glad you enjoyed it! I've never tried it, because of rumors of bite. I am sometimes susceptible to tongue bite, so I don't usually smoke things that are reported to be bitey. Also the ghosting issue keeps me away. Maybe when I have a few more cobs (and at least one that I'm completely unattached to.) I suppose, when you come down to it, I'm not that big on highly flavored tobacco, either... OK, I've pretty much just talked myself out of trying Paladin, lol...

craig

Glad you enjoyed it! I've never tried it, because of rumors of bite. I am sometimes susceptible to tongue bite, so I don't usually smoke things that are reported to be bitey. Also the ghosting issue keeps me away. Maybe when I have a few more cobs (and at least one that I'm completely unattached to.) I suppose, when you come down to it, I'm not that big on highly flavored tobacco, either... OK, I've pretty much just talked myself out of trying Paladin, lol...
yup you have haha.

my cobs are for the sole purpose of trying new blends before I let them near my briars as I learnt that lesson the hard way with 1792 flake.

JustScott

The hard way is the only way to learn, lol... My lesson came from black rope. I went through a phase with it, also mixed it into a couple other blends but never found anything that worked out really well. Then, after maybe fifteen bowls split between several different pipes, I got to taste it in the background for a few dozen bowls in each (and at one pipe a day, that was like several months...) After that, I haven't been in the mood for it in a while. Occasionally I'll think about smoking it, but then I'll remember that if I do, I'll be smoking it again and again and again, and then I just don't want any.

craig

The hard way is the only way to learn, lol... My lesson came from black rope. I went through a phase with it, also mixed it into a couple other blends but never found anything that worked out really well. Then, after maybe fifteen bowls split between several different pipes, I got to taste it in the background for a few dozen bowls in each (and at one pipe a day, that was like several months...) After that, I haven't been in the mood for it in a while. Occasionally I'll think about smoking it, but then I'll remember that if I do, I'll be smoking it again and again and again, and then I just don't want any.
I've only tried one rope and and that was sliced brown rum twist.....it was in a blend by vs tobaccos and thought ooo this isn't bad.....tried it on its own.....once was more than enough.

Pipepunk

I appreciate your opinion @Kayro Jay and I certainly won't be offended as our tobacco choices are so wide and varied, for example I enjoy borkum riff bourbon from time to time....possibly one of the most loathed pipe tobaccos on the planet.
on the other hand 1792 flake gets rave reviews and in my opinion if it went off the market tomorow I wouldn't be sad in the slightest.

like I always say....one man's trash is another treasure.
I had some coupons for borkuum riff but could only find the whiskey flavor in my area so I let them lapse because that current version is miserable.I do love their version of black Cavendish however

craig

I had some coupons for borkuum riff but could only find the whiskey flavor in my area so I let them lapse because that current version is miserable.I do love their version of black Cavendish however
never tried the black Cavendish as we can only get the cherry and whiskey over here, I used to enjoy the original but that went south in the UK about 3 years ago, it's easily sourced on mainland Europe and I'm on the continent at least once a year most years but I'd much rather use my duty free allowance for amphora.

Kiowapipe

never tried the black Cavendish as we can only get the cherry and whiskey over here, I used to enjoy the original but that went south in the UK about 3 years ago, it's easily sourced on mainland Europe and I'm on the continent at least once a year most years but I'd much rather use my duty free allowance for amphora.
I lived in New Zealand for a short spell, and the amphora red pouch was my go-to. Man, it's been a really long time... Maybe I should try to find that again... 🤔

craig

I lived in New Zealand for a short spell, and the amphora red pouch was my go-to. Man, it's been a really long time... Maybe I should try to find that again... 🤔
I would highly recommend it mate.

I can go for weeks even months just smoking that exclusively.
i wasn't overly fussed at first because I found it bit hard, but once I got used to it and into a gentler rhythm it really rewarded.

it's one of only 3 tobaccos out of the myriad I have tried that if it was all I could get hold of I would be a happy piper.

SmokeRings

I appreciate your opinion @Kayro Jay and I certainly won't be offended as our tobacco choices are so wide and varied, for example I enjoy borkum riff bourbon from time to time....possibly one of the most loathed pipe tobaccos on the planet.
on the other hand 1792 flake gets rave reviews and in my opinion if it went off the market tomorow I wouldn't be sad in the slightest.

like I always say....one man's trash is another treasure.
Borkum Riff Bourbon is a decent OTC...that being said you are better off opening the pouch and waiting until it is crispy dry...it won't bite then

Arkie

Borkum Riff Bourbon is a decent OTC...that being said you are better off opening the pouch and waiting until it is crispy dry...it won't bite then
Back in the early 1970's BR was fantastic but the company that owned it was sold many times and each time it changed ownership the quality suffered.

SmokeRings

Back in the early 1970's BR was fantastic but the company that owned it was sold many times and each time it changed ownership the quality suffered.
Yeah, it ought to be smokeable without so much fuss, but the topping is decent, and at least they price it appropriately for the quality

craig

I think it is pretty much like the likes of erinmore, still the same in name but due to countless sell offs it's a little bit different each time.