Pease Fillmore Advice

Mr_Houston

This week, I opened a 2007 bulging tin of Fillmore. It is an amazing smoke. A bit strong in perique, but within my tolerance range.

A key to its formulation for me is that it is primarily red VA with perique. I love red VAs. I see no reason to balance them with bright VAs, burley, or anything else.

I happened to find this tin in my cellar. I don’t think I have any more and I don’t think I’ve ever smoked Fillmore before. So, I feel like I should buy a pound and get it aging right away.

Questions:
Am I going to be disappointed with a new tin?
Has the formula changed since ‘07?
Will it take 10 years before it’s ready to smoke?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Bach6032

- You likely will be pleased; just my best guess based upon the blend type you've indicated that you like.
- Not sure whether it's blended according to a strict recipe, of if the recipe is adjusted to aim for a specific flavor profile. Anyone here know for sure?
- It is, of course, ready to enjoy when it's fresh. The question may be whether the passing years will increase your enjoyment. Given the type of blend, this seems likely.

But look at it this way: if you do buy a goodly amount and discover that it's not to your liking, someone else likely will trade you for something that you enjoy more. Buying it won't be a loss, it'll be an investment.

3 Olives

Patron
- You likely will be pleased; just my best guess based upon the blend type you've indicated that you like.
- Not sure whether it's blended according to a strict recipe, of if the recipe is adjusted to aim for a specific flavor profile. Anyone here know for sure?
- It is, of course, ready to enjoy when it's fresh. The question may be whether the passing years will increase your enjoyment. Given the type of blend, this seems likely.

But look at it this way: if you do buy a goodly amount and discover that it's not to your liking, someone else likely will trade you for something that you enjoy more. Buying it won't be a loss, it'll be an investment.
Exactly! I’d buy enough to get free shipping.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Questions:
1. Am I going to be disappointed with a new tin?
2. Has the formula changed since ‘07?
3. Will it take 10 years before it’s ready to smoke?

Thanks for any advice.
1. A fresh tin will not taste like a 14yo tin but the perique may actually be more mellow (and the reds less sweet). Sometimes as a VaPer ages the perique sort of takes over (i.e. Escudo). Other times it recedes/blends. You will be dussappointed if you expect it to be identical- but you don't ;-)

2. Almost certainly. The Red Va's available today pale in comparison to what was available 15 years ago.

3. No, blends are sold ready to be smoked. But given the reality that reds are not what they used to be, age will certainly help.

srgjazz

1. A fresh tin will not taste like a '14yo tin but the perique may actually be more mellow (and the reds less sweet). Sometimes as a VaPer ages the perique sort of takes over (i.e. Escudo). Other times it recedes/blends. You will be dussappointed if you expect it to be identical- but you don't ;-)

2. Almost certainly. The Red Va's available today pale in comparison to what was available 15 years ago.

3. No, blends are sold ready to be smoked. But given the reality that reds are not what they used to be, age will certainly help.
I am confused by the “no blends are sold ready to be smoked” statement. What if I want to try something new? Please explain further.
Thanks

Gus

In my Moon
Patron
1. A fresh tin will not taste like a 14yo tin but the perique may actually be more mellow (and the reds less sweet). Sometimes as a VaPer ages the perique sort of takes over (i.e. Escudo). Other times it recedes/blends. You will be dussappointed if you expect it to be identical- but you don't ;-)

I agree with everything.

GL Pease one day wrote that his blends were better after two years, that the recipes were with that in mind, he is a big fan of aged...but if you want to try it and know if you like it...you have to try it when you buy it first.

A personal opinion of mine, for me, regardless of the fact that you can't get the same tobacco varieties as 15 years ago...C&D and the blends they manufacture have lost a remarkable quality since Craig Tayler passed away...I have tins from before his passing that are amazingly delicious, others that I've tried now are unpalatable, even though I used to love them.

A clear example for me is the Kajun Kake, it was delicious, now it is a "thing" unpalatable.

GL Pease's blends are not what they used to be, they have lost a lot...I don't know what C&D has done with their production...but I haven't bought anything from them for a long time, everything is disappointing.

3 Olives

Patron
I agree with everything.

GL Pease one day wrote that his blends were better after two years, that the recipes were with that in mind, he is a big fan of aged...but if you want to try it and know if you like it...you have to try it when you buy it first.

A personal opinion of mine, for me, regardless of the fact that you can't get the same tobacco varieties as 15 years ago...C&D and the blends they manufacture have lost a remarkable quality since Craig Tayler passed away...I have tins from before his passing that are amazingly delicious, others that I've tried now are unpalatable, even though I used to love them.

A clear example for me is the Kajun Kake, it was delicious, now it is a "thing" unpalatable.

GL Pease's blends are not what they used to be, they have lost a lot...I don't know what C&D has done with their production...but I haven't bought anything from them for a long time, everything is disappointing.
You can get get some really good tobacco from Wilke, Watch City, Boswell, LJ Peretti, etc.

Gus

In my Moon
Patron
You can get get some really good tobacco from Wilke, Watch City, Boswell, LJ Peretti, etc.
of course, I know, in my cellar there are several kg, maybe 30 kg, of other tobaccos that are neither C&D nor GL Pease.

especially Peretti, I think I have about 10 kg of Peretti alone.

in the last 5/6 years I purchase much HU,DTM, Motzek,etc in Germany, more than USA tobaccos

Top Bottom